Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old     (magnusm)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-08-2003, 11:29 PM Reply   
Ok - looking for a boat in the off-season and am torn between getting a new (either '03 or '04) V210 or a maybe 2 year old similar V210. Seems like I can save maybe $5-$7K getting a slightly used one with somewhere in the neighborhood of 100-150 hrs with all the essentials (tower, bimini etc.), this would leave $$$ left over to add PP etc. I was originally thinking of new, as I really hate getting anything used as you just never know, but this is already an expensive hobby to add to my other expenses, so think maybe I should try to save a few $$$ here. Really like the Sanger's due to their no nonsense, low flash, hand made, top notch boats without all the hype, plus the Sanger dealer is about a mile from my house in San Jose Just a lot of boat for the money. Seems to be a few Sanger owners on this site and am interested in the input of those who have maybe upgraded or considered upgrading from maybe a '00 or '01 to an '03 or '04. One downside I've found with the used ones is that the older ones seem to all have the base 315HP engine with the hump which I'm not a fan of, whereas if I bought new I could get the Black Scorpion and the flat sun deck. Do like the look of the new 215, but think the 210 may be all the space I need. FYI, I'm thinking ~$35K for a new one and about $27K for a comprable 2 year old one in top shape (and tower, bimini etc.), if this is off let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-09-2003, 12:40 AM Reply   
The interior really stepped up in 02 I think, I would def try to find one of those if I went second hand. 35K is about right for a brand new one, maybe a little more with the black scorp motor. Are you buying with cash or finance, sometimes its cheaper to buy new because of the better finance rate for new.
Old    kwisenor            12-09-2003, 8:34 AM Reply   
I have a 1997 Sanger with the Black Scorpion motor...I paid $18k two years ago for it. I know I got a great deal, but I've seen other older V210's for just a little bit more. My opinion is save yourself as much money as possible. The V210 has had the same hull since 1995 or 96...so the only difference between that and new is fit and finish. You can pay a Mercury dealer a small sum to check the engine for compression, etc. to mitigate your risk of a bad powerplant. My $.02 is save your money and start looking for a used boat and be willing to go where you need to to get it. That way you don't feel bad when you pop $1k for PP or another $1k for boards, lines, vests, etc... I never buy new...used is the only way to go!!!
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-09-2003, 10:54 AM Reply   
Good luck finding used V210's. There aren't many of them on the market.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-09-2003, 11:13 AM Reply   
I would think once you look at the new Sanger the V-215 would be hard to pass up.
Old    deltahoosier            12-09-2003, 11:21 AM Reply   
You may not make out by only getting a year or two old boat. Granted the first off the lot depreciation may be done, but, you usually end up with a higher interest rate loan for less time if that is an issue. Also, at that point it may not be worth it if you are not happy with the options. You may be better going older to outweigh the costs over options.
Old     (goth2o)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-09-2003, 11:54 AM Reply   
ughh...why are we still talking about these boats? Arent they made from wood? I WOOD never buy one...
Old     (magnusm)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-09-2003, 2:49 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tips so far. I'll probably be buying outright so the financing difference is not an issue. I'd love a 215 (stopped by Semper Marine last 2 weekends ago and checked it out), but that's starting to get a bit much $$$ I think. I also wasn't hot on the graphics on the 215, but not a big deal.
You're right about there not being too many V210's for sale used, but there are a few out there and luckily they all seem to be in CA. I just keep wavering on whether the $5-7K I'd save getting a used one is worth it, as I like the graphics of the new ones better, as well as finding a used Black Scorpion is difficult. Decisions, decisions...
Good point on the wood thing, I guess I'd better sell my Chevy truck since it's mostly steel and probably will rust and get a Saturn instead since that plastic must be better
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-09-2003, 3:00 PM Reply   
Dude I have always boat boats about 1 or 2 years old and its an awesome way to do it
A. saving the dosh
B. no running in just straight out to play
let some other dude take the initial hit in value when they drive it off the lot
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-09-2003, 4:08 PM Reply   
Here's a 01 with the scorp for 30K in San Jose, 90 hrs & all the fruit:
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/0/60986460.htm

Another 01 with 350 mag, bank repo for 25k in Long beach:
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/8/61265728.htm

I actually quite like the look of the 350 hump, and with the right prop will give you plenty of power unless you are into footing.
Old     (magnusm)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-09-2003, 4:19 PM Reply   
I'd seen those, but for some reason thought they were both the standard engine (not sure why). $30K seemed a little steep, but he might have some flexibility in the price. It's right where I live though so it's convenient. The one in LB I was a little worried about given its a repo, as you figure that if they couldn't afford the payments they probably weren't spending a lot on maintenance. Good price though. I'm not as fussed about the look of the hump as I am about the fact that it makes it a bit more difficult to sit out on. The extra hp is good, but probably not a big deal.
Old     (goth2o)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-09-2003, 6:00 PM Reply   
Bro, The hump is not a big deal. Ask Anyone of us that own one! I thought the same thing then I boaught one! No worries. you can sit on it lay on it anything. really.
Old     (magnusm)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-09-2003, 6:19 PM Reply   
Thanks that helps to know it isn't really a big deal.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-09-2003, 7:46 PM Reply   
Another Sanger owner claiming the 'hump' isn't a big deal.. never had a problem with it.

B-
Old     (deltajake)      Join Date: May 2003       12-09-2003, 11:56 PM Reply   
I purchased a 2001 V210 W/ 100 hours this past spring for $25K. I paid cash which beat the finance deals. I almost went new but got a great boat with 5K sound system Bimini top & board racks. It had 3 plus years warranty on the motor. I contacted Sanger and for a minimal fee the lifetime warranty on the hull was transfered into my name. I do like the newer towers but can live with that. The hump has never been a problem for us.
Old     (magnusm)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-10-2003, 8:28 AM Reply   
Sounds like you got a sweet deal. If I could find something like that I'd probably have to get it, just haven't found that too good to pass up deal yet. That's good to know on the hull warranty transfer as that was one thing that was a factor in maybe leaning towards new. Was it a big deal to do or a no hassle pay a small fee get the warranty thing? What's the standard warranty on the Sanger's new? I assume the 3 yr motor warranty was something the previous owner had purchased?
Old     (deltajake)      Join Date: May 2003       12-13-2003, 12:30 AM Reply   
Magnus, sorry I have been out of town. The first owner purchased an extended warranty and I had that transfered. I asked a Sanger distributor if the lifetime warranty could be transfered and the answer was "Yes" after he called Sanger while I was in his showroom. That was an incentive for me. When I purchased the boat I contacted the person at Sanger. Her first response was "No" then came back with "if it was 18 months or less after the first sale It could be transfered". I made it just in time.
Old     (fasfeat)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-13-2003, 9:13 AM Reply   
I just posted a good one on www.usedboats4sale.com take a look at it! $27,995
Old     (magnusm)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-15-2003, 9:12 AM Reply   
Good info on the warranty. May be a problem finding one less than 18 months old though.
The one for ~$28K looks good, just a few more hours than I was looking for, but I'll look into it with the couple others I'm looking at.
Thanks guys and keep 'em coming.