Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-11-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
Oh, and taxes are going up at the end of this year. the top two teers, 33 and 35% will be increased to 36, and 39.5% respectively. Thats approaching half your income.

Capital gains and dividend taxes are also going up. From the current 15% to 20%.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-11-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
Oh, and inheritance tax threshold dropped from $3.5mm to $1mm. After $1mm, they take half of the money someone worked hard to leave you.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-11-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
Paul, the inheritance tax doesn't mean much to most, same for the upper tiers and the CGT and dividend taxes.

You are the man, I now pledge full allegiance to the Tea Party!!!!

(Seriously, I'm heading out to put the boat in the water. Just wish it was a little warmer here in TN, it's a bit cool (mid 70's, I know I'm a wimp, but cooler water makes my bionic ankle ache). Hopefully, the wind lies down just a bit more).
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-11-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
You stated taxes have not increased and you are right, but they will. You will find that that increase does mean a lot to the people that put others to work.
Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-11-2010, 7:35 PM Reply   
What Jeremy doesn't get is, the Administrator sent the American Flag wearing students home while letting the Mexican Flag wearing students stay in school, and Jeremy is OK with that for school safety. If the Administrator had only sent home the Mexican Flag wearing students, Jeremy's attitude would be totally the opposite saying that it was a violation of their free speech rights. And he and everyone else knows it! So Jeremy, who's the bigot? Almost everyone on this website knows it's you.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-12-2010, 1:26 PM Reply   
Strib, if I saw Mexican students wearing Mexican Flags on say Flag Day and I thought it was going to cause an issue, I would send them home.

P.S. I am about as white as they come, born and raised in the South. I married a white girl, who is probably fiscally more conservative than most. I guess I am bigoted against myself. (I am shaking my head in disbelief at that statement).
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-12-2010, 6:29 PM Reply   
Jeremy,

understandably, you just don't get how "it" is out here. when your state has 7 million invaders demanding every right that YOU actually fought for, but YOU also have to pay for, then you may just change your opinion.
Old     (martinez30)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-03-2011, 10:35 PM Reply   
I know this is an old post,however, I despise how most of you assume and approach this issue without knowing the facts. I served in the military as an Army Medic (as many immigrants have and are), was a Boy Scout (as many immigrants have and are), kids are in Scouts (as many immigrants have and are), and pay my taxes, like everyone else does, and I love this country - like you all obviously do, but unfortunattely people like yourself don't look at the bigger picture (perhaps that is why there havn't been as many replys). Honestly, before you despise, first know what the "American Flag" means to you and what this country we call "home of the "free"" means to us, becausein reality, it isn't really "home of the free," amongst other things...peace!
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       08-04-2011, 9:07 AM Reply   
Mexicans
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-04-2011, 10:07 AM Reply   
If someone prefers to display the flag of some other country above the flag of the country they live in, I'd say move.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-04-2011, 5:11 PM Reply   
/\/\/\ Agreed Brett...You have the freedom to leave if you are promoting your "home" country or heritage over the country you are living and working in. Why does everyone got to be a "Mexican American, African American, Japanese American, etc.?" Why can't you simply be "American"?
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       08-04-2011, 6:54 PM Reply   
There is a serious assimilation issue. For the most part they refuse to learn the language, disregard our immigration laws and look for every opportunity to shove a Mexican flag in our face. When was the last time you met someone from Africa or Russia that migrated to America legally and didn't speak a lick of English? In Texas, you can meet Mexicans that have lived here for 10 years and still can't speak a sentence in English. Fail.
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-04-2011, 10:11 PM Reply   
Why can't I simply be American? I'm not simply American because I am from Mexican descent. Second generation born and raised here. I can't speak for everyone, but for me being Mexican-American simply implies that, nothing more. Don't read too much into it as it doesn't make me less American or you more American than me. And while I do agree on some level that everyone should learn the language of the country they're in, I realize that not everyone will care to do so. Do I get butt hurt over it, no. More power to them. My father came here in the mid 50's under the Bracero program and worked his ass off in the fields. Growing up I would ask him why he never bothered to learn English and his response was "I did not come here to go to school, I came here to work." I think about it now as an adult and fact is, he did not need it in order to perform his job as there were mostly Mexicans working the fields beside him. Plain and simple. BTW, he's now an American Citizen and can barely speak any English. I guess I should buy him a one way ticket back to Mex since he never really fully "assimilated." je,je,je...<---- my Mexican laugh.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       08-05-2011, 5:53 AM Reply   
Tony, I can appreciate your point. I think some of it is a cultural issue. If I moved to Japan, China, or Russia... I would feel obligated to at least have a basic understanding of their language so I could communicate when I went to eat or went to a store, etc... I'd also like to understand what people around me were saying. A lot of Mexican in Texas do not work in fields. They work in hotels and in restaurants clearing tables. Personally, I do find it slightly disturbing when I ask one of them a question (like where is the bathroom) in English and get this deer in the headlights look back. I can appreciate hard work and I know working in fields and roofing houses 12 hours a day is damn hard work. The house behind me is getting a new roof and had about 10 Mexicans on the roof in 110 degree record heat from sun-up until sun-down yesterday.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-05-2011, 6:15 AM Reply   
Rob, how about when they give you that I don't understand English gesture so you attempt to speak to them in Spanish, only to discover later that they speak perfect English. I have found (because I understand a lot of Spanish) that with some, it's an arrogant attitude that they think we should conform to their language instead of the other way around.

