Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-19-2006, 10:04 PM Reply   
I found a 91 for 7900. It does not have many options and is not in good shape. The interior is rough although is usable as is. The guy also says there are some pea size chips in the clearcoat or gelcoat on the bottom of the boat. The other thing is there is a little hesitation pulling out of the hole. If I do decide to put an offer on this boat it will be contigent on the hull chips only being cosmetic and the engine needing nothing major to get rid of the hesitation. While writing this message I found out that it is a powerslot with the 285 horse indmar. Can this boat throw a pretty good wake with 1500 pounds or so. I have heard a lot that the 95 190 had a good wake for wakeboarding. Wondering if it is the same hull or close. Let me know what you guys think. Thank you for your feedback in advance.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-20-2006, 6:31 AM Reply   
I had a `92. The hulls were the same from 91-93, IIRC, and it is considered one of the best ski hulls ever. When I sold mine, I found that having the tower on it was actually a problem because a LOT more of the interested buyers were skiers.

Mine was super reliable, and with the Powerslot you won't have a power problem. 1500 lbs is about the maximum you can get into that hull - any more and it gets scary to drive and you're literally out of room. It threw a medium-sized but very clean wake when loaded down.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-20-2006, 7:00 AM Reply   
8K for a boat that is not in good shape is too much.
Old     (poserondubs)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-20-2006, 12:17 PM Reply   
i have a 93..and although bein tight on space i love it....its great for 3-5 people...any more with ballast gets tuff..it throw a decent wake..nothing to write home about but itll get u up there...i too have the 285 and have not once had a problem with this motor or boat...the price you stated does seem a little steep...but if you can get that down its a great boat...

DRew....good luck
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-21-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
Five years ago I bought a 1996 190 with the LT-1 350 for $10,000 and it was clean. Seems steep to me. I would keep looking.

Never loaded it with more than 1000lbs but it produced a decent wake but like trace said, very hard to drive.
Old    alanp            06-22-2006, 7:40 PM Reply   
3 years ago i bought a 1995 190 for 8k. id pass on that one
Old     (hbskier)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-27-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
The 351 in a 91 was only 240hp, the GT40 heads became standard as the 285hp carb'd HO engine in 93 IIRC they were not an option before then. Unless the previous owner upgraded the cylinder heads he's got the wrong specs. Common mistake, and the powerslot should nearly make up for the difference. If you visit the owner and start talking about these kind of details he may open up about other issues once he believes you're an MC expert.

As for the hesitation, it may need a carb rebuild - not too pricey.

Here's some info from Skidim.com:
351 ford high output (h.o.) cylinder head

indicated by 3 raised ribs on the end of the head.
2 raised ribs indicates a standard 351, 250HP [edit: they say 250, but MC's Indmar was 240hp] with hardened exhaust seats.
A flat head, with no raised ribs, indicates a older style without hardened seats, requiring Valve Tech or a lead substitute.
Flat Head and 2-rib heads are compatible, just make sure both take 14mm plugs.
Upload

(Message edited by HBSkier on June 27, 2006)
Old     (rsc)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-29-2006, 3:27 PM Reply   
hbskier- you are correct that the 285hp w/ GT40 heads was standard in 1993, but it also was offered as an upgrade option in earlier years. (my '92 is an example)