Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-25-2008, 6:55 PM Reply   
I think I spelled Etiquitte wrong...

I was wondering what the rules are for driving double-ups in a semi crowded lake, or if you don't drive double ups unless you are alone as they kick rollers out everywhere.

Thanks.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-25-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
this could be a good one...with power turning being looked at so negatively whats the difference between drivin double ups and power turns
Old     (zburns)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-25-2008, 7:34 PM Reply   
The only way double ups aren't as bad is because they serve a purpose as powerturns are completly pointless. But too many double ups can be just as bad
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-25-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
I haven't driven them in populated areas, but we are on the river and can go for 5-15 minutes without seeing a boat at times. I don't think I would drive many in a busy lake unless there was a creek or inlet that had few or no boats.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-25-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
if you complain about rollers from a powerturner, you have no business doing D-Ups on a lake with any other boats trying to board or ski.
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-25-2008, 8:08 PM Reply   
and how about the dumb idiots who circle your boat to drive their DUBS..?? Sometime I just wish I had a potato gun..
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-25-2008, 8:39 PM Reply   
when I say populated, I mean maybe one other boat in the same cove, I'm used to riding in Knights and on the river where you pretty much have it all to yourself, but my parents are planning a trip to a lake I guess so I really want to try to hit a D-up, something you cant do at the 40' wide K.L.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-26-2008, 5:07 AM Reply   
If you drive the double up right it shouldn't be much worse then turning around at the end of the line would be. Don't just drive the straight P style double up cause that will send rollers back down your line. At the end of your line kink off at about a 45 degree angle and go straight for enough time that you can turn back into your wake for the double up.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-26-2008, 7:37 AM Reply   
^^^^^^^
what i was gona mention.

i am sure an occasional one is fine, but don't make a double or nothin contest out there with several othe boats on the water.... this would be another diff of power turns and double ups. Power turns will happen every fall (untill corrected) but D.U.s will only happen a couple times a set and usally NOT in the middle of nowhere
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-26-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
agreed with sbt3, shouldnt be too much worse than just turning around when you have a rider.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-26-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
^^^^^I believe the term for that is a "Dog leg double up".
Old     (greenspirit_hydro)      Join Date: May 2007       06-26-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
Could anyone enlighten a newbie as to what a "power turn" is?
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-26-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
lol, Ross! If you're asking, you just might be guilty! Basically: once your rider falls , bring the throttle back to neutral before turning around to go back to them.
See this thread for more info:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/588605.html?1214506454
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-26-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
Chris-

I am totally that guy! Sorry its true.

I usually always drive double ups, my reasoning is that first off they are super fun and secondly, If tubers can spin circles all day long why cant I? I def know what people are talking about tho- Especially about driving them around other boats, I only do that on days where I have been running the same pattern all day then some one stops right where the shouldnt. Call me an fine. But I try and get everything I can out of my session on the lake, even if that means driving double ups around people.
Old    K.B.C.            06-26-2008, 1:22 PM Reply   
we always drive them at the end of our regular line, busy or not. have to turn around the boat anyway so you might as well try and hit a dub in the process.

and we always drive the "dog legged double" as referred to by m-dizzle. that way we end up driving right back down the same line we came from
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-26-2008, 3:43 PM Reply   
I always drive double ups around other boats. if they are chillin i have no problem driving around them. However; I guess according to this thread i am a hipocrite b/c I hate people who power turn.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-27-2008, 9:11 PM Reply   
If you through one or 2 I am cool but if you come out just to ride double ups when others are riding I will help ruin the lake so you can't use it either. That said I am on a small lake and there is only one good line and everyone here knows well enough. That said it is very easy to be the only one out too!
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-27-2008, 9:16 PM Reply   
Dog Leg Double up! Perfect. Thanks! I just remember when I used to do power turns, I don't want to be that guy again.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-28-2008, 1:40 AM Reply   
i agree... if you are at the end of your line... and you have to turn around.. throw a dub.. y not?!? ur already there... but i dont agree to driven around boats for a dub.. if i were the guy in the boat that was gettin driven around.. it would tick me off..
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-28-2008, 1:42 AM Reply   
i agree... if you are at the end of your line... and you have to turn around.. throw a dub.. y not?!? ur already there... but i dont agree to driven around boats for a dub.. if i were the guy in the boat that was gettin driven around.. it would tick me off.. unless ur driving around a boat full of girls.. then ... throw w/e you got off that dub!!
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-28-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
People may get pissed as you set up for the 1st one but a booted off axis nose 3 will quickly squelch any haters and will also secure you're dominance in "your" cove. If the first is successful it sometimes makes them stop riding and watch. where I ride good riding is few and far between, and its mostly nubs who drive erratic inconsistent lines coupled with powerturns in i/o's.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-28-2008, 3:46 PM Reply   
I dont have a problem with someone driving a upple dub around my boat but ONLY if they actually hit the dub. I dont care if they get hucklebucked, throw a straight air, or something crazy, just dont waste the dub.
Old     (wakeboarddrumma)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-29-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
I personally tell the driver to throw them at each end of the cove where we're turning around. Mainly because if i don't, i'll be riding through our rollers from the previous pass for about 5-10 minutes. So if i tell him to drive a d up, then he'll go back to the previous line and the water is back to butter
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-30-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
I love how people own the lake and will disregard any consideration for safety and others well being, so they can get all they can from that session, but then rag on tubers, jet skiers, and others for driving un-safe. Why would you ever drive a double-up around someone? Do you stare them down too? What if someone was swimming around that boat that doesn't know it just parked in your line of the day.
Old     (wakeboarddrumma)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-30-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
A-Dub,
That was interesting to me too. We don't ride unless there is <5 boats in the cove. And it doesn't get crowded until about 7 boats are in there. Everyone in the cove knows that the ends are for turning around, and so no one sits in the way there.