Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (reservoir_dog)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-05-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
I just bought one of these and am wondering what I need to make the wake better. I thought that being as big of a boat as they are the wake would be nice. Maybe it was because it was the first set of the season and maybe it was because of not having a tower.But I rode today much shorter than I do behind newer boats and still could barely make it w2w. No pop at all. I have added a 370lb fatsac in the rear storage compartment and had 6 people on board and it still wasn't good at all. Anybody no what it take to make it better?

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-05-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
check where the wakeplate is set
Old     (reservoir_dog)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-06-2009, 4:25 AM Reply   
Is the plate adjustable? I did not see any type of hinge on it so I though it was none adjustable. Should I move it up or down?
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-06-2009, 5:04 AM Reply   
move it down.

Add another 1500lbs of ballast then you will get a bigger wake
Old     (tl_hereford)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-06-2009, 5:08 AM Reply   
More ballast. Don't be scared its a deep hull she can take it. Put some in the bow too.
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-06-2009, 6:03 AM Reply   
it has turnbuckles to adjust it..........
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-06-2009, 6:22 AM Reply   
Go to the Supra forum there lots of posts on this subject.
Old     (reservoir_dog)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-06-2009, 6:26 AM Reply   
Thanks! Andrew I see the turnbuckles and looked in to moving them yesterday but like I said I saw no hinge in the plate. it is screwed straight into the hull. I did not want to mess anything up. How far should i move. If you have one please send me a pic with it adjusted. Luke yeah just drop 4k picking up the boat but believe me more ballast and a tower are coming soon just have to come up with the money!
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-06-2009, 7:11 AM Reply   
I played with that same boat a few years ago and learned a lot.For starters its a ski boat and the only way to improve the wake is to sink the rear.I would start by removing the wakeplate and filling the holes with silicone.This will allow the front to come up and the wake will get taller.Dont remove the hangers just pull the pins.After that your going to have to add weight mostly in the rear if not only in the rear.Its all about the rear on that boat.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-06-2009, 7:14 AM Reply   
moving the plate down will lift the stern and lower the bow. Making the wake even more mellow. I would move that plate up to start. That will give you more of a lip and more vert. Then add weight to the front to give it more transition, firmness, and to move the sweet spot back some. Once you get the wake big, then mess with the plate to add or take away as much lip as you want. But right now moving the plate down will make it easier to get on plane but will produce even less of a wake then you have now.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-06-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
You will have great luck with that boat, you just have to slam it.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-06-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
moving the plate down will lift the stern and lower the bow. Making the wake even more mellow. I would move that plate up to start. That will give you more of a lip and more vert. Then add weight to the front to give it more transition, firmness, and to move the sweet spot back some. Once you get the wake big, then mess with the plate to add or take away as much lip as you want. But right now moving the plate down will make it easier to get on plane but will produce even less of a wake then you have now.

Wrong,take the plate off and weight the rear.Simple as that.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-06-2009, 9:28 AM Reply   
WTH? thats not wrong! Lifting the plate up is the same as taking it off, only you dont have holes in the back of the boat that you have to fill. You cannot just weight the rear or a boat. Sure your wake will get tall but it wont be nearly as firm. I have weighted many older boats and even newer ones. Their are plenty of sources out their with the exact formulas for weighting and what weight does in different places. They will all say the same thing. Different boats need weight in different places. From the looks of that wake I would go 60/40 back to front. If its still too mellow with the plate in the up position add more weight to the back. If it is too steep add weight to the front. If you want to add more of everything add weight center which is equal to 50/50 back to front for whatever the weight added to the middle is. Wakeboardin2k4 is the post that isnt correct.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-06-2009, 9:32 AM Reply   
Nice attitude. What he said is not wrong about how trim tabs work. Also, completely removing it will probably cause porpoising.

That hull likes and can handle a lot of weight in the front.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-06-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
You're right. I didn't know that this boat required all rear weight. Ive been in a supra Mariah which had the plate down and lots of weight in it. Probably 60/40 with 1800lbs and the plate was down to make the wake more rampy.

Sorry for my confusion
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-06-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
The other thing to think about is it is not an old ski boat like Brock had mentioned. It is an older direct drive run about much like the saltaire (or Pirata) that was designed to be like the Nautique Martnique. The trim tabs were placed on there so you could put them down to remove the wake for a wake like the competition ski boat of the day the TS6M. Maybe that can help out with a little bit of history to add some perspective to the issue
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-06-2009, 6:14 PM Reply   
The boat is not like the saltaire.It was baised off the Supra sportstar which is totally different.
The sportstar was a flatbottom skiboat and the saltaire was a family boat with a deeper hull.
On top of that the rider is also very heavy/wide in the nose making weight difficult to place.I have battled with these boats personaly and if you want to skip all the time wasting take my advice from the getgo.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-06-2009, 6:16 PM Reply   
The second picture explains it all,look how flat and wide the bow is.
Old     (reservoir_dog)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-07-2009, 6:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice fellas. I will try several if not all suggestion prob Thurs afternoon. By the way Brock would I be ok just lifting the plate instead of removing it? I really do not want that many holes in my hull.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-07-2009, 8:33 PM Reply   
Scott,removing and installing the plate takes less than fifteen minutes.Just pull the pins and remove the screws.Put a dab of sealer on the screws and screw them back into the boat.
I would recommend a simple adjustment but your boat is pretty old and the threads are aluminum on stainless which Is probably frozen real good.Also if you notice theres not enough threads to put it in a wakeboard position.Of course when that boat was made people didn't wakeboard.
Fun boat though once you get used to it.In fact were taking this one out tommorow.Good luck

(Message edited by formfunction on April 07, 2009)
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-07-2009, 8:43 PM Reply   
[IMG]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/grip01/boat001.jpg[/IMG]