Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       07-04-2009, 4:35 PM Reply   
Im flying continental with wakeboards in a couple of weeks. I have flown many times with boards and had never had a problem, I always say they are skis. Anyhow, on Continental's website under faq about luggage it has wakeboards specifically listed with a $700 charge for one bag with four boards...fricken insane or what!?
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-04-2009, 5:32 PM Reply   
DO NOT FLY with them. They are the worst for wakeboards. Last year we paid $95 for a board (one way) and about 6 years ago they charged me about $270 (one board) to fly from the UK to Orlando. Virtually the price of the board at the time. I have posted on here before about them. Avoid them like the plague.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       07-05-2009, 6:38 AM Reply   
Shoot...Well wish me luck man, I have no choice now. I leave in a week and a half and...damn!
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-05-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
If you are traveling with someone else chances are your seats will not be together. How stupid is that? The wifie and I had to scramble to get seats next to each other on our trip to Cozumel. One the way home, no way Jose'. Our return trip was a nightmare with delays and lost luggage. NEVER AGAIN.
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-05-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
If you are going to fly with a board. You have to fly SOUTHWEST! For our snowboarding trips, this was a no-brainer. All of the other airlines wanted to charge us ~$100 one way for our boards. With Southwest, all of our luggage was free. Can't beat that!
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-05-2009, 1:20 PM Reply   
Check the embargos. They don't allow surfboards and a lot of other extra luggage at all during the summer months. We snuck in just before it and paid 100 bucks each way for surfboards which unfortunately is the norm these days for flying to certain locations.
Old     (supernatural)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-05-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
Does anyone know the charge for a "golf bag" like the one LF makes? Just got one but not sure which airlines let golf bags on for free.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-05-2009, 3:12 PM Reply   
All of them I think. Don't want to pi$$ off the wealthy.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-06-2009, 8:26 AM Reply   
Most airlines count a golf bag as a regular piece of luggage, cannot weigh more than 50 lbs unless you divy up the extra money. But Delta has began to charge for checked luggage. A golf bag on my last trip to FL was 25.00 and they didn't charge on the return due to flight delays. I managed to take my clubs and was able to squeeze a blank board in the travel bag. Bindings and vest were in my suitcase.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       07-06-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
I do have the Slingshot "Golf" bags so I will be traveling with those. I was advised by a Slingshot team rider to actually put a golf club in there and if they ask, tell them its golf clubs. He said they do it all the time, that way they are not "Lying" if they check inside. I think Ima put my boards, some clothes and a golf club in the bag whilst keeping it under 50lbs and just tell them its luggage if they ask. They have never asked me before, however....
Old     (vtecths)      Join Date: May 2009       07-06-2009, 12:35 PM Reply   
ouch.. your better off overnight fedex and bubble wrap the crap out of it!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-06-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
My Best Kiteboarding Golf Bag never gets charged US flights. International is always a different story
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-06-2009, 1:51 PM Reply   
Sorry, didnt' bother reading much on this thread, but I promised the last customer service rep I spoke with I would take every opportunity to publicy bash continental for their p*ss poor attempt at running a company. Continental sucks. the worst airline out there.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-06-2009, 2:03 PM Reply   
+1 FLY SOUTHWEST!
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-06-2009, 3:46 PM Reply   
Maybe buy a seat for your boards?
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-07-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
Just tell them they're trick skis and keep it under 50 lbs. $15 for the 1st bag and $25 for the 2nd.
That's the same as just about all of them, get used to it.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-07-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
I think it's stupid that you need to, but having a golf club in your bag could help out. Last March on our snowboard trip, Flying US Air, they didn't even weigh the board bag, saying it was ski/snow equipment and it was okay because they had higher weight limits.
Well on the way back I put even more in there (mistake) to make sure the other bags were under 50lbs, and the guy weighs it and says an additional $75 for overweight. I said we weren't charged before, he said I was lucky, and after some bantering, he said golf clubs are the only things allowed over 50lbs. So I just said "then they're golf clubs". He somehow believed it for a minute and I thought he was working with me, but then lastly said, "Okay, just need to see a golf club and we're good" I would like to know what my face looked like. So, if you're worried, or flying the worst airline (US Air), I would pack a wedge or something just in case, as the rider recommended
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-07-2009, 9:59 PM Reply   
Continental is a joke of an airline.

My first year ever going to INT nationals we flew continental. Our plane was supposed to land the night before at 9pm in bakersfeild.after the first flight being delayed 2 hours, they told us the next one was delayed as well by two hours. Putting us in somehow at 4am the day before my division was first off the dock.

After we got off the plane, I just happened to look at a screen that said our flight left in 15 minutes. Sure enough, the flight attendant had B/S'ed us into almost missing the last flight to bakersfeild that night. I got to bed at 3am.

We have flown southwest every time since hassle free.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-08-2009, 4:16 AM Reply   
US Air just informed us that effective July 1st all sporting equipment that is not in a "regular" bag will be minimum $100 each way. This includes golf clubs, skis, snowboards, baseball/softball equipment etc. Must be in a rectangular bag no more than 40 inches in any direction, and under 62 inches width+height+length.
Old     (scheaferwake)      Join Date: May 2009       07-09-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
Just got back from Florida flying Continental.

Charge was 100.00 each way for each board. They charged the guy ahead of me $15.00 for his Golf Clubs.

Took boards back to car and just rented boards at OWC. We took our Bindings and head gear as carry on.
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-09-2009, 2:07 PM Reply   
just got back to denver flying united from NORCAL. They didnt even ask what I had on the way there, and on the way home I said it was a snowboard. (Jet pilot roller bag) It just got charged like a normal suitcase.

My advice is to not draw attention to yourself. Just act like its nothing and most baggage people are so busy doing their own thing that they are not going to even care what you are checking. "easier to get forgiveness than permission"
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-09-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
Someone needs to invent a folding 'travel board' like the Ronco fishing poles.