Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-28-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
what was it originally designed for??? Had a few disputes. Puts too much of a rolled over lip on the wake. I always thought it was for surfn but i could be totally wrong so anyone w info thx
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-29-2007, 7:05 AM Reply   
IMO it doesn't really help with the surf wake, it actually doesn't let the boat lean enough when using it for surfing.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-29-2007, 2:58 PM Reply   
What was it designed for, what do you mean? Obviously the Switch Blade was designed as a wake enhancer. Was it designed as Wakesurf enhancer, I don’t think so? Since Switch Blades are Centurion factory options and since Centurion hulls are renowned wakesurf hulls the assumption might be that they are designed for surfing.

So Dave, have you surfed behind an Enzo with a Switch Blade?

Nate, that’s what I hear about the Malibu Wedge, the wedge levels the transom killing the wake. John Rogers runs his power wedge at 50% and builds an excellent wake. I work really hard to build a good list on my boat. Anything that takes the list way would be bad. Should be possible to design a split wedge providing lift on one side and negative lift on the other side, I picture a twistable wedge.

I've looked at the Switch Blade patent. The patent claims that the device works by diverting the thrust of the prop wash. At lower speeds there's less thrust to work with.

Having said all this I haven’t surfed behind a Switch Blade equipped boat so I really don’t have good experiences to share. I’d think that adding side mounted trim tabs to a Switch Blade equipped boat might counter the effect. Let the Switch Blade force the Transom deep in the water then use trim tabs to set your list. That’s an obvious solution or enhancement, it would be interesting to see if I’m right. Should work for the wedge too.

I just got back from a day one the water. We rigged my boat for regular surf, goofy surf, and wakeboarding. That involved moving about 400 pounds of weights and 1,500 pounds of ballast. What a MAJOR pain in the you-know-what. Reconfiguring surf boats is a lot of darned work and its very time consuming.