Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (michelle07)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-17-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
Hey we lost our drop ski on the delta on 6-16. We went to pick it up and it drifted and we couldn't find it. It's a wood drop ski for barefootin. Last used right after the Ferry heading away from Ski Beach. If anyone found it can you please respond back? }
Old     (fulltilt429)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-17-2007, 8:06 AM Reply   
Dropping skis in the delta on a weekend? post shouldnt say anyone see it... it should say did anyone hit it, cause i need to buy you a prop.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       06-17-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
agreed.
Old     (damienk)      Join Date: May 2002       06-17-2007, 8:47 PM Reply   
A SKI? Sounds familiar...hmmm... think I saw one in a museum once.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-17-2007, 10:30 PM Reply   
And the wakeworld community responds with such courtesy...

Hope ya get your ski back.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-18-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
we used to drop a ski all the time and i don't know how many times when we went back for it some yahoo would be picking it up like "looky what i found me!" and we would have to say HEY thats our ski...read it doofus...it says right on the bottom "Please leave me be, a barefoot waterskier will be back for me"...once we dropped it and forgot til we were miles back at the dock...we found it about a year later about 12 feet up in a tree having been put there by high water...a whole year!

i hope you get your ski back
Old     (tsbs)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-18-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
WTF... that's littering. I've dropped my wakeboard before, but I'd never leave it behind.

You water skiiers are dopey.
Old     (tsbs)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-18-2007, 1:04 PM Reply   
J/K
Old     (ride900)      Join Date: May 2007       06-18-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
DO you have your Phone # on the bottom of it so when someone hits it (maybe with their face in a crash) they can call you. See what I'm sayin might not be safe for all on the water way. Maybe the DOOFUS is trying to keep the rest of us safe by pickin it up.
Plus Andy I thought true "BAREFOOTERS" only deep water start I think I've read that from you befor.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-18-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
Its easy to see why wakeboarders are often considered the local douchebag. good luck with the ski.
Old     (damienk)      Join Date: May 2002       06-18-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
Please forget I posted earlier...I no longer wish to be associated with this post. Was just trying to lend some humor.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-18-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
Agreed you guys(being rude) should just crawl back in your hole till you can play nice
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-18-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
summertime, you've never read that from me, one of the cool things about barefooting is all the different ways you can start, i have walked up the beach sat down next to some people and said "hit it" and get dragged 30 feet down the beach and into the water to do a deepwater beach start, i learned to barefoot backwards by getting up on a flip turn ski backwards by scooching out on the boom and dropping face first into the water on 5 ft handle and doing a backwards deepwater ski start(like to see you try that) then step off and foot away backwards...try to get up backwards on your wakeboard...i did it on a ski, then we used the walk around ski get up forwards and then turn around on the ski(no bindings) and step off backwards....you sound like a doofus who picked up somebodys ski. and my favoite start is the flying front tumble up to 1 foot
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-18-2007, 3:27 PM Reply   
Funny thing is that most of negative comments about dropping a ski probably come from people who used to do the same but don't do it anymore because they 'board.

If you hit a ski in the water then you're not paying attention, and looking for someone to blame your own deficiency on. Whilst drooping a ski in a busy area isn't the most sensible (we always used to drop ours close to the shore) it's something that's been done for many years now so people should be aware. If you hit a branch do you go looking for the tree to sue it?!
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-18-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
"it should say did anyone hit it, cause i need to buy you a prop." Now thats funny!

"Agreed you guys(being rude) should just crawl back in your hole till you can play nice".
Thats what this site does, make one small mistake & theres 3-4 others chewing them up.

Has anyone ever tried stradling a wakeboard to get up barefoot?
Old     (ride900)      Join Date: May 2007       06-18-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
I'm not being rude i'm being real. If I was coming across the wake full cut and land say 15 feet in the flats eat Sh*& and hit my face on a ski that was floating upside down (cause that's how skis float), thats not, "Not paying attention" thats a WATER SKI that some idiot left floating. Just isn't safe to do in a high traffic area. If I hit a log thats just crappy luck. If I hit a Ski thats crappy luck and someone elses fault because nature didn't put it there. See what I'm getting at.
If you came around a blind corner in your car and hit a downed tree well that sucks. But if you came around a blind corner and hit a drunk driver that pulled out in front of you are you NOT going to want to talk to him about it. And don't say you were driving too fast YADAYADA-Yada. It's just an example.
Yes we did drop skis back in the day but the delta was a different place back then. There are people every where now and I just don't think that it's safe call me what you want but if I ever hit a ski out on the delta i will promise you, you will never see it again.

