Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (dallas141)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-03-2005, 4:40 PM Reply   
Does anyone have anything bad to say about these boat's? I've been looking for my first boat purchase and have a limited budget, and from all my searches and reaserch, people make it sound like this is the best boat ever made for the money. All I read is that with a few fat sac's the wake these things throw is sick and rival newer more expensive wake boats and embarass other wakes from boats in the same price range, they're easy to maintain, reliable, they even have there own website for christ sake. Thats saying a lot for boats 16 years and older. Any reason why I shouldn't just go pick one up tomorrow?
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-03-2005, 7:48 PM Reply   
D-Money-
I was where you are now about 2 months ago. I did a lot of research on the 2001 and ended up buying an 87, and am soooo glad I did. The wake is awsome just like everyone says. I wieght the boat with a 350lbs fat sac on each side of the engine, a 600lbs sac in front of the rear seat on the floor and about 200lbs of lead in the nose. Sometimes I only fill the sacs 1/2 to 3/4 full and still get a great wake.
The boat is very strong and has a great hole shot. I did however change the prop right when I got it to an ACME 542 because of what I had read. I also like how simple all of the controls are and how there is not a lot extra "crap" you wouldn't use. I'm not sure if all years have it, but mine also came with a stock heater.
If there is anything bad to say at all, it would have to be the room. They are closed bow and with sacs around the direct drive you are always stepping over things. But, in that year and price range any decent boat that you can wakeboard behind is going to be a closed bow direct drive. Even with that all said, I've found that the room doesn't bother me. I don't even notice stepping over the sacs.
Basically, given my current needs, if I had it to do over again I would still buy a 2001 no question. The boat just seems to fit me perfectly right now and definatly fit what I wanted to spend on a boat right now. I would suggest really checking the boats that you look at very closely and be patient. They are older boats and are sometimes owned by younger people (not that I can really talk) because they are affordable. I looked at a couple that weren't in very good shape, and almost justified buying them because of their reputation. I was a little patient, which is very hard for me, and found a very clean, well maintained one.
I feel like I'm rambling, so I'm going to stop now. Just be comfortable knowing that you won't be disappointed if you get one. And besides, if you ever out grow it, you probably won't loose any money when you sell it. How many other people can say that about their boats?
Old     (dallas141)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-03-2005, 10:26 PM Reply   
Thanks Trevor, yeah everthing i've read they say the ACME 542 is the best thing you can buy for the 2001's. I'll be using it 98% of the time to wakeboard, don't see too many leisure trips out so the room doesn't bother me one bit. If you don't mind me asking what did you pick up your '87 for?
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-04-2005, 4:24 AM Reply   
D-money I got an 86 with 400 hours on it for $9300 I think it was 3 years ago. The boat had no tower and only a few minor rips in the seats. It was super clean...unfortunatly "was" being the key word. It is my first boat so ive made mistakes with it. But it is a great boat with a great wake and has been very reliable. It now has close to 750 hours and no major issues until recently when I found a soft spot in the floor. But because of my own stupidity not the boats.
Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-04-2005, 7:05 AM Reply   
I got a 89 2001 for $8500.00 back in Oct. It came with a Fly High pylon, Yellow jacket rope, bimini top, boat cover, and a pair of skis and ski rope which will never get used. It's a 16 year old boat and it shows, but for the price and the wake it's worth it. Also it seems to be real easy to work on, I really like working on it during the off season. Just my $0.02
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-04-2005, 9:01 AM Reply   
My buddy has one, not sure what year. Good wake. Not quite as big as some of the newer V-drives, but definitely fun. Like most Nautique wakes, its real steep and abrupt. Straight up pop, like you're hitting a curb. Especially good for straight airs and spins.

As Stacy said, you will notice certain things (lack of space with a lot of sacs being one), but all in all I think you're on the right track.
Old     (scotthetland)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-04-2005, 9:28 AM Reply   
I have been riding behind an '88 Ski Nautique 2001, and I do like it a lot. Definitely the best for the money. The newer and a lot more expensive inboards do have a lot better wake, but you can't argue with the value of an older Ski Nautiques when you have a budget.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-04-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
A buddy and I bought an 88 2001 about 2 1/2 years ago and we just sold it. Mainly becasue I am graduating from school and need the $$. We sold it to one of our friends and he loves it. We got a steal on the boat because there were alot of cosmetic issues and it needed a new carb and transmission. Once we got the carb and trans replaced whe was a beast. We used to only fill her with a fat seat about 1/3 full in the back and that as it. The wake was plenty especially when people were in the boat.

The main thing you have to worry about with the older nautiques is the wooden stringers. Make sure that those are not rotten. The great thing about the boat i they are simple. Most maint. can be done by someone tha knows cab engines. All that motor is is a 351 Ford or at least mine was. I think that the only problem ith the boats is that they are old and finding one that will meet your criteria that runs well could be hard. Not impossible but there are alot of old 2001 out there that are either 100% show room condition but you will pay for it. The ones that eem reasonably pirced under 8000 coul have poblems.

On another note I almost bought an 81 for 4000 but I stopped and paid 250 for a mechanic to check it out. Compression check and just a full look over. He told me that the engine needed rebuild and the trans fluid was burnt. Just to be sure that he was nt jerking me around I will tell you that I was not buying the boat from them and they gained nothing by me buying the boat. I also had a friend who knows older boat engines give me his two cents. He agreed with the mechanic. So in short. They are great first boats and I hope you find one that suits you. Be sure to have the motor checked out before you buy from a certified nautique mechanic. The only complaint with the older nautiques or other inpordds for that matter is that when you load up with weight and people 5 or more it begins to get a little cramped. However if you want more space you have to pay the bigger buck for the newer boats. I don't know what you budget is but another good boat for wakeboarding were the 90's barefoot nautique and nautique excell. V drive and more cabin space.

Check out the boats for sale on www.correctcraftfan.com

later
Hpe that helps

Preston