Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (etang789)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-09-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
Hey guys I was set on getting a Lyman 135 but since it's only a graphic change this year whereas 2010 Watson is a complete new board. Anyone here have tried both?

I am now riding 2008 Shane 136 with Shane Bindings, the bindings have to go it's worned out... The board is still ok, but everytime I ride on my friends 2009 Lyman with 2008 Watson binding I perform much better... Lyman is looser, more pop, softer landing... It's just great, I kinda have to stop myself of using my friends board!

So my big question is would the 2010 Watson better than Lyman?
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-10-2009, 4:42 AM Reply   
you say that the "Lyman is looser" - are you riding the Watson w/ the middle fin? or are you riding the Lyman w/out the 4 removable fins?

i know that doesn't answer your question...i'm just curious, because in my opinion the Watson w/out the center fin is looser than than the Lyman w/ all the fins.

also, my buddy has ridden the '09 Watson, the '10 Watson, and the '10 Lyman. i know he does not like the 2010 Watson as much as he does the 2009 Watson. however, i'm not sure how he likes it compared to the 2010 Lyman. sorry if this isn't much help!
Old     (etang789)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-10-2009, 7:14 AM Reply   
2009 Lyman is looser (with 4 fins at the normal setup) when compared to my 2008 shane

I have not tried any Watson yet, hopefully soon

Jay if your friend can comment about 2010 Watson vs Lyman that would be great... and may be the difference between the new watson and the watson classic would be great too!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-10-2009, 7:19 AM Reply   
Shane!
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-10-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
I've ridden and owned all three. Of course it's all a matter of opinion, but the Watson is the board that I liked the best.

The Shane is the grippiest of all three, yet all three track pretty much the same when on edge. Although, the Watson is the slower of the three while the shane and lyman are about the same speed wise. IMO the watson had the bigger pop of the three with the Shane coming in second and the lyman third.

If you like more wake to wake pop while still being able to have the board loose when flat, then the watson is what you want.
Old     (etang789)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-10-2009, 5:02 PM Reply   
Richard you are talking about the Watson Classic right? not the 2010 Watson?
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-11-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
Sorry, yeah... I was talking about the 2009.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-11-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
Ever try the S4? thats my pick of the current shaped from LF. Tracks hard, lands soft, pops big.
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       11-12-2009, 3:46 PM Reply   
I also liked the S4 over the lyman that I rode for an entire season. When you compare the s4 to the lyman, it feels like a "perfected lyman"
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-12-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
I think I'll be able to answer your original question: Lyman vs. 2010 Watson (new shape).

I have ridden the Lyman for the past two years since it came out and have loved it. It's a fast board, it's got great, soft landings, and tons of pop. It's also pretty solid as far as construction. One of my riding buddies rode for Byerly and kept breaking boards and switched to the Lyman and hasn't broken one since. I don't go that big, so I haven't had that problem, but that's his experience.

I've ridden the new 2010 Watson Hybrid twice now, including today. The new Hybrid is the same shape as the new Watson, only a different core. I only rode it behind the Sesitec 2.0 at TXMC, but I'm pretty sure that is going to be my new board for next year. It had a really good feel to it and I felt very comfortable on the rails with it. I should be riding it behind the boat on Sunday, so I can post more then.

At the very least, you might want to hold off and at least demo a new Watson or Watson Hybrid before you make your purchase, but I don't think you could go wrong with either of those two boards. Those will be the two in my board bag next year.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-12-2009, 6:24 PM Reply   
awesome, pretty keen on hearing more on the new watson shape, definitely post up your thoughts after youve had a boat sesh. Pics would be nice too!
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-12-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
I am probably gunna stop by TXMC sometime soon to check out the Watson Hybrid. It sounds insane.
Old     (etang789)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-12-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
Andrew can't wait for your behind the boat review for 2010 Watson vs Lyman!
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-12-2009, 10:16 PM Reply   
Justin, unfortunately the Watson Hybrid isn't available to demo yet at TXMC but I'll post when it is. Right now a couple of us that are sponsored by LF have the rep's Hybrid to ride for a while. The new Henshaw FLX is in the pro shop but not the Watson Hybrid yet. But stuff is arriving daily.