When a Mexican national is to busy or doesn't have the means to pick up English (for a while), I don't have a concern. But, when it's a choice because they feel like they shouldn't have to or just don't want to, then I say shame on them.

It should be a requirement for citizenship, or for a visa extension beyond perhaps the initial visa term limit.
Old    deltahoosier            08-05-2011, 8:33 AM Reply   
Point is, you are here to be an American. Not a Mexican culture in America. Multi cultural nations do not work. You have to have similar goals as a society.

On a second point, they need to stop printing documents in multiple languages. It is costing a fortune for this. Even the dang cartoon industry figured out that even adding a extra finger to the character cost a ton of money. Why can't the government. It is another unfunded mandate for "social" issues. It cost the states their budgets.

Last, it would not be a huge deal if we did not have illegals protesting (with Mexican flags in tow) their rights to free funds from tax payers. Then add in that many "legal" Mexican decent immigrants are actually for illegals. Mostly due to the anchor baby issue where the children as citizens and their parents are not. So they see it as a ok thing to do. We basically have a whole voting block that does not support the laws of the country or support the ability of the tax base to support necessary needs of society such as education for one.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-05-2011, 8:41 AM Reply   
I do have a problem with people flying a flag of another country on our soil. I also have a problem with people flying any flag on the same level of our flag, ever. I find it funny that Mexicans fly a Mexican flag so proudly, when the country was/is so crappy they fled to another country. If I was so fed up with the USA, and immigrated to another country, I'd be so pissed the last thing I would do is fly the USA flag.

We have immigrants from dozens of countries where I live. I have never seen anyone but Mexicans fly flags of there native country. I just don't understand it. I guess they have the right, but they shouldn't be upset when other people get pissed about it. Just as they have the right, others have a right to there opinion.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-05-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
"Multi cultural nations do not work. You have to have similar goals as a society."

That is the biggest load of bull I have ever read. The US has and always will be a "multi cultural" nation. WGAS what flag someone flies? Here in America, you can fly any flag on your property you wish. I have a shirt that I bought with an Australia flag on it in Sydney that I wear on a regular basis, I haven't had one person say I shouldn't where that, and I live in Tennessee.

