Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    angels5            08-23-2004, 4:21 PM Reply   
I am looking to buy a wakeboard boat. New or used with a warranty still intact. I want it to take my sons wakeboarding. I just started looking. So far I am partial to Malibu/Mastercraft/Tige based upon my research. I am getting sticker shock on new boats. I'm willing to pay for a good boat, but I also want the best bang for my buck. I live in SoCal, but would drive to AZ/NV for a great deal. Any advice/input is appreciated. Need at least a 10 seater with storage. We always have at least 3 extra kids with us. What the heck is a V drive vs a motor in the center of the boat?

thanks
Old     (boardinbeast)      Join Date: May 2003       08-23-2004, 4:33 PM Reply   
a v drive is when the motor is positioned like a sterndrive ({in the center at the back) inside the boat, but the underwater gear is that of a inboard (prop, rudder, skeggs) A d-drive (direct drive) is when the motor is in the center of the boat like you would think of when someone says inboard.

Both have their advantages, i'll let some others explain those as I'm still kinda new here too =)
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-23-2004, 4:34 PM Reply   
OK, your last question shows us where you are coming from.

My advice:

get a v-drive.
buy 1 or 2 year used over new to save money.
buy much older to do it on the cheap.

Sanger is the best bang for the buck.

CC, MC, BU, Supra and Sanger are all good.

All boats loose about 5to10% per year with an extra 5to10% the first year.

Get a v-drive if comfort/storage/social is more important than unsacked handling and skiing.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-23-2004, 4:35 PM Reply   
A v-drive is a rear engine boat that has a rudder and prop like the mid-engine. The v- drive's are usually better for wakeboarding because they are heavier in the back and they also give you more room inside the boat. If you want something with a warranty you are most likely going to have to buy something pretty new from a dealer which means it is going to be expensive. If those are the 3 main manufacturers you are looking at you should also consider a Nautique. They all make very good boats. Good luck on your quest, I am also on one of my own right now.
Old    sking55405            08-23-2004, 6:09 PM Reply   
Go Sanger. You can get a new 2005 V210...Awesome wake and very well built boat...in the low 30's.

I am on my second and I wouldn't buy anything else.(my opinion). Sangers also hold their value very well if you take good care of them.

Talk to Danny at Central Valley Marine ( Located in Cambell Calif.) Tell him I sent you. ( I just bought one from him). Central Valley also sells Correct Craft which are also great boats but are expensive.
Old    wakebrdgod1            08-23-2004, 11:00 PM Reply   
I've got a '01 Wakesetter VLX totally loaded with just 110 hours for sale. It's in FL but I could ship through our dealer for about $1,000. It's taken "the big hit", is in great shape, and had perfect maintenance. An extended warranty is available but this is our 4th 'bu with nothing but great experiences. Anyone interested drop me an email at briggsr@law.stetson.edu
Old    angels5            08-24-2004, 12:24 PM Reply   
Glad I found this website, there's a wealth of knowledge and opinions. So now I'm looking at a Malibu 23XTi, LSV, VLX or an MC X2, X10, X30 or a Sanger 210,215,230.

What about Sky Supreme? Are they decent?

Thanks
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-24-2004, 12:31 PM Reply   
i've ridden in one sky supreme recently and i thought it was a great boat. It was big drove well (i did drive it) Had a great wake and very good looking! they are cheaper and you get a lot of boat...
I also agree with Dane, sanger is a great boat for the price.
Old     (sup208)      Join Date: May 2004       08-24-2004, 12:34 PM Reply   
I have a v208 supreme and I love it. check out my profile for a picture
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-24-2004, 12:38 PM Reply   
Jacqui,
My buddy has a Sky Supreme- he purchased it about 2 months before I purchased my Sanger. The only reason we take his boat out is to keep it running well..We've played with the weight and can't get a solid wake out of it.He says he wishes he waited and got a Sanger. To give you an idea of how much both boats are used.His has 32 hours on it as of last Sunday and mine had 216 as of the Sunday before. Again, he got his 2 months before I got mine and he is my riding partner. I'm not suggesting that Supremes are bad boats, it seems solid, runs well, et cetera.
The Sanger is far more comfy, smoother, easier to drive, more stable with weight and produces a much, much better wake than his Supreme.