And besides that Andy isn't there a Barefoot forum you can go to. (I just started posting but this is a wakeboard forum)
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-18-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
you wont find barefooters in a congested area .

(Message edited by rodltg2 on June 18, 2007)
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-18-2007, 4:33 PM Reply   
Summertime- Andy actually contributes good information to this site... your just being a big D-Bag, and not really contributing anything but flapping lips. Oh and this is WAKEWORLD not wakeboard world as much as we'd all like it to be.

(Message edited by tyboarder03 on June 18, 2007)
Old     (ride900)      Join Date: May 2007       06-18-2007, 4:34 PM Reply   
Not only Barefooters drop skis
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-18-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
From a barefooter's perspective...

I rarely drop skis, if I do I will plan my start so my drop ski ends up in the weeds (I plant my right foot, my ski usually goes left, my driver hugs the left shore, my ski usually stays where I leave it).

That said, most of the time when it's not where I expect to find it when I return, I find it in some slob's boat once I chase them down. Last time I dropped one I found it in the hull of a fishing boat I was chasing from my drop zone. When they saw the face of an adrenaline hyped barefooter ready to jump into thier boat they tossed the ski before I made my jump (lucky for me, as I was about to do something very stupid). That was the last time I dropped a ski on the delta in the summer, now its deep starts only.

Michelle,I have a couple extra drop skis if you need another, nothing worth stealing, but functional. I find the uglier, the better. Send me a pm if you are interested.

Summertime, you should spot your landings before you leave the wake, you should be able to see an overturned drop ski, you should be able to board over an overturned ski, your driver should not pull you next to floating obstacles. Do you often hit floating logs? IMO you are over-reacting and your comments are out-of-line.

Andy, we gotta go footin sometime, it's rare for me these days (except for last night).

mikeskiw@gmail.com
Old     (ride900)      Join Date: May 2007       06-18-2007, 4:59 PM Reply   
Probably a bit out of line, but I have landed on a floating log once that was unable to be seen, By anyone. I can tell you that I do have a clue as to the "area" that I am going to land in but on a long cut trick into the flats the landing when I start my cut is over 150 feet away so I can't spot an overturned ski or a log just under the surface. And I was not saying I was landing on the ski I said that "What if you crashed and hit your head on that ski" so the landing spot was not where the ski was.
I'm not arguing just to be a di*& I'm arguing for that fact that I want someone to realize that if someone did hit their head on that ski IT WOULD BE the ski owners fault not the person that hit the ski. PERIOD!!!!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-18-2007, 5:13 PM Reply   
I agree with summertime, I think its irresponsible to leave a hard piece of equipment floating down a public waterway. In a slight rolly body of water a small ski is not going to stand out very much and is the equivalent of laying a land mine in a place where it is not expected. The idea of one floating around for a year...I wonder how much damage that caused(or could have). Imagine if wakeboarders consistently dropped crap in the water, with the sheer # of us there would be crap everywhere & the Rangers would be all over us. Dollar says its violating a law of some sort...

From the CA Department of Boating & Waterways "When finished skiing, make sure all gear is secured in a storage rack or tied down, and all lines are safely stowed. Injuries have resulted from boards falling off racks, tubes blowing overboard, or boat occupants becoming entangled in ski lines."

(Message edited by stephan on June 18, 2007)
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-18-2007, 5:36 PM Reply   
We got warned back in the day doing the same thing teaching people to single ski. Sheriff told us it was against the law to drop a ski.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-18-2007, 5:53 PM Reply   
hahahahahahahaha
this is getting funny now,
experince levels are showing...
like was said you won't find barefooters in congested areas, we do try to send the ski into the tules and thats why they are hard for us to find, we have dropped wakeboards and kneeboards too and the skis do not always float one way and all this stuff floats on top of the water and is very visible if in the open...

