Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-23-2012, 9:57 AM Reply   
On the weekend I installed a Firestone Ride-Rite kit in my truck with a compressor and gauge to fill/deflait. I'd like to add a line so I can hook up a air hose for filling up tires. As anyone done this? I'm thinking I can just put a "T' in the line to the back bags with a shut off behind it to reroute to a different outlet?
Attached Images

Old     (crypted1)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-24-2012, 3:25 AM Reply   
That setup would work untill you forgot to open the valve back to the bags. Then it may blow your hose off if you have a strong compressor.
Does your compressor fill automatically? Or do your manually fill when your check the bag pressure?
If it were mine, I would install a solenoid valve instead of a "T" with a shut-off. That way you direct the air from inside the cab with the flip of a switch. So if you where filling a motorcycle tire or something, and forgot to open your shut-off valve, you just flip the switch that you install for the solenoid and the air goes back in your bags if your compressor is running. This would work the best if you manually run your compressor. If it auto fills then you'll have to put a manual over ride on it so you can turn it on to fill with the air hose.
Your solenoid and manual over ride switch can be the same switch if you don't much dash space.
The wiring isn't too bad for this. If you need help let me know, I'll try and draw you a schematic.

Congrats on the bags. I bagged my wife's Pathfinder, made a HUGE diffenence when pulling our boat.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-24-2012, 6:33 AM Reply   
Also you will get a lot better ride if you have the air bags separated. If you have the bags on the same line it will allow air to move back and forth between air bags.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-24-2012, 8:17 AM Reply   
Did you buy the firestone kit as a complete system? I bought the same thing and was told that this idea would not work. I think they said that it would take forever to fill a tire.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-24-2012, 9:03 AM Reply   
Thanks Scott. I did a bit more research yesterday after posting. It looks as if you pretty much need an independant system or more of a onboard air system that consists of a much better compressor and the addition of a tank. They would still need to be separate switches/lines so my idea won't work. The other thing is the compressor I have now is not meant to run a long time and C.I.E J-Rod you're right that without a large compressor and tank it would take a long time. I would need a kit like this: http://www.viaircorp.com/OffRoad/10003.html

Jarod: Your right, but with towing a boat I don't think it will matter as much as if I had a camper on the back that I need to actually worry about having a leveled load without sway. I will purely have weight from the boat itself. But we'll see. I can always change it later. Isn't a hard project at all to do.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-24-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   
CIE J-Rod: It was a complete rear bag kit yes but the kit has the air lines run out to the license plate so you can fill with air at a gas station or so. You have to buy a separate kit that has the compressor and gauge to be able to fill/empty whenever you want. I lucked out that my buddy had bought the compressor kit a few years back and never used it so he just gave it to me. I bought the Firestone kit brand new on Craigslist for $ 180.00 which retails for $ 290.00 so I reallty don't have much in to this.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-24-2012, 10:21 AM Reply   
Gotcha.

The firestone kit has served me well by the way. I'm very happy with mine. I've got the digital gauge in the glove box. I love it. Good luck.