Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-15-2009, 7:03 PM Reply   
I know there has been many threads on boat covers, but I couldn't find any that touched on storage type covers. I really don't want to use a blue tarp. I am soon to be keeping my boat out in the sun in dry storage at a lake and I wanted something that can cover the entire boat tower included. I'd like it to be waterproof or very resistant, somewhat breathable, and UV resistant. I'm thinking I might have to design and order a custom one. Any and all ideas are appreciated, thanks.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-15-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
Check overtons. Part number 75757. They are on sale right now also. I have been thinking about getting one of thse myself.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-16-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
Thanks Cole
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-18-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
Are there any specific for wakeboard boats. The one above is for a walk around center console, i feel like in the harsh winters of NJ it may blow around. any suggestions
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-18-2009, 2:59 PM Reply   
Never seen or heard of such an animal..... other than the big tarps some people put over a boat.

What boat & tower? It would need to be a custom job if it wasn't a really common boat & tower combo.

Is putting your tower down not an option?
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-18-2009, 3:02 PM Reply   
I don't have a picture of mine, but my cover goes from below the waterline and goes over my tower and all they way over my swim step. It is simply awesome, especially if you keep your boat outside (which I used to) Downside is you can not tow with it on. One of my best purchases. There is a guy in Sacramento that made mine for $600. No kidding custom made for $600.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-19-2009, 8:08 AM Reply   
Try this link for my over the tower cover.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/519099.html?1195076180
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-19-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
Tim, that one over the water, off white colored cover was perfect. Now I just need to have one made for an'08 X-Star, if I can't sell the boat. I'm going to get one made custom if I have to. I know exactly what i want it to do.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-19-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
The design has worked great and I'm very happy.

The long sides are great for keeping the sun off the boat. I never have a ponding water issue. Since it's all secured at the back of the boat, I can put the cover on and jump from the platform to the dock. The sides stay snug. This would work great on a bouy also.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-19-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
I know Jaime at Tower Biminis makes them. He made one for a friend of mine and it looks great you might want to give him a call.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-19-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
Robert, thank you, that would be great if you could give me Jaime's info.

Are they waterproof? UV resistant?
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-19-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
I have one similar to tim's. also custom made. Mine covers the swim platform also, but its kind of a pain to put on
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-19-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
I'm not worried about it being a pain DJ. Unfortunately, I travel quite a bit for the job so the boat sits a bit. I'm looking for something to protect it from the AZ heat and sun for those long periods of dormancy.
Old     (angrygolucky)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-19-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
Here's mine.. I had it done custom when I ordered the boat. If you do one like this be careful where it can rub on the gel coat. I saw there was a little rubbing and realized what was happening..I use a towing cover with straps in conjunction with it to keep it from rubbing the lower edge.

Upload

(Message edited by angrygolucky on March 19, 2009)
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-20-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
Tower Biminis
16040 Caputo Drive
Morgan Hill, CA. 95037
Phone 408-779-6770

Ask for Jaime he owns the place and can get you taken care of.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-20-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
I always sewed a skirt on my covers to keep the sun off the side of the boat if I had any color in the gel coat. I'm surprised more people don't do it.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-20-2009, 8:48 AM Reply   
Mike, did I understand you correctly, you tow with that cover? Mine would not hold up to that abuse
Old     (angrygolucky)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-20-2009, 11:50 AM Reply   
No way!! That thing would catch air like a sail! haha!
I never tow with that cover. I use a towing cover under that one so the straps of the towing cover keep the big one from rubbing up against the lip that its on. There's a rope that runs through the whole bottom and you can pull it tight and tie it off.. without the straps from the other cover it looks like the pic above, and if you cinch it tight, and the wind kicks up, it rubs away at the gel coat.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-20-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
Thanks Robert for the info. Thanks Mike for the picture. That looks very user friendly. Is it water proof or resistant?
Old     (angrygolucky)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-21-2009, 9:30 PM Reply   
It's kind of user friendly, and not. Fits like a glove so you cant really screw it up...
The thing is big and it really helps to have a 2nd person to put on/remove. (especially if the wind is up!)
Water proof? no.. Resistant? Yes.
Seems like a similar material to many covers, and was treated with a water repellent.. I need to clean her, and re-apply a water repellent..
Since I use it with a towing cover also, I always keep a moisture absorber or 2 under the dash.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-22-2009, 6:15 AM Reply   
Mike, I don't think I would need a moisture absorber in the desert, but just in case, where would I get one? I didn't even think they made stuff like that. It's a good idea.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-22-2009, 6:42 AM Reply   
AMO, what about this? does not mention water resistant or water proof

http://www.intracoastalproducts.com/

just saw it on www.wakeboardingmag.com
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-22-2009, 7:41 AM Reply   
that looks like mine too. had bartlett sails in austin make it.

let me clarify on saying that its a pain to put on.

its a combination of issues. I have a natique 236 stored on a lift in my slip. the swim platform is rounded. in order to get the cover over the swim platform, I need to stand on the swim platform, hold one corner down, step on the cover, then kind of walk the cover around, while im on it. If the swim platform was more squared, the corners would hold themselves.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-22-2009, 7:42 AM Reply   
Michael, thanks man. I have seen that before and I think it would do the trick only if you put your regular towing cover on it as well, as I don't think that it's waterproof. I believe it was designed for boats that are on a lift but under a boat house or canopy. Something to consider for sure.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-22-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
I just wrote those guys an email asking for more info. Biggest issue is if they make one for a pickle fork bow.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-22-2009, 7:57 AM Reply   
keep me posted as to what they say, i would be interested too!
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-22-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
No problem Michael.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-23-2009, 6:44 AM Reply   
Mine is easy because I chose not to cover the platform. I just have a little teak maintenance to keep up with.

I have not noticed the cover rubbing anywhere but I also don't have a draw string. The canvass company shape the cover so it stays put with the bow on and the tension at the back. Good luck on yours.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-23-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
Thanks Tim.

Michael, I just talked to Chris at intracoastal products. Great guy. He said that he is in the midst of doing a pickle fork version for newer X-Stars. He said he hoped to have them done within a months time. He gave me a price of $400. Not to bad. He also said it would shed most of the water when it rained. Totally UV resistant, great for the vinyl. If you are going to store your boat outside for long periods of time, he said to put your canvas cover on first then the intracoastal. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one when he gets the template done for the X-Star.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-23-2009, 12:13 PM Reply   
My wife made a tower cover for our boat. I scotchguard it every winter and it does a nice job protecting the tower and speakers.Upload
Upload
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-23-2009, 4:22 PM Reply   
AMO, thanks for the info. i think i will get one too