Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (dsw27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-11-2006, 6:20 AM Reply   
I have an '89 Prostar 190 that I bought three years ago. It was used up until that time in brackish water, so the engine is quite rusty. It runs great, but I have had to replace the exhaust manifolds because they pretty much rusted out. I am worried that the block may be in the same condition...when I drain it in the fall, rust drains out with the water from the block. I am trying to decide if I should get rid of it now before there are bigger problems, but I didn't want to have to buy a new one for 3 more years. Has any one had this problem with exhaust manifolds, and if so, did a problem with the block or other major components follow shortly after? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-11-2006, 7:17 AM Reply   
Haven't had this problem, but my understanding is the inner walls are much thinner in the manifolds than the block. IOW, a block could go thru 2 or 3 sets of manifolds, and probably need a rebuild before rusting out. How did you know the manifolds needed replacing? Did they leak externally, or did the motor hydrolock?
Old     (dsw27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-11-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
They leaked externally...I heard the exhaust sounding much different all of a sudden, and I could feel exhaust coming out the bottom of the starboard manifold.

When you say need a rebuild, what did you mean would need to be rebuilt?

Thanks for the help!
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-11-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
Doug- by rebuild I think Trace means you most likely will have to replace things such as piston rings-crank bearings-pushrods etc well before worrying about the block rusting thru.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-11-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
Ding!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-11-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
Strange things sometimes happen with boats. A friends boat ran in the delta for 2000+ hours, the block was full of mud when it came to rebuild time. These 351 blocks/heads are readily available for reasonable prices. I would say run it until it rusts through then fix it. No sense in getting worried until it's time. Exhaust manifolds tend to go first from my experience, I would not judge the block based on the manifolds.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-11-2006, 11:18 PM Reply   
I used my 87 for all its life in saltwater with no issues on the block and we have a 22 year old MC here which has done all its life in salt, again the block is fine. This one is never flushed either as it spends 8 months a year moored up.

If you want to run it till the block rusts out you'll be waiting till you an old man!
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-11-2006, 11:54 PM Reply   
Mine was run in brackish water also. the heads started leaking water, through a crack that had rusted out. New heads, and its back running strong
Old     (dsw27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-12-2006, 5:40 AM Reply   
For the Mike whose was run in brackish water. How old was your boat, and how big a repair was it to put new heads in? Did your manifolds go first and if so, how long before. Thanks.