Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    1kanaka            09-22-2004, 2:13 PM Reply   
..Didn't want to highjack the other thread...

My main complaint about the DHM trailers is that there is no place for rear tie downs (on the boat and trailer) and my boat tends to travel back and forth while towing. And depending on the bump I go over, my boat it bounces quite a bit. Anyone else have this problem? Or any of you CC owners have tie downs on your boat?

(Message edited by 1kanaka on September 22, 2004)
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-22-2004, 2:36 PM Reply   
I got one of these:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=143722&catalogId=10001 &classNum=855&subdeptNum=11210&storeNum=17
and some of these:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=65079&catalogId=10001& classNum=855&subdeptNum=11210&storeNum=17

I actually saw that you're supposed to have something like this in one of the manuals or pamphlets that I got with my old 2001.

I think the ones that actually attach to the transom are better because they do more than just keep the stern from bouncing around. I'm assuming you have a trailer with the pads in front instead of the roller (what CC calls a drive-on trailer, I think). I guess the transom mounted tie-downs are more important on roller setups to keep the boat from riding up the roller.

BTW, I also saw in one of the manuals that I got, that you are not supposed to rely only on the winch or turnbuckle but that you should also attach a rope, strap, chain, or whatever to the bow loop as a backup. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-22-2004, 4:08 PM Reply   
My DHM trailer has nice spots for tie downs.

It is the friggin boat that doesn't have a good spot! That is one of the things that I have complained to Correct Craft about, they need to install tie down eyes UNDER the swim platform!

I end up hooking the tie down straps to the swim platform brackets, then cross tying: i.e. fastening the strap from the right hand platform bracket to the left trailer spot. This holds the boat down and keeps it from sliding left and right.
Old    1kanaka            09-22-2004, 4:29 PM Reply   
I never thought of those long gunwale tie downs. Where do you fasten the strap down to your trailer?

Rod, I totally agree with you with the boat not have a good spot! My intital thought was to put some tie downs like you did, but my speedo pitots are in the way. GRRR!! I may have to look into what S.T. has done.

Oh and Salmon..BTW, I'm having a chain welded on as a safety backup this winter. Thanks..

(Message edited by 1kanaka on September 22, 2004)
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-22-2004, 6:20 PM Reply   
Ah...yes. That could be a problem. If your trailer uses boxed rails, I'm not sure what you would do. My old trailer uses c-channel so it hooks right onto the underside of the rails.

You could probably put eye bolts or stainless u-bolts in the rails. Of course, if you were willing to do that, it wouldn't be too much harder to just add tie-down eyes to the transom (about $30 in materials) along with something to attach to on the back of the trailer.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-22-2004, 8:06 PM Reply   
I got boat buckles and mounted them to my box frame by removing the rear light assemblies and gaining access to the inside.
The boat buckles work great and don't have to worry about where to store any straps when the boat is in the water.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com