for your information i have seen plywood and 2x4's and other building materials used to construct makeshift rails that are then abandoned and left as trash in the delta by...none other than wakeboarders...and you are worried about somebody dropping a ski? and want to sue them for your face hitting the ski?
you are just arguing to be a d$#@
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-18-2007, 5:57 PM Reply   
and when we lost our ski it was in such a remote part of the delta that none of the people on this board have ever even been there
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-18-2007, 6:00 PM Reply   
I've landed literally feet from a stick/log what have you, and all you have to do is ollie it or ride over it or cut around it... not a huge deal, but I'll usually stop to pick up any debris I see if large enough and take it to shore or just hold it in the boat for a bit as I'm sure many do. People drop skis all the time, I've seen a wakeboard in the water just floatin that prolly fell off someones rack... but it was easily visible so I left it assuming someone would be back for it. Hour later it was gone and nobody hit their face on it(that is a stupid hypothetical situation). So when you hit your face on a beer can floating are you gonna keep it or you gonna go look for the owner to sue. Get off your Hobby Horse
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-18-2007, 6:17 PM Reply   
personally i do not use one anymore,
in fact when we teach backwards barefooting we teach the backdeep first, we do not use the step offs anymore, its easier just to learn to backdeep up for get all the skis

mikeski-we are usually out north of orwood in secret slough on weekends but i do get invited to 2 private lakes one is daiblo shores its about a mile from orwood. i have a friend who has a boat on a lift at lindquist too...
they will be holding the Western Regional Barefoot tournament there at diablo shores on july 28, its free to watch.
here it was on sunday...

Upload
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       06-18-2007, 6:24 PM Reply   
I'm stealing this post cuz its going nowhere...

Do you wakeboarders really spot your landings before you take off? I'm still pretty new and I'm looking at my wake if not out a little. Its not till after I'm up in the air that I look at where I would be landing. Hell, now that I think about it, I don't think I even do that, I think I have my eyes closed hoping I land. LOL
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-18-2007, 6:27 PM Reply   
careful you might hit a ski with your face, at least according to some...

hey michelle i really do hope you get your ski back...
Old     (ride900)      Join Date: May 2007       06-19-2007, 8:59 AM Reply   
Andy,
I love how you think that you are the oldest person on the delta "and when we lost our ski it was in such a remote part of the delta that none of the people on this board have ever even been there"
I bet more then just you and your barefoot buddies have been there. Shoot I've been on the delta since I was 2 bet I've even been to you secret place.
Personally I don't think that Hitting your face on something in the water it is a stupid hypothetical situation, it is something that could happen slim chance but it could happen (and I will argue this for ever)

I never said anything about Suing I just said that it's the resposibility of the person who left the crap in the water. If I broke my face, prop, or board I would expect that person to make right.

And yes Andy some of the garbage is left behind by wakeboarders, But not all wakeboarders are punks, I may be coming off as an ass but I just don't think it's right to leave crap floating in the water for people to hit I don't care if you were a wakeboarder, Barefooter, Waterskier, or Jetskier.

Heavy agrees with me and as long as there is one person that sees my side of it I'll let this die.

And yes this is WAKEWORLD but this thread is on WAKEBOARDING DISCUSSION. So I just don't think its the best place for Andy to bash Boarders.

OUT!!!
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-19-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
Guys I can see where Summertime is coming from, it could happen. I hurt My knee last summer coming down off a Vulcan attempt. When I spotted my landing I saw a small 2x4 floating I tried to adjust my landing and when I landed I hurt my knee ( I was out for about a month ) If that would have been a ski I would have been a little pissed. I know That Andy Barefoots north of Oarwood and dropping skis in that spot up there is no big deal but out in the open delta. Might want to think about that.
I hope you find your ski too cause it could hurt someone, Fat chance but it could.

AL
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-19-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
I kinda agree with summertime on this. a busy waterway is no place to drop a ski when you are footin'. too many bad things can happen. if you are dumping a ski in to the tulies or something, that is one thing, but dropping it in the middle of the lake/delta is not a great idea.
I do hope you recover your ski Michelle. good luck with that.
maybe try and have a chase boat or something the next time out. they can pick up the dropped ski for you.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
Gee you've been out on the delta since you were 2
whats that make you now? 4?
i wasn't bashing anyone, you posted on a thread where a gal is asking for help to find her ski, you just blow hot air.
oh and i do have a wakeboard and know how to ride it.