Here are some pics from today. I was riding cable so I didn't have the fins in, but I love that it is a hybrid flex board with some actual shape on the bottom instead of just being flat.

Upload
Upload
Old     (etang789)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-16-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
any updates?
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-16-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
Sorry, it was cloudy and rainy here yesterday so I didn't get a chance to ride, but hopefully will on Thursday or Friday.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-16-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
Is the Watson flex just for rail riding or should a boat rider consider it too? 99% boat riding
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-16-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
My guess from the sound of it that its going to be similar to the SS recoil in Flex/Rigid board aka hybrid with some sort of ridges or shape to the bottom of the board unlike other flex boards with just a smooth bottom. I currently ride a 2010 recoil with watson ltd bindings and love both very interested in the watson hybrid since most my riding is boat as well.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-16-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
When I talked to Jimmy Redmon at LF about it, he said it is going to be the board that can do everything. He said it has some flex and a grind base for rails, but then still has features and channels on the bottom for behind the boat so that it doesn't just ride like a spoon. I'll make sure to get some pics of the bottom next time I ride it too.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-17-2009, 7:28 AM Reply   
since youre riding cable how did you find the hybrid performed for air tricks? How was the edge and release?

Some close ups of the bottom features would be sweet
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-17-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
Before I went to my recoil I thought the same thing the bottom was extremely smooth then looked at the bottom of my IBEX was damn near the same. The recoil rides about as loose as my Ibex did. Cant wait to see what the watson hybrid looks like and how it rides
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-17-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
you can get a pretty good idea of the Watson Hybrid (as well as the other watson boards) here. video even!!!

http://www.thewakeplace.com/?p=671
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-19-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
just noticed the core lay ups were different on the same board from the two expo videos on wakeplace. im sure these were prototypes to an extent. wonder what the difference in the ride was for having wood in the center vs foam in the center. Im thinking the end result product was/is wood in the center though?

Upload
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-22-2009, 3:44 PM Reply   
Mike is riding one at mccormicks he seemed real happy with it said it was stiffer than a recoil and of course it tracked better without fins than the ss. I can't wait to get on one and compare it to the recoil behind boat and park to the cable.
Old     (loopy)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-29-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
I rode my 139 Watson Hybrid straight out of the box all day yesterday at the cable (and planning all day today as well). Its quite amazing, combining the benefits of flex (snappy pop and buttery soft landings) with the tracking and edge hold of the molded channels of a rigid board. Best board I have ridden in my 10 yrs of wakeboarding. I like the direction that board design is heading =)
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-30-2009, 6:11 AM Reply   
LF sent me a henshaw Flx back in October and Ive been riding it since! It is by far my favorite board ever ridden. It has the same core and grind base as the hybrid watson but its COMPLETELY FLAT on the bottom whereas the watson has channels. The flex is awesome but not too much to make it a wet noodle under your feet. I can't wait to get a hybrid watson to try out, but I imagine the flex and feel will be very similar. Liquid Force has definitely done it this year!
Old     (etang789)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-20-2010, 5:59 AM Reply   
Any updates or further reviews?
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-20-2010, 9:09 PM Reply   
I rode it extensively on the weekend initially I didnt like it so much however when I swapped the original fins with Lyman fins, I fell in love with it. Its got the nice lively poppy feel of a flex but still edges like a champ and lands very soft. I came away very impressed and as much as I love my S4 Im probably going to switch to this board.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-21-2010, 6:04 PM Reply   
Mark, if you decide you want to unload your S4, hit me up. I have an older Watson, Witness, and a Lyman. I mostly ride my Lyman, but I want to pick up an S4.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-22-2010, 3:46 PM Reply   
Vision I definitely will be unloading my S4 but 2 problems one its got a nice rebuilt fibreglass section where I chunked the siderail and 2 Im in singapore!
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-22-2010, 4:01 PM Reply   
Damn! That would be a serious shipping bill!
Old     (etang789)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-24-2010, 11:18 PM Reply   
I just saw the 2010 Watson in person, super cool looking graphics and the bottom of the board design seems like it's gonna have huge pop and super soft landing comparing to the Lyman and seems like it's much better than my 2008 Shane as well. Too bad that they ran out in my size else I would have got it already...

Anymore reviews and comparison behind the boat?