Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-12-2013, 9:12 AM Reply   
Thrilling topic here...

I have a shop vac that I use for wet jobs around the boat, but usually end up taking out the filter as it doesn't do that well when getting wet. So if I try to do dry I have to swap the filter back in and that just gets disgusting.

I was looking at getting another small shop vac for dry only, but then thought perhaps a canister vac with rotating brush head would work better. As long as I can put some attachements on it. I'd just be using it for cleaning out my the boat carpeting. I'm looking for high power and good cleaning ability of course. I can't stand a dirty boat carpet and would love to be able to get a nice clean in 3-4 mintues.

What's everyone using?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-12-2013, 11:08 AM Reply   
I feel ya on the dirty carpet. The BEST vacuum I have found is a hand held DYSON. It's only good for DRY carpet. As a test I
First I blew the carpet out with compressed air so it was real clean Then I used a traditional vacuum then I took the Dyson hand held and was able to suck a bunch more fine dirt out of the carpet. I don't think it has more suction then any other vacume it's more in the way that you can drive the nozzle deep into the carpet as you push it back and forth I use the small flat brush tool that comes with it and your able to stand up the pile and get the real fine dirt that the pile covers up as the cRpet becomes matted over time I like this vacuum so much I bought one for the boat and a car charger (from the UK) because they don't sell them in the US for some reason. I have this vacuum mounted in the boat.

With that said these vacuums are not cheep $300+ and they require frequent cleaning and they only run for about 5-7 mins. Even with those down sides I still own 3 of them. And 2 regular full sized Dysons LOL
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-12-2013, 11:19 AM Reply   
Here's one more reason to own one of these vacuums
You mounted on the wall in your garage and you can use it for the car and the boat and your house. I find that if you can simply pull it off the wall and do a quick cleanup you use it more often and way easier then having to haul out the traditional vacuum cleaner and plug it in and put it away. This is no way is a replacement for a shop vac you need a shop vac to do those big nasty cleanups this one works great or all of their duties
Attached Images

Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-12-2013, 12:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
I feel ya on the dirty carpet. The BEST vacuum I have found is a hand held DYSON. It's only good for DRY carpet.

With that said these vacuums are not cheep $300+ and they require frequent cleaning and they only run for about 5-7 mins. Even with those down sides I still own 3 of them. And 2 regular full sized Dysons LOL
Looks like you have the DC35. The DC44 is out now and is said to have a 5 minute longer run time and the motorized floor tool is supposed to be more powerful. Amazon has refurbs for $229 shipped. I am getting one for Christmas (wife got it for me and I saw the box on the porch a few days ago).

Hopefully I have as good of an experience as you have had.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-12-2013, 1:36 PM Reply   
Nitrous the DC 44 run's for 5 more Min's Wow that's pretty cool. let me know if that's rely the case after you test it out. I wonder how they packed 2X the battery run time in the same size battery pack. We have all hard wood at the house so you don't need a regular full sized vacuum. PLUS one of the nu-forsean up sides of the hand held and limited run time. Ill explain . My wife has a bad habit of making a 5 min simple vacuum cleaning job last like 20 Min's. She will plug in the conventional vacuum cleaner and go to town. NOW that she is used to cordless and only pulls out the conventional vacuum every blue moon I only have to endure 5 min's at the most LOL.

If your looking to get one of these to Replace your conventional vacuum cleaner and you have lots of carpet your will be un-happy. These are not for the type's of people like my Wife that like to do the whole house 1x a week. They are designed to do small 5+min Jobs Every day. For that they work Perfect and I can highly recommend them.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-12-2013, 7:49 PM Reply   
Dang, dyson looks nice. However would be nice if it would run on a cord as well, but I don't think it does.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-13-2013, 8:15 AM Reply   
I have this one and LOVE it. We use if for the garage, cleaning cars, and boats. Filters are cheap and it is all super easy to clean. Than I bring it into the house and do the ceiling fans/grilles/moldings and such. Also after xmas this is what I use for pine needles.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-5-...500/100377372#
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-13-2013, 9:10 AM Reply   
2000$ worth of vacuums. Lol wut?

Get a separate shopvac from walmart for 50$ and keep it dry.

