Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-15-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
I am a big guy 6'3" and 280 lbs. I currently have a hyperlite landlock 5'11" and like it but I have been told it is a slow board. I've been looking at the Inland Surfer Red Tide. It touts itself as a good and fast board for bigger riders... For those of you who have tried both boards is there a big difference in the speed of the two boards? I need a faster board that will work a better on smaller waves when we surf the shallow waters of Utah Lake (9-12 feet). In deeper lakes the wave is just fine for the Landlock. Any opinions of the speed of these two boards? Thanks!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-16-2008, 5:15 AM Reply   
I'm 6'2", 220 and have only ridden the HL LL once, an OK board. I recall having a problem with the nose rocker. It seemed like there wasn't enough rocker and so the nose of the board would dig in to the water when coming down from the top of the wave.

I have a HL Broadcast 5.6. I have found the Broadcast for be a very good beginner board. It's stable and easy for the first time rider.

I have an older IS Red Tide and Have ridden the new, '07 model. The IR Red Tide is an excellent board for the bigger rider. I've ridden it as fast as 14 mph. I think that the newer model Red Tide is a better performing board than the model I have. Either Red Tide model should be good for a big guy.

You might also consider the Shred Stixx JaMako or the Wake Outlaws big board.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-16-2008, 9:34 PM Reply   
Bigcat, I think santa should get you one of each and then we can hit Jordanelle next spring and try em out! I could be tempted to bring my broadcast 5.6 to let ya try it. I think its a great idea let me know
Old     (adsman)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-17-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
you will notice a BIG difference with the red tide compared to the landlock. We have both of those boards on our boat and the landlock is still the best to teach on (we will keep it forever), but for a big guy you will notice more speed and more buoyancy with the red tide
Old     (chicagox55)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-18-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
is the red tide and the red woody the same thing?
Old    surfdad            11-18-2008, 3:10 PM Reply   
Hey John,

They are very similar but not the same...although I know many folks refer to them as the same board. Technically, the '08 Red was only sold as a "woody" model, whereas, previous years the Red Tide was offered as a "limited edition woody".

For '08 the nose of the Red was reshaped a bit (more pointy) and I believe that the width was narrowed something like 12mm.

The construction, I believe, other than the obvious visible wood in the woody model, is identical...perhaps more select verners for the woody model for the aesthetics.