Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-27-2007, 9:08 PM Reply   
just wondering what your thoughts are on this boat, i dont know much about them.

it doesnt list how many hours, but says its a turnkey boat and in excellent condition, also has a wakeboard tower, teak deck.

asking 11,500 cdn.

it looks alot to me like a natique hull, similar i mean. any info on this boat would be awesome.

im really in the market for a new boat, like 99% but this boat just looks so nice and yah im not even sure why im thinking about it but it caught my eye so i thought some info on it wouldnt hurt :-)

thanks everyone!

-chase
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-28-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
no word on this boat guys?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-28-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
I'll give you the little I know...remember.

I spent a lot hours on a america skier somewhere in the late 80's. Rode a skurfer for the first time behind this boat. It was before ballast but I could throw hydroslide flips and trick ski inverts. Good for barefooting and skiing. Never had a problem with the boat. The engine is probably the standard 350 or 351 block, holley carb, morse controls and velvet drive transmission that powered all inboards at that time. Engine service should be no problem at any dealer or by an automotive mechanic. It had no strange handling characteristics. I cannot tell you about the wake with ballast but if the fiberglass is good, you have a good boat. I do remember the wake was bigger than a Mastercraft stars and stripes but slightly smaller but closer to a Nautique 2001. If I'm not mistaken, it was either American or Supreme that were made in Ocoee, Florida probably borrowing talent from Correct Craft.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-28-2007, 11:27 AM Reply   
The lower quote is from; Correctcraftfan.com, search American Skier.
Email midwestamericanskier.com for more info.
It is a high quality boat for sure.

I do have an '86 American Skier. That was before the Elan days. They started up in '76 in a plant in Opa Locka, FL. by Ken Elkind who was a big time offshore boat racer. He retired and believed that he could build a high quality ski boat that would be the envy of the tournament boat industry. That ran until sometime in the early 90's and the plant ended up closing. They reopened a few years later at a plant in Kentwood, LA. Ron Tanis was the man who bought all the rights and started producing the boats again with the American Skier name. He had all the original molds and was one of the executive officers employed by Elkind. Sometime around 2001 Ben Favret (a Pro Skier) somehow acquired American Skier and changed the name to Elan boats. They then were known as Elan American Skier. I don't know of any Elan boats that were made after '03 I believe. I really don't know the status of the company presently. There is a web site but everything in it hasn't been updated since '03. The boat was considered by many to be the Cadillac of tournament inboards. They are extremely well made and didn't skimp on anything. I have the original price sheet on my boat and it sold for just under $20K in '86. That was probably the reason they didn't catch on very well. Granted, extremely high quality but also the price to go along with the quality. They also never produced more than 400 boats per year that I'm aware of. They were completely made by hand from the ground up. Compare that to the production numbers and prices of a CC, MC and a young startup company by the name of Malibu and the public wasn't ready for the Cadillac of inboards with the Cadillac price.

In '76, the original American Skier model was the Advance and that was the exact same mold used right up through 2003 on the Elan Lazer. The Elan Pro, Elan Eagle Air and Elan Volante models were seperate modified Advance molds. The original Advance was that good from day one. My boat is the Barefoot model which also used the Advance hull. Very few of these made each year.

I would not hesitate to buy a Skier myself, but I'm definitely a little biased. I would absolutely love to find a 2001-2003 Lazer. They tipped the scales at 2100 lbs. and came equipped with a Blue Thunder Marine 320HP engine. A boat that light running that much HP would move out pretty well I think.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-28-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/407095548.html

maybe this helps
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-28-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
I always remembered someone making boats in a warehouse I used to drive by when I lived on Lake Butler in Winderemere. Maybe they were just selling boats but it must be this guy below from 1986 to 1990. The power of the web.

Tanis R & D is a family owned and operated business located in Tickfaw, Louisiana about an hour north of New Orleans. Ron Tanis retired from the Ski Boat manufacturing business after selling his interest in American Skier Boats. Tanis recognized the need for "high-end" fiberglass repairs and founded Tanis R & D.

Below is a brief look at Mr. Tanis' background:

2002-Present Tanis R & D, LLC. was founded to serve the local fiberglass and ski boat needs
Designed digital in-gelcoat graphics process

1998-2001 President of American Skier Boats Kentwood LA. Designed 1st hinging wakeboard tower, integrated swim platform/ballast system

1995-1998 President and Owner of American Skier Boats Winnsboro, LA.
Designed rudder w/ adjustable trim tab, convertible rear seat, unique aircraft
style composite construction

1993-1995 Division Manager and Designer for Ski Supreme division of Genmar Corp.

1990-1993 Technical Writer for WaterSki Magazine
200+ boat test reviews, designed the "Tanis Drone" for boat testing

1986-1990 Vice President Sales and Marketing American Skier Boat Corp. Ocoee, FL
Designed the clamshell motor box, Volante model, Eagle model
1979-1986 Owner - Midwest American Skier dealership

Factory design consultant, worked on the Advance Boat Model
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-28-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
thanks for the info guys, i really apprciate it.

if anyone has anymore keep it coming!

i plan to see the boat this coming week.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-01-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
anything else guys?
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-04-2007, 7:36 AM Reply   
anyone else have any info, i havent had time to look at it yet do to being really busy at work but I hope to this week.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-04-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
couple of my friends have an '89. 351C engine and light as a feather. solid boat, runs good. I think they have an advance as well. 19' almost identical to a 2001. wake is narrow and gets nice with close to 1000 in it. This thread is the first i've heard of the fiberglass techniques they used, but it makes sense. My friend's boat is solid as a rock. especially for an 18 yr old boat. if the price is right, great towboat
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-04-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
I had a 1990 American skier legend...it had the Chevy-350 indmar with holley 4 brl, it had the 2001 version perfect pass...I put a flight control tower from an air nautique on it..the boat was awesome...I would run a 250 fat sac across the back between rear seat and engine...and 2 5's running up either side along the engine compartment....plus usually 4 guys...they thing had a great wake...and was a TANK...built like one!!!
Our waterski club @ my home lake
www.wizardwaterski.com
...has run these boats hard from about 1989 to present..2 advances(club boats), 2 legends(private boats) (one of them mine) and a TBX.and they have put up with all the abuse...can;t go wrong for a great entry level boat!
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-04-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
ps...my legend is still runnign strong..jsut saw it this summer...all be..not nearly as nicly taken care of as it was whenI had it!