Jesus 300 bucks for a vacuum! Send that my way and ill clean your carpet with a toothbrush.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-13-2013, 3:01 PM Reply   
I use one of these around the job site. It has great suction and the bags are cheap. It's also way quieter than the Rigid. Also, the drain plug on the bottom is nice for dumping out dirty water. The only thing I don't like is the wand is a bit small for big piles of sawdust.

http://www.amazon.com/Vacmaster-VQ60...ords=vacmaster
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-14-2013, 8:10 AM Reply   
I have the Dyson Animal 25, DC35, and a 6.5 hp Shopvac. When it comes to cleaning boat carpet or any carpet for that matter, there is no comparison. The shop vac pics up about 1/3 of what the Dyson does on carpet. Shop vac is great for saw dust, wood chips, leaves, and wet stuff.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-14-2013, 8:42 AM Reply   
I use this dewalt and it works pretty good. A lot cheaper than a Dyson and the battery lasts a lot longer, plus batteries are easy to find and it empties quick too.

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless...ms-dc515k.aspx
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-14-2013, 9:02 AM Reply   
Whoops I missed one of my DC34's in the count down. I have 3 DC34's and 1 DC-16
The DC-16 is what I use in the boat. I leave it on the wall in the garage at the lake house and during the summer it's mounted and charging in the boat. Check Craig's list for the Dyson Hand Held's you can often find them much cheeper then retail. 2 of the ones I got I bought from a deal sight like Woot.com I think I payed $200 each.
Here is a pic of the lake house garage.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-14-2013, 9:40 AM Reply   
No doubt you can find a cheeper vacuum. And I haven't done a head to head against the other cordless hand held's so I can't say "it's the best"I was just impressed at how much more dirt you could suck up after a conventional shop vac did it's job. The cool thing is you can dump the Dyson hand held right b4 you start and when your done you can see exactly how much dirt you sucked up.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       12-14-2013, 10:13 AM Reply   
Man this crowd has come a long way..............................

Any suggestions on blenders?...
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-15-2013, 7:25 AM Reply   
Is that an ice maker built into the wall? I hate you.
Old     (stuntmonkey)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-15-2013, 8:33 AM Reply   
They are cheap, and absolutely awesome. Fill up the cooler, dump a whole load of ice in there, chuck it in the boat and tow it out the door. Done and done.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-15-2013, 11:00 AM Reply   
Where do u find the smaller ones shown in the pic? Ive been all over craigslist and they are the big industrial ones
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       12-15-2013, 12:36 PM Reply   
[QUOTE]Man this crowd has come a long way..............................

Any suggestions on blenders?.../QUOTE]

Ninja

Grant is that a Hoshizaki ice machine in your garage? If so, nice!

I think I'm the only one on the planet that had a bad experience with my Dyson. Spent $400+ twice on engine issues at a local Dyson repair shop and it is still worthless. I have the DC07. I finally replaced it with a cheap Hoover which also sucks, or doesn't suck, whichever way you want to go with it.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-16-2013, 8:34 AM Reply   
Nick yes it's a Hoshizaki I think I Payed $1600 for it. If you want a Ice machine that makes the most Awesome Ice cubes ever check out the Kold Draft. They are larger industrial looking maching (no under the counter machines like my'n) but they produce some of the best mas produced Ice you have seen. Huge crystal clear blocks.
And having the ice machine in the garage close to the boat is awesome. Not having to harvist ice in your fridge and haul it down to the boat is worth the money. If your thinking about getting one "Do It" you will be super happy and kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

Back to the Orignal Topic. Looking foe Dyson Hand Held's is not a for sure thing it's hit and miss. But keep looking and eventually you will come across one. Here is a tip. Yes $300 is expencieve for a vacuum for the boat. Just dig threw all your stuff ur not using right now and Craig's list it! Chances are you can find a bunch of stuff ur not using and sell it on c list and you might even end up with a new vacume and some cash in your pocket.
I payed $60 for the Gold Dyson DC 16 on my garage wall. It needed a new battery $25 and the car charger for the boat $35 and I'm good to go
Old     (Blueliner)      Join Date: Sep 2013       12-16-2013, 9:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I use this dewalt and it works pretty good. A lot cheaper than a Dyson and the battery lasts a lot longer, plus batteries are easy to find and it empties quick too.

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless...ms-dc515k.aspx

Excellent suggestion!!! I have that battery system for other stuff, you can use that thing anywhere! Thanks!!
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-17-2013, 9:51 AM Reply   
Here's a nice corded/cordless dewalt 2 gal. wet/dry. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-2-...500/100092121#
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-17-2013, 11:38 AM Reply   
For shop vacuums I really like the Fein unit I have. It is about half as noisy as any domestic shop vac and has options for filters, wet or dry. It is the Mercedes of shop vacs.