And your statement:"hit my face on a ski that was floating upside down (cause that's how skis float)" is like saying a flipped quarter always lands heads up...just a dumb statement period. And its flat out incorrect.
and if i go to my secret spot on july 4th i won't even see another boat there and it is public water...and its too narrow for wakeboarding

as far as debris in the delta being "natural"... i guess if you hit your face on a piece of cut firewood which i see floating in the delta all the time along with entire trees that have been cut by man and bottles left floating by man for you to worry about a dropped ski is straight up moronic. Argue it as much as you want. at this point i could care less what you think.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-19-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
If I hit a floating ski, I would chalk it up to very bad luck. I would not be looking for someone to blame. Thats whats wrong with the world today. Everyone goes after everyone. Wakeboarding, skiing, barefooting, all have risks associated with it. When you decide to do it, you take on those risks. Crap floating in the lake is part of it. Thats why YOU should check out the area you are going to ride in, BEFORE you ride. Who knows whats lurking under the surface.

THose that continue to blame everyone else for their actions are going to be the ones, everyone else is blaming when we can't afford insurance on our toys anymore

(Message edited by psudy on June 19, 2007)
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-19-2007, 9:47 AM Reply   
If you hit your head on a floating ski you, your boat driver, and part of your crew are not being observant or responsible. I would actually put equal responsibility on the driver and rider. A ski is easy to see, and thus avoid, and communication should occur anytime an OBJECT is seen in the water. Beer bottles and any other trash is just as likely to cause damage, and is harder to see. No, a ski should not be dropped in a busy waterway, but an online forum is also not the right place to bash someone who is just looking for their property. These random bashes and comments are getting ridiculous.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-19-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
Yeah, completely impossible to hit something floating in the water, tell that to Tyler Killingsworth. He's a rider from Canyon Lake & featured in the films Delta Sessions & DS2. Tyler hit a floating log in Florida & it almost killed him.
Upload
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-19-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
We used to drop ski's or kneeboards back in the day. It's definitely sketchy. I'd probably stay away from it these days. Too many people riding the delta. Back in "secret" slough I wouldn't worry too much as it doesn't really go anywhere, but areas like railroad slough or any other thoroughfare it just isn't smart.

IMO, just learn to ride the right way and you'll never need a drop ski.

Incidently.... while hitting a drop ski isn't that likely, it is possible. I'm not sure I'd want my name or phone number on a drop ski. You'll definitely be liable for damage if someone were to run it over and cause injury or damage.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-19-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
Oh, and Andy..... "your" secret slough isn't really that secret. I'm pretty sure that anybody that foots on the delta knows exactly where it's at.

For what it's worth.... If I found Michelle's drop ski I would gladly return it.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-19-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
I don't think anyone said it was impossible to hit something. I bet tyler checks out the area he is going to ride in now. That looks like it hurt.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-19-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
poor Michelle, her first post started a big controversy...all she wants is her ski back.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
and a busy waterway is not normally where you find people stepping off skiis...

yeah she lost the ski off skibeach which is a pretty busy area BUT i'll bet it was not too busy when they stepped off and dropped the ski...unless somebody was hotdogging barefoot through the wakeboard boat rollers...which is not impossible but highly unlikely. you call it butter, we call it glass, you call it butter cause its soft and smooth at 25mph, we call it glass cause its smooth and hard at 43mph or 47mph

no im not the old man of the delta but i know who hal schell is and i know who marty stanley is and i wasn't happy when they died nor when hals wife died...in stockton...and their ordeal the schells lived through...i was at the golden gate a huge 150 yr old redwood dredge that used to be anchored along miner slough and i met the old man of the delta there, he had fasioned a spanish galleons transom with big lanterns hung off the sides, he had a giant carved devils head that spit beer out of the mouth into your glass...i was 18...he had railings around the dredge made from tools welded together the tools were 100+ years old, he had a huge fishtank with a sunken ship in it and real gold deblooms from a shipwreak and he told us all stories of looking into the fishtank and traveling the seven seas, since he had collected things from all over the world, a sword was in there...the whole thing is gone now, the dredge the old man nothing there now but halls island...
i'll bet nobody on this forum ever saw/went to the golden gate(not the bridge!) and if they did i want to have a beer with you and talk about that place...
Old     (owaved)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-19-2007, 10:24 AM Reply   
Andy wrote.....
"as far as debris in the delta being "natural"... i guess if you hit your face on a piece of cut firewood which i see floating in the delta all the time along with entire trees that have been cut by man and bottles left floating by man for you to worry about a dropped ski is straight up moronic."

