Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-06-2008, 5:41 AM Reply   
I have a buddy with a 2003 MC X30. It has the Caddy engine with the closed cooling system. My question is, does this boat need to be winterized since it is basically a closed system like a car? The MC dealer said no but the boat mechanic at the marina said that it still requires winterization because the system still draws water from the lake. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-06-2008, 6:14 AM Reply   
Yes, you have to get water out of the heat exchanger or you could crack it. I took delivery of a closed cooling system in Feb, so I didn't have to winterize, but the dealer told me it is one hose to disconnect to drain the heat exchanger. Any water will freeze and expand so also look at putting antifreeze in the ballast system. If it has a heater, it will already have antifreeze from the motor and will be fine.
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-06-2008, 6:22 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info. Could it crack the engine block if it was not winterized? I'm assuming that if it has antifreeze in the system then the engine will be fine.
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-06-2008, 6:29 AM Reply   
1boarder is correct. The engine is cooled by the closed cooling system similar to car's radiator. However, unlike a car's radiator that is cooled by air, your buddy's boat's "radiator" (closed cooling system) is cooled by lake water. Also, the exhaust manifolds on that engine are cooled by lake water so they too have to be drained.
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-06-2008, 6:55 AM Reply   
Thanks again guys. The reason that I ask is that the boat would barely run and it was taken in for service. The shop said that the block was cracked. Some guy at the dealer told him that it did not need to be winterized so he did nothing to it. I'm hoping that maybe they misdiagnosed the problem but I kind of doubt it.
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-06-2008, 7:05 AM Reply   
I can't see the block being cracked with the closed cooled. The exhaust manifolds could crack but the block should have antifreeze in it from the closed cooling system. Did your buddy verify that there was antifreeze in the closed cooling system?
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-06-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
I believe that the dealer said that there was five percent antifreeze in the system. That makes me wonder who is liable since he is very hands off in terms of doing his own boat service. The dealer has always done all of his boat service so it seems to me that they should have had the correct amount of antifreeze in there. I havn't even talked to my friend yet. I just heard about it from the marina guys.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-06-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
5%!!! If the dealership has done his upkeep on a regular basis, I would be telling them they have a problem on their end, not your buddy. Unless 5% is what a boat has normally, which would be pointless anyways, why not just use lake water. Sounds like someone at the dealership goofed on that part of the boat
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       04-06-2008, 4:24 PM Reply   
My Nautique was supplied with 100% coolant, no water in it.
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-06-2008, 6:07 PM Reply   
Yeah Brian C, that was my thought exactly. If a dealer has done all service on the boat why is there not the correct amount of coolant in the system? Sounds to me like they should pony up for the repairs.