Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-16-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
I am looking to buy my brother a board for Christmas and am trying to choose between two closeouts. He is pretty much a beginner - W2W with a couple grabs. He seems to like boards that have a solid feel/hold across the entire board (ie good hold both when on center and on the edge). Also looking for most pop per dollar. Here are the current two options:

07 CWB Faction 138
08 Ronix Vault 139

I have ridden a Vault but not a Faction, so just looking to get some input.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-16-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
Let me tell you what is about to happen. The CWB folks are about to post and will tell you to get the Faction, and then this other Dude will post up telling you to get neither as Obrien boards are the best thing on the planet. I've seen it happen too many times.
Old     (seager_marine)      Join Date: Dec 2008       12-16-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
Eubanks is right for sure. but is it okay to pitch this...

your brother opens up a brand new 08 Ronix Covin for christmas and thinks you are the man for buying him such a rad board? and you are pumped because you got a smokin deal on a 08 covin?

then you explain that he is going to progress quickly and wont need to upgrade when he starts to rip that stick.

if you are interested drop me an email.

by the way, the faction or the vault would both be fine for him, im just dropping you a line to maybe get him a higher end board at a smokin deal for you.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-16-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
I have been on both, and love both companies. However, I feel like the Faction is probably the best ride for a less experienced beginner. The Vault was actually difficult for me to get used to, and I usually don't have any problems board switching.

Good luck! I'm sure either way he will love it.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-16-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
not knowing anything about the Vault, I would say go with the faction.
soft landings, good pop, great hold, good speed. it is a great all around board. I dont see how anyone can actually grow out of the faction. I know both beginners and all out rippers who enjoy the faction.
either way, you are a kick butt brother for going big on a xmas gift like this!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-16-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
The Vault is one of those boards that has the weird shaping to get you to edge better toeside. How many of Ronix's team rides that board?

The Faction is a pro level board. Symmetrical shape with a huge continuous rocker. It pops big and lands smooth. Jimmy Wolfe rides it as his all the time deck.

Personally I'm not a fan of boards with different shaping for Toe and Heel edging. It seems like a crutch that perpetuates bad habits. Am I biased, absolutely! I think the key to progression is consistency and having to ride differently on your heel/toe edges does not promote that.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-16-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
eubanks: thanks for making me look like an idiot in front of my co-workers! I just laughed out loud in a VERY quiet office.

thanks for the laugh as we try to thaw out!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-16-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
I am with Big Heavy on the "not a fan of non-symetrical" shapes... so from the two choices I personally would go with the Faction. I have heard a lot of good things about the faction. they have a vest and a handle that are also named the faction that are usually stylized to match well together. AND there is even a team of riders that ride the Faction line that call themselves, well, the faction team of course. All this cant be said about the Vault that i know of

FYI i have not ridden either of these boards, but i have tried the hyperlite version of the Vault and i personally thought it was my least favorite ride yet.

And... as Eubanks (eubanks01) said, there will be other people who will recommend some other boards, I am sorta that kind of guy, but i always try to stay on topic (not completely disregard it) of the original question as i have done above. ;)

and my recommendation is a Slingshot Recoil. and there happens to be a limited time (today only) closeout on it on this site here --> http://www.boardersbestbuy.com/

Slingshot is the innovators of the flex-board technology that has recently begun to really turn heads in the wake industry. Super soft landings and responsive pop. Super fun to ride both on the water and in the air. Good for beginners all the way to experts, in my opinion.
it comes with really nice comfy heat-formed bindings as well.
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-16-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input - I was pretty much just making sure that the Faction would be a good all around board with a weak spot. Also, everyone else that rides with me is full LF or Hyperlite. It'll be nice to throw in some variety.

As an add on, how are the Faction bindings? I found some ebay deals for an 08 board/binding package that looks pretty hard to pass up.
Old     (player138)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-16-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
I've got some 07 Faction boots and they're really nice. Pretty soft, don't go high up the ankle.. cool for tweakin grabs and junk which was the same kinda deal for 08. I've also got 08 Zeus's which (I believe) have the same new footbed as the 08 Factions and it is super comfortable.
Old     (player138)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-16-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
Check the binding guide too, if you haven't already. There are a few reviews of the Faction boots - all of them good. http://www.wakeworld.com/boots/getboot9.asp?ProductID=3962
Old     (wakeboardingzach)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-16-2008, 3:51 PM Reply   
get him a 09 ronix ibex or 08 perfect board will last him forever.. even if he starts to hit rails and become more advanced. that board wont tear up at all
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-17-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
Just picked up the 08 Faction board and bindings. They look awesome, I think he is going to be pretty happy (and no more begging to borrow from others!).
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-17-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
Nice! The 08 package is a better setup. The board is lighter and the boots are improved. Once he gets the hang of it put on some smaller fins, it makes the board real easy to butter around. Happy holidays!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       12-17-2008, 12:55 PM Reply   
Good Choice Billy that's a nice setup!!