Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Pannellboy004)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-10-2013, 6:11 PM Reply   
Alright My set up right now is a 2011 ronix mana 139 & ronix divides size 11.. and I was looking to upgrade to a better set up.. because my skill level would prolly rank beginner to intermidate because i can jump wake to flats with no promblem and do 180s and all but just learning the back-roll and tantrum.. I was debating between the Ronix one modell, liquid force Harley and the slingshot Hooke, but i'm open to other ideas... Please Help and also I'm looking at the hyperlite systems, but open to other ideas on this too.... Just give opinions on what yall think is the best and I'm open to anything...
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-10-2013, 8:42 PM Reply   
the current setup you have can still take you a long way. But if you are set on a change i can understand that, especially if you are looking for a more supportive high-end pair of closed toe boots/bindings.

Tell us what you like and don't like about your current board and boots.?
what do you want more of or less of? i.e. do you want more speed? less grip/ tracking?

Also just curious, what is your weight and size?

***Don't underestimate a good wake rope if you don't already have one
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-11-2013, 3:28 AM Reply   
I agree with the post above. A good pair of closed toe binding will help. I am probably near the same skill level as you. I changed from a Ronix Vault/ Divide Bindings to a LF Harley/ Company CT Bindings and I definitely seen improvement in my skill level. I like the Harley's softer landing and the closed toe bindings definitely offered more support around the ankles for me.

I have heard great things about the slingshot, I haven't ridden one though. Soon I hope to.
Old     (tdickman4)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-11-2013, 5:22 AM Reply   
If you like flex boards, go with slingshot. The recoil and Hooke are similar with the differences of the Hooke being a little stiffer and it as some grooved in fins on the bottom so it won't be as slippery. If you don't like flex, go with the ronix one modello. In my opinion, flex boards are nicer and give softer landings. Now for the boots. I would not get the system bindings until you try them out. I thought I would love the systems but when I tried them, I thought they were too much of a pain. I prefer ronix bindings because the are super soft and cushiony. I would say for the ronix closed toe bindings, you have the ones which are super stiff, the cells (discontinued after 2012) and the Code 55s (started in 2013) which allow stiffness when you want it but also gives the flex you need to tweak out tricks, and finally you have the parks which are soft and gives you plenty of flex to really tweak out tricks. Ronix has other bindings too but those are probably the most popular.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-11-2013, 7:41 AM Reply   
Hi Alex-

I absolutely follow your thought trail new gear (board, bindings, etc).

HOWEVER, my recommendation would be to splurge on the best set of bindings you can get. While they're a good entry level boot, the Divide isn't going to provide the foot support and contact points with your foot what will allow you to drive leverage.

Watch a few videos of Dean Smith in 2011 and you'll see that the Mana was designed to be a fast, aggressive, driving shape for those who like to charge and go big. If you're looking for a board to progress on, you've certainly got it. Invest the money in the bindings, that's really where the deficit in your setup is. Your Mana will feel like a new ride.

If you glue winter boots to a 1500 dollars snowboard, you're going to think it rides poorly You've got a high revving, big horsepower engine in the Mana, it's just driving on stock tires and suspension with those boots, currently. If I can indulge an analogy. haha

You can get some awesome bindings from 2011 or 2012 super inexpensively and get the results you're looking for. Not to mention basically savings a few hundred bucks for gas, partying, sweet shades, your college education, a ton of scratch offs, or tons of new wake gear (vest, rope, handle, boardies... etc)
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-11-2013, 7:44 AM Reply   
I actually looked at the 2011 Mana at one point... it's a big air/ wide cut rider's dream- which I love.

You can see Dean destroy it in this 2011 Mana review. It's certainly a great board.

Old     (Pannellboy004)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-11-2013, 11:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider111 View Post
the current setup you have can still take you a long way. But if you are set on a change i can understand that, especially if you are looking for a more supportive high-end pair of closed toe boots/bindings.

Tell us what you like and don't like about your current board and boots.?
what do you want more of or less of? i.e. do you want more speed? less grip/ tracking?

Also just curious, what is your weight and size?

***Don't underestimate a good wake rope if you don't already have one
It catches on my edge a lot more than other boards i have ridden and i was just looking to get a faster and smoother board with serious pop... Because with the mana i can get the distance but I can't get the height I need to go to the next step... and it might be my bindings that is a good thought on that.. and i'm 6'1" and 170lbs.. I'm interested in what yall think about what board should I get if i was to get one with what bindings...
Old     (Pannellboy004)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-11-2013, 12:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye7708 View Post
Hi Alex-

I absolutely follow your thought trail new gear (board, bindings, etc).