Andy, what would you think of a person if you saw him throw cut firewood, cut trees or bottles into the Delta?
Though not the way I would have stated the point, I agree w/summertime. We are all guilty of watching a rider (wakeboard, barefoot, etc.) rather than hawking the water for potential dangerous objects. Since the ski is a potentially dangerous object, it is not a good idea, IMO, to drop no matter how remote the chances of injury or damage.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
theres plenty to watch out for in the delta
Upload
Upload
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2007, 10:57 AM Reply   
hahaha evan evan evan
secret is named secret its no secret its been secret for years there is a sign there(west coast barefooters training site), no it does not say secret but everybody who knows... knows its secret slough.

i have other places on the delta that really are secret...our ski was out there for a year and no one picked it up...it was brand new over $100...if anybody paid any attention then they'd know the delta is over 1000 miles of waterways...most of the wakeboarders congregate in small areas...luckily for me...my skiing audience usually includes sheep and cows and i have been barefooting and ollied over dead sheep in the water and big dead fish etc...
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-19-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
Maybe I'm the only one but whenever in the Delta, I basically pray "Please don't let another boat run over me and whatever creatures are living in this place, please stay the f--k away from me." I trip over how much crazy shat you can see in one day's trip. Hitting a drop ski is the least of my worries!
Hope you find it...
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-19-2007, 11:15 AM Reply   
It's a little trickier finding "secret" spots for wakeboarding since it's ideally 200 ft wide and 20 ft deep, but back in the day we had a bunch of "secret" spots, too. The kinda place that you didn't want to see at low tide and that you had to crank the motor up on the lift plate for as little draft as possible. Made for good barefooting and stinky, stagnant water, but we usually had it to ourselves.

BTW, I'll definitely not argue that you've been around the delta for alot longer than me. I've got a few friends that you've probably run into footing over the years. The guys that taught me back in the day before I figured out how cool wakeboarding was. LOL!!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-19-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
i understand today's world of "finding someone to blame," but if i hit a ski that someone left behind, someone IS to blame. you can be the most alert driver and alert driver, but some things you're just not going to see. if it's a log you hit, there's no one to blame. it's just an unfortunate incident. if it's a drop-ski that's left behind on purpose, he/she who left it behind is to blame.

either way, the drop-ski would be returned by me or anyone i ride with if we found it.

(Message edited by dakid on June 19, 2007)
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-19-2007, 11:32 AM Reply   
Just my 2 cents, I dont think Michelle is in the wrong here since they went back to look for their ski. Its not like they dropped the ski and said we will get it next week or something. If barefooting is the sport she chooses to do, why are people telling her where or when shes allowed to do it. No one here owns the delta and makes the rules that everyone has to follow. They dropped the ski and they went to go retrieve it. It was gone, she was asking if anyone might have picked it up on here..

What if waterskiers came on here and said hey Wakeworld community, we would appreceate it if you guys didnt wakeboard in the delta, since we like to ski there and we dont want your wakes ruining the water for everyone..

Or a tubing group to come in and say you guys are in our way from doing S's and going crazy with our tubers. Please stay off the lakes or go somewhere else...

Hot boaters saying That the wakeboats get in the way of us going fast and ruining the water with their rollers.. we want to drag race in the delta and dont need you guys out there ruining it for us..

Everyone has their own thing they do and can be part of a group just as we are. It doesnt mean that everyone else is wrong
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-19-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
isaac, i hope i didn't come off as saying they can't ski the delta. that wasn't my intention at all, nor was it anyone else's (i think).
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-19-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
Joe, your post didnt come off like that at all. I was just saying in general. Alot of times people think they have more of a right at places or more right doing certain water sports just because thats what they are into, where as everyone has to share the waterways and be aware of the obsticles that may be on the water... that might mean to be more alert than usual in case there IS a drop ski in the water, or there ARE boats racing in the waterways etc...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-19-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
i understand being aware, but like i said above, if you hit a log, tough luck. if you hit a ski, it's the person's fault that left it there. sometimes, one simply can't see it all.
Old     (owaved)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-19-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
Nor was I suggesting that bare footing shouldn't be done in the Delta. I admire anyone that can do it. My only point is that dropping a potentially dangerous item in a water way is not a good idea. Even for a short time, it is still there and still poses a danger.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-19-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
Isaac,great post.