You guys act like a bunch of Alabama fans and some guy that moved into the neighborhood is flying an Auburn flag.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-05-2011, 11:39 AM Reply   
Not to beat a dead horse anymore, but how many millions of australians are flooding our or other nations demanding the same rights and more of the actual citizens? Oh thats right, none.
Old    deltahoosier            08-05-2011, 1:27 PM Reply   
It is not a load of bull Jeremy. You obviously avoid history class. You can not have a society that has different goals. The goal of illegals is typically to come here, work a job and send the money out of the country. Then there is the gang issues and the 33% of the prison system being illegal immigrants. The 9 billion dollars a year (back in the early 2000's) they spend on illegals in California alone for education. Then throw in the strong Mexican population in our state that is convinced that California and other states were stolen from them. Organizations such as la Raza (the race).

Our society is built around RULE OF LAW and the freedom that comes with that.

They clearly are from a different culture in that they are NOT for the rule of law. They are by the very nature against the rule of law by their very existence in the country. Then throw in the the American culture was born and bread to be rugged individualism from from government oppression. Their culture is one of strong central government and they have not renounced that thinking. That is not what America is about and they are not here to change their own personal cultural thinking in regards to the role of government, but, to make extra money so they can bolster their position in their native country. If you do not believe me, then look at what Mexico tracks as their 3rd leading import. It is money coming into the country from their citizens living in the US.

You are blind. pure and simple.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-05-2011, 1:53 PM Reply   
^You see the problem as the illegals, when it is the people that employ illegals is the problem. You can bitch like a winey girl all you want, but as long as there are corporations that choose to employ illegals, we will have this issue. And don't give me that crap they all illegals are working under the table. You advocate less regulation, now you reap what you sow.

"Not to beat a dead horse anymore, but how many millions of australians are flooding our or other nations demanding the same rights and more of the actual citizens? Oh thats right, none."

Oh okay, so we welcome immigrants, just not Mexicans?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-05-2011, 2:07 PM Reply   
Thanks for putting a liberal spin on things. Big shocker.
I have zero issues with legal immigrants from any country. I dont give a crap if you are from iraq, poland, china or mexico. Just come through the proper channels like the rest of the law abiding citizens who came before you. The whole "mexican" issue is very prevelant here in the usa, especially the western states ( which u dont live in, so u cant understand how bad it is) because of their geographical region. It is very similar to what the muslims from the middle east and east africa are doing to the scandinavian countries. Except for the fact that the scandanavians originally welcomed them with open arms. Not so much now.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-05-2011, 2:09 PM Reply   
first off, I owe my one of my managers a mixed drink with an umbrella in it. She guessed that Jeremy would post an opposing post within 2 days of this thread being revived. My guess was 12 hours. You win Charla...

secondly, Delta, I find just the opposite to be true. All of the legal Mexicans that I know are disgusted with the Mexican Illegals. They say that their grandparents or other descendants waited and waited the correct way and that the illegals should go through proper channels too. They also believe that every U.S. citizen should be able to speak English.
Another point that they make is that if someone looks down on a person who can speak both languages both at times chooses to speak Spanish, then they are a red neck. I somewhat agreed. I have since actively pursued re-learning Spanish. I also teach my kids that it is pretty impressive to know more than one language.

Just to point out; I am in the restaurant business. I know a lot of Mexicans. I occasionally ask most about their opinion on these sensitive topics.
Old    deltahoosier            08-05-2011, 3:27 PM Reply   
I don't care which side of the coin. Illegal vs people who employee them. If you don't see the problem as illegals then you have a big problem because you are not for the rule of law either and you are typical of what I see from the leftist these days.

You are trying to combine two different arguments. Muticulturism is a person issue. The people in question is willing to come here and take advantage and do so illegally. That is a individual thing. They are sponsored by their country of origin to do so, they send the money back and the country of origin tracks it and counts on it. We take care of the education and the prisons for these people just like the country of origin hopes for. Employers do not make them commit crimes. Employers don't make them march for benefits holding Mexican flags. Employers do not make them have kids that also who don't care about the rule of law and vote for a cradle to grave government regardless of the economics of it.

