Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-15-2011, 11:50 AM Reply   
So im looking to get my fiance some skis/bindings (snow). She is a good skier but only goes 3-4 times per yr and has some old rossignols, you know the old purple and flourescent yellow ones from the 90's. So its time for an upgrade, but being a snowboarder i dont know much about skiing, and especially the new style twin tip skiis. She an all mountoain rider so needs a versatile ski. And im looking to spend less than $500 for skis and bindings. And last years models would be fine or even the year before. Would like to go new as well. Can anyone point in the right direction as to where to go (online) that may have older models deals or somethign like that. And possibly a good ski/binding package.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-15-2011, 1:22 PM Reply   
Rob,

check out evo.com

great deals, specially in th outlet tab. I have bought alot from them. Have a pair of skis/binding for my daughter this year for under $500.

what size ski are you looking for?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-15-2011, 1:27 PM Reply   
levelninesports has killer deals on last year's (and prior) skis. Shoot, even moving to 5 year old stuff sounds like it would be a revolutionary upgrade. You should be able to get something for under $400 no prob.
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-15-2011, 2:15 PM Reply   
check out backcountry.com
Old    sperbet            09-15-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
I second evo and backcountry.com

you may also want to try christysports.com. My girl just got a pair of ski boots from them and got a really good deal
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-15-2011, 5:52 PM Reply   
Hi Rob I will take a different approach here. Don't buy skis. Take that money and double down on the best boots you can find. Have her professionally fitted. Skiis change every year and they are a schlep to travel with. What if you ski Provo, then Mammoth, then Vail? Total Charlie Foxtrot flying with skis.
demos are cheep, sharp, waxed, the latest fashion and current and already at the mountain.
Put her in the most comfy, top quality boots made just for her tootsies and she will enjoy skiing more than ever.
The boots will last her into the next decade. The skis will be outdated next season.
Some really good goggles would help as well.

I live in FL and ski my large family every year.
Do what you will.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-16-2011, 5:41 AM Reply   
Baitkiller. That is a good idea. Her feet are always bothering her. Her skiis may be from 1991, they sure look it so an upgrade is needed. Even like shawndoggy said, 5 yr old would be a major upgrade. She does need new boots which will be next on my list. I will look into demos for skiis though, could prob save me a bundle. She is 5'2" 115 lbs, so im thinking like 152-154 or so.Does that sound right??

Thanks, very helpful info
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-16-2011, 6:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_x15 View Post
Baitkiller. That is a good idea. Her feet are always bothering her. Her skiis may be from 1991, they sure look it so an upgrade is needed. Even like shawndoggy said, 5 yr old would be a major upgrade. She does need new boots which will be next on my list. I will look into demos for skiis though, could prob save me a bundle. She is 5'2" 115 lbs, so im thinking like 152-154 or so.Does that sound right??

Thanks, very helpful info
I will bet an instructor would put her on something smaller considering the new shaped skis.

The new shaped skis are running shorter than ever. I had to take a lesson to learn how to ski again. I am a bump skier and have been my whole life. No groomed trails for me and i was taught weight forward ski the front of the boot and i could shred 185s at 160 lbs.
Not now. They have me weighting the balls of my feet, turning flat and skiing 160s better than ever and using about 1/3 the energy.

Own your boots, rent demos and take a 1/2 day lesson once a year. Always rent on-mountain. If you have a binding failure or just want to mix it up, go longer or shorter and try different models you can pop in and swap out. Actually pretty cool. My oldest son and I will go in late afternoon and get some long downhill boards to race corduroy with.
The kid is fearless.
Have fun. See you on Mary Jane!
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-16-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
Thanks Bait, all very helpful
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-17-2011, 5:36 AM Reply   
I agree that boots are the foundation. I would not skimp or try to find a bargain on boots. Better to go to a good shop and get fitted, preferably with heat moldable liners. It's an epiphany when you can go all day without thinking about your feet.

As for renting demos on mountain... Yuck! But then again I live 32 minutes from the chair and would rather get 15 runs in and be home before the gapers show up.

One thing about demos -- the bindings are very very heavy.

Re length, take a look at the ski calculator on levelninesports.com. You put in height weight and ability and it will sort for the right boards. My wife was on 160s on toothpick skis and is now on 145s on shaped skis.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-20-2011, 5:02 PM Reply   
FYI

evo is having another 20% off on ski/boards in the outlet makes for some great deals.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-20-2011, 9:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitkiller View Post
Hi Rob I will take a different approach here. Don't buy skis. Take that money and double down on the best boots you can find. Have her professionally fitted. Skiis change every year and they are a schlep to travel with. What if you ski Provo, then Mammoth, then Vail? Total Charlie Foxtrot flying with skis.
demos are cheep, sharp, waxed, the latest fashion and current and already at the mountain.
Put her in the most comfy, top quality boots made just for her tootsies and she will enjoy skiing more than ever.
The boots will last her into the next decade. The skis will be outdated next season.
Some really good goggles would help as well.

I live in FL and ski my large family every year.
Do what you will.
x2. and even if you go with a full set up, most of the money should be put into the boots
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-21-2011, 1:48 PM Reply   
I know that renting is a No no in a status sport like skiing but it makes huge sense if you do not live close and have a season pass. And I spelled out why its best to rent on-mountain above.
One perk I forgot to add..>>>>>>>>> If she has a rental contract for boards, she can trade them any-time for a snowboard at no cost on most hills. So if your are of the boarding persuasion you can slowly work her in that direction a little at a time.

Have fun, ski bumps. and the best words ever spoken to ones a-fianced: "Keep yer tips up!" (take that any way you care to )
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-21-2011, 1:59 PM Reply   
Ditto on the boots and modern ski's comments.

I used to rock a set of 200+'s thru the 80's and much of the 90's and skiied fast all mountain lots. Really had a hard time skiing till I found boots that fit. Took the early part of a season and found what I liked and got them dialed. I picked up snowboarding in the mid 90's and would ski and board. Kinda went to full time boarding from there. I've gone back to skiing off and on, the newer skis are so much easier to ride it takes me a while to figure them out. But then the boots start to kill me and I'd rather be boarding for the fun and comfort.

We're teaching our young daughter to ski and I might take it back up this coming season with her. Last year I boarded and it was tough trying to manage a 3 yr old on skis at the same time. My wife still rides some pretty old skis, she has newer boots she really likes and did some lessons last year. The boots and lesson made huge difference for her.