I had some experience with this last nite and can see both sides of it. Picked up a ski I thought was lost. No ski boat in site, wind blowing like crazy, i'm thinking if they forgot it, they'll be back, but there's no way they're footin in this. I stick it in the boat. Leave it sticking out above the deck, so they can see it and wave us down. Turns out, it was a pontoon boat full of people and they're were teaching someone to slalom (... i guess). I gladly gave them their ski.

I also spent the rest of the nite trying to avoid hitting it.

Was it an inconvenience? Not really. I had to be aware of where it was. Like everything else on the water...
Was it a danger? No, we're all fine today.
Do i have any right to bitch/whine/complain? None whatsoever.
Do i have the right to be a narcissitic dumbass? Absolutely not

(Message edited by denverd1 on June 19, 2007)
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-19-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
Joe, I just see it as part of the territory. If thats what people choose to do, and dropping a ski is how its done, then thats how the sport runs. Otheres need to be aware of this.

Heres the other thing that comes to mind.. We go out 3 days a week wakeboarding.. sometimes at the delta, sometimes at other lakes.. I dont think I have ever seen a drop ski in the 10 years I have been boating. How often do you guys see drop skis floating in the middle of your path?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-19-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
first time in 5 years
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-19-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
I used to see it at Naci back in the late 80's, early 90's, but I sure dont see it anymore.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-19-2007, 12:18 PM Reply   
Isaac, there is a difference between throwing a roller and leaving a hard object floating in a public waterway as a general practice.

Nacho, now imagine you hit the ski & ended up looking like the guy in the picture above. I think your list would change to something like this.

Was it an inconvenience? Yes it was, my brain tried to escape & the hospital bill was expensive.

Was it a danger? Yes, did you see my dome noggin?

Do i have any right to bitch/whine/complain? Yes, my f-in head hurts, but luckily chicks dig zipper skull scars.

Do i have the right to be a narcissitic dumbass? Absolutely. Someone left that in the water and now my future is in jeopardy.

Your confusing narcissism with self preservation. Odds are better I'll twist a knee or something like that, but thats on me. Someone else causing me to get hurt by their disregard, creates the issue. Yeah everything worked out great but intentionally leaving that in the water is dangerous, no two ways about it. What would you guys say about leaving a tow line in the water?
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
name one incident of hitting someone elses dropped ski please pretty please....im waiting...tap tap tap...nothing? oh so its just a bunch of whiners.
let me play this tiny violin to go with your whining.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-19-2007, 12:42 PM Reply   
I guess thats an accurate list from an "imagined" situation.

Instead, I imagined myself being more careful while sharing the cove with this boat. And it worked, just as i suspected. Self-preservation at its finest.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-19-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
In regards to:

"spotting the landing before you take off" - Doubtful, I hardly ever spot my landing, I am usually looking at where I will hit the wake.

"Warning the rider from the boat" - I actually have tried to do this several times with both experienced and inexperienced riders alike. Once with a rattlesnake, and another with a log. The rattlesnake came up so fast (and small) by the time I was signaling, the rider was cutting into the wake. At that point I had two options: Power down and PRAY the rider doesnt get hurt on the fall, or throw a nice dumper to hopefully pull the rider out of danger. Either way could have resulted in some a serious injury. The second time involving a log was pretty much a similar scenario. In my experience: typically by the time you roll up on something big enough to cause damage and small enough to not stick out far away, its too late.

Given the option of either deep water starting, or leaving a piece of floating debris in the delta I would opt for the deep start; especially on the weekend.

