Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2003

Old    nero            07-31-2003, 6:23 AM Reply   
I called my local ski pro yesterday and was asking him about demo'ing some boards and I told him I was a complete beginner and I was 6' and 195 lbs. He told me I should definately go with the 2003 hyperlite motive 140 or 144. Anyone had any experience with this board? Is it to slow or slippy on the water? Thanks alot.
Old    nero            07-31-2003, 6:32 AM Reply   
Here is what it looks like.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-31-2003, 6:34 AM Reply   
It seems like all the shops push Hyperlite...
They make a great product and the Motive is a good board for you definately. Be ready to spend a little more than you had originally anticipated.
Old    nero            07-31-2003, 6:37 AM Reply   
I know, I was planning on $300 for a complete board for my first. Bindings and all. But I am finding out it is going to be at least $500. I want a good beginner board that is going to allow me to progress and not just leave me a beginner. Plus almost all the completes that I have found are 135 boards and I have been told by everyone that I need a 140 at least.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-31-2003, 6:48 AM Reply   
That Obrien Cobe and DLX were on sale at The House for $229.00 and both were 141cm.
I don't think there is that great of a difference in these boards to where it will allow you to progress significantly more with one or the other.
That's just my 2 cents.
The Motive is a great board and Hyperlite boots are the best in my opinion so you really can't go wrong with that setup. That and it looks good .
Old     (noneya)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-31-2003, 7:28 AM Reply   
The motive is pretty good, been looking for a while and this is the best deal i have found:

http://fc2k.ronniesbasics.com/showitem.cfm?catnum=70&parentcatnum=0&itemnum=779

Definetly get at least a 140, if i were u I would go w/ the 144
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-31-2003, 7:44 AM Reply   
I am 6'2" 220 and have the 2003 Motive 144. Love it, now that my abilty has progressed a lot from when I purchased it, I changed out the stock 1.7 fins for the fins that come with the Premier, 1.1 I think. It gives it more pop and makes it looser in the flats for surface tricks. So it's a great beginnner to intermediate board and with the fins switched out it will take you to advanced/intermediate level. So go for it!! At your size you could probably go with either the 140 or the 144, when you are a straight beginner the 144 will be better for you, you are kind of right on the border of both sizes, try to demo one if you can in both sizes.
Old    steveb7            07-31-2003, 7:53 AM Reply   
I started with a vero and liked it, but eventually wanted something that cut harder, but my wife a motive and liked it very much. It's easy to ride and you'll be able to use it for a long time. I ended up riding a premire, but still ride my wife's motive from time to time
Old     (ahuser22)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-31-2003, 8:00 AM Reply   
Might wanna try a Liquid Force Rhythm as a beginner, or if you are looking to keep the budget down try the Liquid Force Search (but the search only comes in 135 and 143).

I am a big fan of Liquid Force and have always used their products. Good Stuff
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-31-2003, 10:27 AM Reply   
I’m pretty sure the Motive is the same board as the 00 Belmont. I picked one up for my wife this year and she took to it right away as a first time boarder. Try (www.adrenalinewatersports.com), they have a decent deal on the Motive / Split binding package.
Old    bobbymucic            07-31-2003, 11:05 AM Reply   
The Rhythm and the Motive (or older belmont) will feel very different. The Rhythm doesn't have molded-in side fins. I rode one and I did not prefer how "loose" it was. I often slipped out. I think molded-in side fins are very important to have.
Old     (grwoolf)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-31-2003, 6:59 PM Reply   
I am 6' 1" about 195 and ride the 140 belmont (same thing as new motive). I also rode my friend's 144 and the 140 was much better for me.
Old    walt            07-31-2003, 7:38 PM Reply   
I'm 6-4 225 and ride a Motive 144 and love it !
It's a great board for beginners
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-01-2003, 1:31 AM Reply   
I'd say the 140, the 144 might be a bit big.
I have an old belmont (same as the motive) and I think its a great board for all levels.
Old    mike_rennie            08-01-2003, 1:44 AM Reply   
I would get it at Trinity Board Shop they will match any price......maybe you could get a good deal there. Plus you can ride the board for 30 days and if you don't like it you can send it back I think it sounds like a pretty good way to go???
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-02-2003, 6:32 AM Reply   
If you have a Galyans in you area check them out. My first board was the Motive 140 with the split bindings and I got it for $279. I know have a Parks 143 and use the Motive as the House board.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-02-2003, 6:43 AM Reply   
That is a good board to learn on. It won't slide out on you because it sits pretty deep in the water. It still gets good pop too. With that board (Like many others) you can learn your first trick on it all the way up to the pro level. A 140 would be the perfect size in my opinion.

You may also want to think about buying used. There are a ton of these shapes around.
Old    hyprmotive            08-02-2003, 10:24 AM Reply   
I am a beginner/intermediate rider, 185 pounds 6', and have been riding (and loving) my motive 140 for two years now. I couldnt pass it up for 250$ new. It is great for beginners but also for more advanced riders; the least advanced rider i know has one and loves it (cant even do a 180 yet), and the most advanced rider I know has one and loves it (can do roll to revert /raley etc. . .) I personally think that the large center fin is a great setup; not as locked down as four fin boards (parks) but not as loose as smaller molded in fin boards (byerly). Smooth feel, good pop. GET It and youll be happy. And you wallet wont be drained.

(Message edited by hyprmotive on August 02, 2003)
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-02-2003, 10:31 AM Reply   
I have a motive and love it. I got the board and hyperlite belmont bindings for 500. The bindings were leftovers.