HOWEVER, my recommendation would be to splurge on the best set of bindings you can get. While they're a good entry level boot, the Divide isn't going to provide the foot support and contact points with your foot what will allow you to drive leverage.

Watch a few videos of Dean Smith in 2011 and you'll see that the Mana was designed to be a fast, aggressive, driving shape for those who like to charge and go big. If you're looking for a board to progress on, you've certainly got it. Invest the money in the bindings, that's really where the deficit in your setup is. Your Mana will feel like a new ride.

If you glue winter boots to a 1500 dollars snowboard, you're going to think it rides poorly You've got a high revving, big horsepower engine in the Mana, it's just driving on stock tires and suspension with those boots, currently. If I can indulge an analogy. haha

You can get some awesome bindings from 2011 or 2012 super inexpensively and get the results you're looking for. Not to mention basically savings a few hundred bucks for gas, partying, sweet shades, your college education, a ton of scratch offs, or tons of new wake gear (vest, rope, handle, boardies... etc)
Which binding would you recommend??
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-11-2013, 12:45 PM Reply   
Alex,

It does have a more thin rail along the edges and that can contribute to a few more edge catches compared to something with a surf-like rail. I used to ride the Viva and I solved the problem by hopping switch, it had a scary sharp edge, so that just took the edges out of the equation.

The rocker line and side cut will make that Mana one of the faster boards around in general. Pop-wise, there are a TON of factors that come into play when you're talking about pop. Construction-wise, the late, exaggerated kink of the rocker line of that board is built to boot you. Technique wise, making sure you hold your edge all the way through your wake, have good tension on your line and stand straight off the wake with a little less speed coming in, you'll lift more vertically than horizontally. Do you have a substantial enough wake shape to lift you vertically?

Boot-wise, I've been riding the 2011-2012 Ronix Cells. They fit my feet very well, they have a great amount of support (I have really bad ankles) and more than enough flex to poke and tweak grabs. While I can't comment on many other recent binding editions, I've ridden this line for the last few years and they've really done a good job with it. Either way, some more supportive and higher end boots will make that board feel way different. I switched from 07 shanes to the 09 Cells and suddenly my Covin felt like a new board.

So, my suggestion would be, if you're committed to buying something new, get the boots first, try them on your current board, and see how that changes the feel of your ride.
Old     (Pannellboy004)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-11-2013, 12:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Alex,

It does have a more thin rail along the edges and that can contribute to a few more edge catches compared to something with a surf-like rail. I used to ride the Viva and I solved the problem by hopping switch, it had a scary sharp edge, so that just took the edges out of the equation.

The rocker line and side cut will make that Mana one of the faster boards around in general. Pop-wise, there are a TON of factors that come into play when you're talking about pop. Construction-wise, the late, exaggerated kink of the rocker line of that board is built to boot you. Technique wise, making sure you hold your edge all the way through your wake, have good tension on your line and stand straight off the wake with a little less speed coming in, you'll lift more vertically than horizontally. Do you have a substantial enough wake shape to lift you vertically?

Boot-wise, I've been riding the 2011-2012 Ronix Cells. They fit my feet very well, they have a great amount of support (I have really bad ankles) and more than enough flex to poke and tweak grabs. While I can't comment on many other recent binding editions, I've ridden this line for the last few years and they've really done a good job with it. Either way, some more supportive and higher end boots will make that board feel way different. I switched from 07 shanes to the 09 Cells and suddenly my Covin felt like a new board.

So, my suggestion would be, if you're committed to buying something new, get the boots first, try them on your current board, and see how that changes the feel of your ride.
Alright man I'm pretty site on the ronix cells now since many different people have said that the way I need to go... and Yea my wake is a good enough wake shape... I ride behind a 2006 mobius xlv and its puts off a good enough wake.. I just want to hear some opinions on a upgraded board to the one I have just for fun?
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-11-2013, 1:09 PM Reply   
Hmm... yup the Mobius definitely has a vertically structured wake, that's for sure!

On the board front, I went from the Ronix Viva Modello to a Slingshot Kine because I wanted a single board to ride cable, wake, and winch sometimes. It's been a fun ride. Pretty good pop, stiff enough to really boost off of, and some playful flex as well. The thin profile made it a pretty quick reacting board as well. It's also quite light for it's size (I ride a 145 and I'm 6'1 and 180, same build you are.)

Last edited by hawkeye7708; 04-11-2013 at 1:11 PM.
Old     (Pannellboy004)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-11-2013, 1:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Hmm... yup the Mobius definitely has a vertically structured wake, that's for sure!