I think this is a great topic/thread. Hopefully everyone can at least debate this sensibly and not get bent out of shape.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-19-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
Stephan, what if there was a guy in a small aluminum boat fishing, and you came by wakesurfing.. Does he have no right to be there either? You take the risk of damaging his boat and everything inside...
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
There is more debris of every kind imaginable floating and lurking just under the opaque waters in the delta, for a boat driver to not constantly scan for any and all danger is irresponsible. we BAREFOOT in it, we have hit stuff, we have gotten stitches at lodi general and chipped heel bone too...tell the doctor i was being towed by a boat backwards on my barefeet at 43 mph and hit a floating piece of wood...the doctor could not even imagine what its like to hit wood at 43 with your foot...

i am sure glad to see the drop ski police on the job. i know have a problem, i have dropped a ski before...many times, ill get into a 12 step program and see if i can kick the habit

the people worrying about a dropped ski are worrying about the needle in the haystack...get over it.

And she did not lose her ski at wakeboard beach, she lost it at ski beach....watch out for that ski!!!!!!!!!george george george of the jungle friend to you and me! ha ha

(Message edited by bftskir on June 19, 2007)
Old     (owaved)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-19-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
Andy said....
"i wasn't bashing anyone, ....."

Good thing your not bashing anyone...enjoyable having a decent chat with you. You've made us all want to return your dropped ski. Be sure to put your name on it.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-19-2007, 2:02 PM Reply   
Isaac, I wouldn't be doing it on a small waterway with little aluminum boats. So yes he has the right & I wouldn't do it so...moot point.

No one is changing minds so lets leave it at this... drop a ski, I'll hold it for awhile to see if you show up, then toss it on shore so I don't hit it, fair enough? Good, leave your ski at your own risk.

Matt, I agree it is a worthwhile topic. I think I'm over it, Andy is clearly the coolest guy ever to walk on water and since I'm a big whiner, I'll just go away so Andy can have his chest thumping moment. All hail.
Old     (dreambig)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-19-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
I seriously wasted 15 minutes of my life. And for what....... Michelle didnt find her ski. Andy knows the guy that built the delta and nacho is in a bad mood..... I need some closure.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-19-2007, 2:15 PM Reply   
Stephan, I think your right.. and agree.. no one is going to change their minds and the right thing to do would be to either pick up the ski or move it out of the way.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-19-2007, 2:50 PM Reply   
I can't believe people are whining about a downed ski. The outside world is a dangerous place...maybe you should stay indoors.

PSUDY is right on with this:
"If I hit a floating ski, I would chalk it up to very bad luck. I would not be looking for someone to blame. Thats whats wrong with the world today. Everyone goes after everyone. Wakeboarding, skiing, barefooting, all have risks associated with it. When you decide to do it, you take on those risks. Crap floating in the lake is part of it. Thats why YOU should check out the area you are going to ride in, BEFORE you ride. Who knows whats lurking under the surface.

THose that continue to blame everyone else for their actions are going to be the ones, everyone else is blaming when we can't afford insurance on our toys anymore."

Difficult concept to grasp for some....maybe we need to add another warning label to the stern, helm, trailer, river, lake, forehead, (insert location).
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-19-2007, 3:00 PM Reply   
"If I hit a floating ski, I would chalk it up to very bad luck. I would not be looking for someone to blame"

yes, it is bad luck. so is getting hit by a drunk driver. both acts are careless. drunk driving is obviously much much more serious, but both can be considered a careless act by both.

how many of you get to the lake, and drive around the lake for 20 minutes to make sure there is nothing floating where you are going to be riding?? not me. stuff drifts anyways. if you are going to be driving into the sun, or you are in the shadows, your visibility drops a bit anyways. anyone who purposely leaves floating objects on a busy waterway are committing a careless act.
like I said before, if you are going to do this, have a chase boat to pick it up. or just do deep water starts if you choose to foot it up.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-19-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
Wow, I just looked at this thread, we haven't had a debate for a while.
Leaving a ski floating in a busy water way is wrong IMO, and someone could get injured that's a fact. I would be pissed if my kid dropped out of a trick and hit one. My 2 cents. And Andy when your launching off a wake your not looking around for something floating, you make it sound like it's the riders fault if he hits one, what's up with that
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-19-2007, 3:21 PM Reply   
Wow, what an epic pissing match.

