Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old    wakeridinrob            12-23-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
I am sitting at home watching "party heat" on TRU tv for the past hour. Its like C.O.P.S. But on the water. It got me thinking about All the DUMB@$$ people out there. But is there a CA law stating that a drunk person cannot be pulled behind a boat? Just wondering.

Now for all the haters out there i WILL NOT DRINK AND RIDE nor will i let anyone do it. just a simple question for you guys. This show is HILARIOUS!!!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-23-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
Yup it's True. I know a guy at Lake Nacemento that got busted for this exact thing. He said later charges were droped.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-23-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
how do you "dunk" ride?
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-23-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
it happens...
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-23-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
you can be charged with dui for riding anything, skateboards, bycicle, wakeboards, tubes, skis. usually doesnt hold up in court and you have to take an alchohol class or somethin.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-23-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
WUI?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-23-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
I think DUI is just in motor things (car/boat/snomobile)
OWI is anything with wheels (skateboard/ bike/ heely's shoes
but I didn't think you could get it for wakeboarding/snow sled/ etc etc
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-23-2008, 4:25 PM Reply   
Ohio has a law if caught drunk behind a boat,you can't ride/ski for a year.Don't really know how they can enforce that though.
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-23-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
How is a sheriff supposed to detemine if you are drunk while being pulled versus simply being a novice wakeboarder? I would have to imagine that both would look about the same behind a boat to most people.

I think the chance of being cited for riding while drunk would be very slim.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-23-2008, 4:47 PM Reply   
The CA harbors and navigation code speaks pretty clearly to the issue. It's a violation of the same section, regardless of whether you're driving or wakeboarding or whatever... and sometimes it's easy to spot a drunkie behind the boat, like when the rider tries to spray another boat or person in the water, and gets too close or something.

"655. ... (c) No person shall operate any recreational vessel or manipulate any water skis, aquaplane, or similar device if the person has an alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent or more in his or her blood. "

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/appndxa/harbnav/harnav655.htm
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-23-2008, 4:47 PM Reply   
Yeah,but you see alot of pictures of people wakesurfing with a beer in their hand.Not much you can say if you're caught with 1 in hand.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-23-2008, 5:38 PM Reply   
So, a guy at brostock this year on the east coast rode like, 13 deep and placed in outlaw or open or something like that.... You can't always tell that a person's drunk...
Old     (wesley_is_wake)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-23-2008, 11:16 PM Reply   
I love Party Heat! did anyone else see the giant chicken driving the pontoon? or the guy wearing an "adult diaper" behind the Malibu? hahaha, it gave me some laughs.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-24-2008, 12:57 AM Reply   
Take a wild guess who the chicken was? Carey Harts posey.
Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-24-2008, 3:25 AM Reply   
Wes, that episode with the chicken driving the boat was funny as hell. If I remember right, the cops pulled him over thinking he was going to be wasted, but he was just a sober captain, in a full chicken suite on a hot day in Havasu. haha

Has any one seen them filming Party Heat out on the water? Or do they just go out on Havasu during spring break and get all the footage the need for a year...
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-24-2008, 7:00 AM Reply   
Riding while drunk seems a harm to self but not to others. Too much government IMO.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-24-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
^+1
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-24-2008, 7:48 AM Reply   
"you can be charged with dui for riding anything, skateboards, bycicle, wakeboards, tubes, skis."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Not in Minnesota^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-24-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
Yet Another Reason why Minnesota Rules!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-24-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
I never understood the bycicle arguement. First off, the only person you are endangering is yourself, second off, if you try to do the responsible thing and ride a bike instead of driving a car, they still screw you over.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-24-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
I had a pretty strict rule for myself not to ride when I'd been drinking. Well I broke my own rule one time and snapped my ACL, this was the second time I had the boat out last summer. Needless to say I'll never ride drunk again.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-24-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
Minnesota's weather sucks for at least 6 mo. of the year. One thing I can say for Minnesota it has water but then again ICE.

(Message edited by snork on December 24, 2008)
Old     (kottonm0uthking4)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-24-2008, 6:56 PM Reply   
i drink all the time, and i ride drunk all the time. Same goes with snowboarding. However, i have never had an incident.

Now when i say drunk i mean over the .08 limit. I have never wakeboarded/snowboarded retarded...
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-24-2008, 8:58 PM Reply   
drunk in public pretty much covers it.
there have even been cases of drunk on horseback.
there is a local bar that the horse folks used to frequent and they were pretty upset that they could not get hammered and let the horse find the way home...they always go back to where the food is.

just can't have any fun anymore
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-24-2008, 11:02 PM Reply   
heard a story about a person getting a DUI in a shopping cart on the radio. Now that's pretty sketchy