On the board front, I went from the Ronix Viva Modello to a Slingshot Kine because I wanted a single board to ride cable, wake, and winch sometimes. It's been a fun ride. Pretty good pop, stiff enough to really boost off of, and some playful flex as well. The thin profile made it a pretty quick reacting board as well. It's also quite light for it's size (I ride a 145 and I'm 6'1 and 180, same build you are.)
So you think the bigger board gives you a more stable ride and easier to control? I figured it would be to heavy? But truthfully I've always road the 137-139 boards....
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-11-2013, 1:51 PM Reply   
My opinion (for what it's worth) is that you can never go wrong with a bigger board. When I started boarding around 2004-05 I rode around 140ish sized boards and all was good... then I went to a 136 to try it out and because I felt it would be lighter and easier to maneuver- the landings got more harsh, I crashed more, and I got less pop (with the same form, weight, speed, and rope) because of the decreased surface area. I went from that 136 to a 143 then two more 144's, then finally my 145 Slingshot. What I've felt with bigger boards was that they had a more smooth ride on the water due to larger surface area, they had a more solid pop due to increased surface area off the wake, and the biggest thing I noticed was the SOLID landings. Depending on where you landed they were a little harder, or a little softer, but they became very consistent and solid upon landing (no sinking, less sketching out). So, that said, I've become a huge proponent of a larger board.

In the last handful of years, boards have gotten SO light it's really allowed the same sized person to ride a bigger and bigger board at the same swing and handling weight as an older, smaller board. My 2012 Viva was very light, and my 2012 Slingshot, because of it's more thin construction, is even lighter than the Viva I had.

Again, my opinion, but if you look at Oli DeRome or even Dean Smith, the size of their boards compared to them is almost disproportional, as they ride a bigger board.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-11-2013, 1:55 PM Reply   
This last summer, I was riding a lot of System 2.0 and I needed a cable board so I wouldn't beat up my Viva's base (I've had the misfortune of breaking my share of boards, so warranty eligibility is super important to me... Boards are so expensive!) and I got a great hookup on a 137 Phoenix. It was fun, but when I would try to boot my OHH and Hoochie Glides off the kicker (Current profile picture is one of the bigger ones) I would land just fine with the board under me, but I would sink and crash a lot of the time. The smaller surface area of the board eventually led to the board snapping in half upon a landing.

I got the 145 Slignshot out and the whole game changed, my landings were super solid and I didn't sink anymore, so I feel more validated in my landing opinion. haha
Old     (Pannellboy004)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-11-2013, 2:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
My opinion (for what it's worth) is that you can never go wrong with a bigger board. When I started boarding around 2004-05 I rode around 140ish sized boards and all was good... then I went to a 136 to try it out and because I felt it would be lighter and easier to maneuver- the landings got more harsh, I crashed more, and I got less pop (with the same form, weight, speed, and rope) because of the decreased surface area. I went from that 136 to a 143 then two more 144's, then finally my 145 Slingshot. What I've felt with bigger boards was that they had a more smooth ride on the water due to larger surface area, they had a more solid pop due to increased surface area off the wake, and the biggest thing I noticed was the SOLID landings. Depending on where you landed they were a little harder, or a little softer, but they became very consistent and solid upon landing (no sinking, less sketching out). So, that said, I've become a huge proponent of a larger board.

In the last handful of years, boards have gotten SO light it's really allowed the same sized person to ride a bigger and bigger board at the same swing and handling weight as an older, smaller board. My 2012 Viva was very light, and my 2012 Slingshot, because of it's more thin construction, is even lighter than the Viva I had.

Again, my opinion, but if you look at Oli DeRome or even Dean Smith, the size of their boards compared to them is almost disproportional, as they ride a bigger board.
Alright man thanks for the great opinions!!! if you have anything else you think is helpful just let me know I'm all ears..
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-11-2013, 2:50 PM Reply   
No problem, Alex!
Old     (Pannellboy004)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-11-2013, 3:19 PM Reply   
I will take any other opinion from any other person that has an opinion to give?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-14-2013, 6:07 PM Reply   
Great opinions here so far. took me a while to follow up with the thread.

I will also recommend moving up to a bigger board. both your height and weight point to the next size up. whenever people's weight/size falls between the recs of two different board lengths it is typically safe to move to the larger of the two. (I weigh 165 am 6' and i ride a 142 slingshot response and older recoil of same size) everything should feel better with larger board; speed, pop, landings.

if you can, go to a store and try some boots on. its hard to get an idea how a board rides in a store but you can get a good feel for boots in a store.

Personally I am biased to slingshot. huge fan of flex. more forgiving landings: softer i think. if you land a little nose heavy the nose flexes and can help prevent a nose dive too. thin profiles as said before which makes them feel lighter than they appear. made in the USA and environmentally friendly