On your little liberal rant about corporations and employment. Corps are more likely to get their employees from workers on VISA's. At least your so called evil corps that supply vast amounts of jobs and place that small businesses sell to. In California, it is the construction trade unions, farm labor and your smaller packing plants and gangs that employee illegals. The Corps tend to need white collar workers.

I don't know what you smoke in regards to deregulation. I support both wings of government when it comes to business. I do not believe in stupid regulation in the so called name of the environment when it is completely a share the wealth grab by the UN. I am for American jobs and thus against NAFTA. I knew as a young man that NAFTA was a scheme to equalize all of the America's in wages. Problem is you have to have people playing by the same rules and every time some idiot democrat wants to add more regulation, it costs American's jobs in the long run because it makes doing business in American too expensive thus the money flows to the path of least resistance and that is out of the country. SO, don't tell me I reap what I sow. We are reaping what you sow and it pisses me off.
Old    deltahoosier            08-05-2011, 3:31 PM Reply   
Cliff, I think you misunderstand what I am saying. I say children of illegals that are now legal (children are only legal due to anchor baby status). They have a different mind set than legal's and children of legals. I agree with you there. Children of illegals that are now legal tend to have the mind set that there parents did it so how can they be discusted by it.

Last edited by deltahoosier; 08-05-2011 at 3:32 PM. Reason: edit
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-06-2011, 6:52 PM Reply   
"first off, I owe my one of my managers a mixed drink with an umbrella in it. She guessed that Jeremy would post an opposing post within 2 days of this thread being revived. My guess was 12 hours. You win Charla..."

So I guess we should all be mindless zombies with the same perspective on things. Hopefully, it was something top shelf.

Delta, you need to get laid or something, you are way too tense all of the time. Life's too short to be pissed off at everyone.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       08-06-2011, 8:09 PM Reply   
jeremy is a student. i'm pretty sure that once he's out in the working world for a few years, his perspective will change. it usually does once the irs starts dipping into the wallet you've busted your arse to fill. if it doesn't....then his parents must be career politicians...of the democrat persuasion.
Old    deltahoosier            08-07-2011, 11:43 AM Reply   
Oh. For crying out loud Jeremy. I don't go around pissed off at people literally. I am using figuratively for discussion. I am one of the nicest people anyone will meet. I go out of my way to try and do what I can for anyone.

It is not about being mindless zombies either, it is just that there are only so many ways you can do things right and a ton of ways to do them wrong. If you want to succeed in anything consistently, you have to go with the high percentage play. Problem is, government tries to inter weave monetary policy which has no heart and ALWAYS flows to the path of least resistance (just like water and electricity) and emotion (humanism). Problem is, the battle is not longer about who shares in the spoils. It is about idealism based on control of the masses. Back in the old old days of europe it was religion, today it is environmentalism and multiculturism. We all know that rich people can be scum. Everyone knows money corrupts and we all know and have seen people preyed upon by rich people to a certain degree. We know who and what that is. Modern Republicans and moderate democrats agree about that these days.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-07-2011, 12:15 PM Reply   
Chuck, let's say my parents are career politicians..."of the democrat persuasion". Do politicians not pay taxes or do only republican politicians pay taxes? I am amazed that people still believe that there exists some perfect political party. Republicans are for big government just as much as democrats are, you have just bought into the idea there is this huge distinction between the two parties.

I've been in the working world for many years and my perspective hasn't changed.

Last edited by wake77; 08-07-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-08-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
Nobody is against imigration, and most dont care what legal immigrants decide to do with what they choose to learn. However, it gets annoying when ones foreign nationalism becomes so defiant to the sitting culture that the rest of society has to be whipped by it at every turn. Here in the US we only see it from one group. Being annoyed at the behavior of one group does not equal being anti-immigration, racist, or elitist. An american shouldnt have to listen to phone prompts in multiple languages before making a selection. They should not have to scour forms to find the english questions.

I would even go as far as to say it isnt the migrant "worker" who is the problem. Those that we see actually doing the work and being productive are only a small percentage of the total who intend on being good migrant workers. Its the failed migrant worker who is the problem and they are much more plentiful.