Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-14-2005, 3:34 AM Reply   
Does anyone wakesurf behind a Prostar 190 (properly weighted))
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-18-2005, 8:29 AM Reply   
i used to surf behind the one i had until '00 or so on a 9' longboard (before wakesurf boards were made). it was pretty good, actually better than the other boat we used to surf (91 Sport Nautique) but would take rollers over the back pretty easy.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-20-2005, 9:56 AM Reply   
I am curious about this. Going to try it with just human balast behind our 98 tmr.....
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-18-2005, 10:09 PM Reply   
Ok, we rode the smaller broadcast behind our 190, and it did ok. We had a 600lb sac where the back seat normally is, and a 200 on teh side we were surfing. THat and a full crew of 7.

It wasn't too bad considering how small the boat is.

Next time (tomorrow), im going to put a 600 on the passenger side, and a 200 in the back.
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-23-2005, 9:56 AM Reply   
We do, but basically just to pass the time. This pic was take with just 750# of lead spread around the boat, no sacs. It also works well with a #450 in the back and #250 in the bow.
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-25-2005, 6:06 PM Reply   
Check out the post at
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/242400.html?1122142934
and the picture of the wave behind our Tige 20i which is also a relatively small boat.
Also, be very careful with solid ballast. Check out the section on ballast and the video of the boat sinking at:
www.HowToWakeSurf.com
Old    ryank            07-26-2005, 10:31 AM Reply   
I surf behind a 190 all the time. Here is the trick to weighting it right. You need (2) 600lb sacs. One goes between the backseat and the engine box and the other on the side of the engine box (the side the person is surfing on). Then get everyone in the boat to sit on the surf side. That is how we load it down and it does pretty good. We have been riding the broadcast, coex, and a victoria skimboard. Just don't make any quick turns with this weight config.
Old    erico            08-06-2005, 1:31 PM Reply   
To Ryan Knopf and other Prostar 190 surfers,
I am a water skier that used to big board surf in Hawaii many moons ago. I own a 1997 Mastercraft Prostar 190 and we started wake surfing last year on 8'4" soft top board and this year we are using a 6'1" landlock. We are trying to figure out the ballast now. Thanks Ryan, your message really helps on how much and where... Questions: Can we use the 150lb cubes for the surf side weight as I am goofy and my buddies are both reg and goofy? Trying to prevent a blown back or hernia moving ballast? Also are X sacs as good as they advertise? And what kind of pump to use as we still want to waterski in the morning and evening
so we need to be able to empty the sacs relatively quickly? Thanks Erico, Redding, CA
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-08-2005, 6:16 AM Reply   
YES! The Pro-X sacs are as good as they claim. I hate fat sacs. The zippers break, the bags tear, and the crappy waterbed fittings don't line up with the openings in the bags. The Pro-X sacs are made of heavy duty "white water raft" material so there is just a bag, not a liner and bag. The fittings are machinged from PVC. The pumps are the Tsunami brand. They are fast and don't require priming. We have used many different brands of sacks and pumps and this is the first one we felt worth of endorsement. They are a little more expensive but well worth it. They should last many times longer than the other styles out there. The 150 pound sacks can be drug by one person, lifted by two. They have a cube shape and can easily be stacked together.