Not doggin' Supremes, I am braggin' on Sangers.

I'm really happy with my Sanger, problem free so far. The only boat I would consider trading for is a SAN, otherwise I'd get another Sanger in a heartbeat.

B-
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-24-2004, 12:39 PM Reply   
Jacqui,
If you can wait untill Oct-Nov you can find great deals on new leftover boats you still get the warranty of new without taking the depreciation hit right off the bat.
Old     (sup208)      Join Date: May 2004       08-24-2004, 12:46 PM Reply   
What kind of supreme? My buddy has V220 and don't like the boat nearly as much as I like my V208. My hull is deeper and has a deeper V. It rides through the chop very well. The only reason my buddy doesn't have a V208 is they just started making them they year he bought his V220 and there were none to be had.

It all comes down to personal preference. Just being able to get out on the water and have a good time is essntially what it is all about in the end.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-24-2004, 12:55 PM Reply   
Jacqui,
Supra's are in the same price range also. I will be interested in selling mine 03 Launch with Warranty after the season for a good deal.
Supra, Moomba, Sanger, Supreme and the more pricey boats are all going to have supporters and people that are tearing them apart. Go with your personal preference. Email me if you want anymore info on Supra. I will probably get another Supra next year. By the way Supra says it has legal seating capacity of 13. Not to many wakeboard boats have the legal capacity that high. Would be tight as heck, but possible
Old    ag4ever            08-24-2004, 5:31 PM Reply   
With the above boats you mentioned, and taking price out of the equasion for right now, I would only look at the following (personally):

Malibu (or reffered to as a BU)
Mastercraft (or MC)

Now with the others that other people have mentioned add:

Correct Craft (or CC or Nautique)
Sanger
(possibly) MB Sports (not mentioned, but good)

If price is a major concern, then two things, the direct drives are a little better price point, and the ski suprimes, centurion, moomba, supra all make boats that are aimed at the price concious tournament boat buyer.

Personally, I have a SANTE that I picked up new for the high $40's in oct '02. I love it.

If I was buying today, I would look at another SANTE, a 211TE, a BU Wakesetter LSV or VLX, or a sanger V215 or 230.

I would not mind looking at a B52, but since there are no dealers near me, I would shy away from them even though they are great boats.

Personally I would probably get the 211 because I also like to slalom some.

Now, if watersports are just a part of the boating thing for you, you might look at the stern-drive boats. (Cost much less, and cruise much better than a tournament boat.)
Old    angels5            09-05-2004, 9:17 AM Reply   
Looked at MC/Malibu this weekend. I've posted another message on the prices quoted. I'd appreciate any feedback on where I should start the dealing at. Have not looked at the Sangers yet, but plan to in the next two weeks.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-05-2004, 12:42 PM Reply   
jacqui - Im in the same boat (ha ha, I made a funny)as you. Im buying my first boat sometime between thanksgiving and next spring to get low prices. I have been riding different boats all summer and considering price, wake, comfort, design and just gut feeling I like the Supra SSV. I havent been in a MC or a Sanger yet (Ill do a sanger soon), but I can't find a thing I would change about the Supra.

Also, Something to consider is your local dealer support. If you buy a good boat and your dealer is a POS that is difficult to get warranty support, it will make your boat upset you. Nothing like have a $50k toy that you can't use because your dealer won't get the 50hr maint. work done in a quick manner.

One last thing I have found. When you buy your boat, get all the options you think you want. Add the tower speakers/racks, the Perfect Pass and ballast. It may cost you an extra 1k to do it through the dealer as opposed to after market, but you can finance it over time and its covered by the warranty. When you spend a big chunk of change on your boat and it doesnt do everything you want, you will feel it every time you are on the water. A friend of mine didn't get a PP or speakers thinking he would add them over time. And each time he goes out it bugs him.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-05-2004, 3:59 PM Reply   
One more option, if youre not in a hurry is to wait until the boat shows start at the beginning of the yoar. That way you ca check out all the dealers,and boats locally to you. Also Ive heard boat show prices are pretty decent for new.