Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Greg2223)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-06-2012, 3:44 PM Reply   
Doing some shopping for next winter. Right now im riding with a 3/2 wetsuit and figure its time to go a little warmer as this winter was a little chilly. Im debating whether to get a dryuit or a thicker wetsuit. I live in Arizona so winters arent like they are in other places but its still cold. Any recommendations as far as functionality, and brands. Thanks
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-06-2012, 3:52 PM Reply   
dry
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-06-2012, 3:54 PM Reply   
I ride with a drysuit in the beginning of the season until I can be comfortable in a shorty. From there I ride with just a heater top or nothing at all.

Some people like the full wets because they can be used for surfing ( ocean) and are probably a bit cheaper. When it is really cold I like a drysuit for the exact fact that you are staying dry...for the most part. It's also easier to share with other people over a full wet.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-06-2012, 3:55 PM Reply   
I live in TX and have a dry suit that I wear sometimes during the winter to surf in. Tried to wakeboard in it, but had problems with handle passes and found that harder falls equate to more water coming in around your neck/wrists, which is no bueno.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-06-2012, 4:07 PM Reply   
Even on days where the temps are completely acceptable for a wet suit.. I will choose the dry suit all day long....

Easier to get in/out of and much more comfortable.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-06-2012, 4:53 PM Reply   
I posted this before recently in another thread, but I go in between with a hybrid. google 'o'neill assault hybrid'. The only issue I have is on bad crashes, you can sometimes get water in through the neck and arms, although I am a thin guy, which probably makes that worse. I wear a wetsuit top/heater top under it instead of a sweatshirt in case I get a little wet. It works well. I like the fact that it's tight like a wetsuit from the waste down.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-06-2012, 6:38 PM Reply   
well, how colds the water you wanna ride in?

Dry suits are boss
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-06-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
You cant pee in a dry suit
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-06-2012, 8:29 PM Reply   
i have a barefoot international drysuit and like it so far. its has all rubber seals and doesn't really leak that much unless i have a hard fall but i am also super skinny. (i will get this kinda of zebra stripes of water on my clothes.) my friend has one too and it only leaks if he falls footing at 40+mph and it hardly leaks like just the ankles and wrists will get damp.
i don't really find it uncomfortable around the neck but if i don't have the seals perfectly laid out at the ankles(like flat). for example if it over laps it will feel uncomfortable after a while. like your leg cramping or losing circulation.
try to get all the air out of it when you get in the water because i heard there is a possiblitly of blowing a seal or zipper.(idk if its true though)

i were two sweats and two long sleeve shirts with life vest underneath, first layer is to absorb the first layer of water that may get through. i also wear a full neopene head garmet for when the water is like 40 degrees. by the end of my run i am pretty heated, but i'd rather be hot than cold any day.

down sides:
also everything seems a bit more work with the drysuit than wearing a 3/2 suit.( bright side to this is everything seems easier once the suit is off)
can't pee, so make sure you go before you jump in.
have to take care of it. not let it lay in the sun for a long period of time. have to use silicon lubricant on the seals. zipper wax helps zipper slide a bit easier.

here is there website if you want to check it out: http://www.thefootersedge.com/equipment/drysuits.html# i'm not trying to adverise or anything just kind of hard find there site.
hope some of this helps...
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-06-2012, 8:39 PM Reply   
oh yeah i got to see an oneil with the noeprene neck the other day.

the constructing seemed better than my drysuit. like the inside seems and the glue around the seals were much better than the barefoot one. but i haven't had any leaks or anything on mine ...

and a other thing you should usually buy a size above your regular size. its better to by big than to small( unless the seals won't fit you) because with buying big it won't matter because the suit get compressed anyway.
Old     (thescott)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-07-2012, 10:47 AM Reply   
Drysuit all day long. We ride all winter with water temps not TOO cold dipping down to the upper 40's. Once I got used to the neck seal I barely notice my drysuit-great range of motion. When the air temps get low, it's pretty damn nice to hop out of the drysuit and be dry in the boat-grab the hoody and turn on the heater-good to go all day. Time between sets increases quite a bit with taking off the drysuit/putting it back on which can get old. At this point in the 'season' I'm itching for warmer water/weather so I can get back to heater top and boardshorts.
Drysuit was probably one of the best wake related buys I've made.
I can't compare to a wetsuit tho-never had the chance to rock a nice new stretchy wetsuit.
Old    sperbet            03-07-2012, 11:05 AM Reply   
drysuit hands down
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-07-2012, 11:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschall View Post
You cant pee in a dry suit
You peeing in your wetsuit now broccoli?
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-07-2012, 11:16 AM Reply   
wetsuit for any water above 40°
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-07-2012, 11:26 AM Reply   
Drysuit. No questions about it. Why be cold and wet if you don't have to be?! Everybody I know here goes heater top until it's too cold and then jumps to the drysuit.
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-07-2012, 12:03 PM Reply   
yessir breakfast boy. I had to claim it was mine
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-07-2012, 2:05 PM Reply   
^^^hahaha!
you territorial devil
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-09-2012, 3:50 PM Reply   
Due to the pioneering ways of one of our wake buddies who loves to ride, but hates to get wet, almost everyone in my crew sports his/her own O'Neill Boost now. We ride early and late, my area gets cold at night, and we wear them all summer long -- garnering quite a few "why is that guy in his drysuit in July" looks along the way. I don't even notice the thing anymore. Highly recommended.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-09-2012, 8:02 PM Reply   
i like my wetsuit, but when the water's cold enough i use my drysuit. it's hard to beat the convenience of not getting wet at all during the colder spring or winter months.

http://www.npxwetsuits.com/index.php...=170&Itemid=84
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-17-2012, 5:01 PM Reply   
I like the dry suit when the water and air are cold <50 water and <60 air, but the wetsuit is fine when the water >50 and <69 and the air is >60, so under combined temps of 110 dgr, drysuit and combined temp of greater than 110 dgr, wetsuit