If I found a ski anywhere near where I driving or riding, I would make an effort to stop and put the ski onto shore so that it isn't (possibly) endangering anyone...just as I would any other piece of debris that might damage another's board, boat or life.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2007, 3:21 PM Reply   
the only people who talked about leaving a ski in a congested area, busy area were the whiners

Poor Michelle just wants her ski back,

i am definitely defending dropping wakeboards, kneeboards, or skis...there is more to watersports than wakeboarding despite what some of you think. And congering up some impossible scenario is just a bunch of whining. i asked for anyone to tell us about an actual event of hitting a dropped ski, wakeboard or kneeboard?

you would pretty much have to be blind not to see these items before you are on tp of them.

the fact is you have to watch the water all the time as a driver and as a skier or rider.

remember i ski barefooted, if we hit even blackberry branches we get 43 mph splinters at the least, we don't put all the responsibility on the driver(alot of it is though) but not all, in the end its up to the guy on the end of the rope if he hits something...and when we ski backwards we can't even see whats coming...
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-19-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   

quote:

...and when we ski backwards we can't even see whats coming...

You make it seem like us wakeboarders are always looking directly in front of us for possible land mines. That's isn't quite the case. I can't speak on behalf of others, but I'm more focused on the wake and the general direction that the slough might be going in. I'll throw a general glance at the water surface every now and again, but I'm not just gonna sit there and study it because people think that it's appropriate to ditch their equipment.

Now have I ever worried about hitting a ski? Nope. Am I worried about it now? Nope. But you better believe that I'd actively hunt down the M-Fer that left their ski in the water if it hurt anyone in my boat.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2007, 3:55 PM Reply   
i am saying if you are boating in the delta you have to watch out. Your driver has to watch out.
all the time or you will hit something. see staples in the dudes head above caused by log...maybe he should have checked out the area more carefully first or watched where he was landing(i don't know the details).

everytime you go out you are taking chances, worrying about and making such a big deal about one or two skis left floating for a few minutes(normally) is just worrying for worryings sake.

your odds of loosing a limb to the skirope is probably 1000 times greater

a dropped ski in the delta is a rarity these days, the whiners have made it out to seem like you guys are dodging dropped skis as you fall on your faces everytime
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-19-2007, 4:01 PM Reply   
you're calling us whiners, yet you seem to think that leaving a plank of wood floating aimlessly on a busy waterway is ok. I would call that littering. but since you are apparently the mayor of the delta, I guess your ticket will get lost in the mail.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2007, 4:14 PM Reply   
thomas

i'm only calling the whiners whiners.

we go back and pick the item up. get it?

she lost her ski. get it?

she wants it back. get it? its not litter, its valuable.

and dropping skis has been happening forever and its not a problem.

wow you whiners know who you are wah wah

Thomas do you smoke?
i bet if you do... you're a butt chuckin litterbug and feels that your butts are not litter...

in my experience in the delta a dropped ski very quickly goes towards shore and out of the boating area of the waterway.

people getting down on her or me for dropping a ski are straight up whiners.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-19-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
Andy, I do not smoke. I was trying to make a point. clearly, you missed it.
I guess I will just continue to whine about it.
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-19-2007, 5:24 PM Reply   
???

Upload
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2007, 5:41 PM Reply   
facepad for wakeboarders
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-19-2007, 5:41 PM Reply   
Has anybody here hurt themselves by hitting a ski or a board that was left in the water??????? ANYONE... You, you, you, no? OK then. Now how many of you have hurt yourselves simply landing in the water?????? ME and I bet many many more of you. Most of you are complaining about a needle in a haystack. If I saw a drop ski I'd pick it up hold onto it for whoever it belongs to and if I couldn't find them it'd be on shore near the area it was found. All you guys worried about hitting a ski now which apparently hasn't happened to anybody here... do you want some cheese with your whine?

(Message edited by tyboarder03 on June 19, 2007)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-19-2007, 5:47 PM Reply   

quote:

If I saw a drop ski I'd pick it up hold onto it for whoever it belongs to and if I couldn't find them it'd be on shore near the area it was found.

you're not alone. most of the guys in this thread would do the same.

quote:

All you guys worried about hitting a ski now which apparently hasn't happened to anybody here... do want some cheese with your whine?

no one's whining. why are you getting so upset? you're right, it hasn't happened to me nor anyone else in this thread. people are simply talking about IF they hit it, land on it, fall because of it, or get hurt because of it. nothing wrong w/ bringing up or talking about potential dangers that can be avoided.