Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (hooterz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-17-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
Well got my boat out today, did the oil & filter change, changed the tranny oil but when I got to the raw water impellor I could not get it out.
I tried the paint can opener trick, tried soaking it with penetrating oil any suggestions.
I guess I will have to buy a puller.
Old     (waterzomby)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-18-2007, 6:41 AM Reply   
Use some binding lube, it works great and washes out clean.
Old     (ronskal)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-18-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
I see you have a direct drive boat so access is good. On my V-drive I removed the whole pump assembly and worked it on the bench.

The impeller is wedged in there real tight by design. Grab the impeller vanes with a couple of needle nose pliers and pull firmly. If they slip you will have to degrease the vanes first. It will ease on out.

Take note of the vane orientation,lube the new impeller and carefully install. When installing the cover plate, do not overtorque the attach bolts. This will prevent the gasket from deformation.

Good Luck. I'm debating whether or not to do mine today.
Old     (martinique)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-18-2007, 7:13 AM Reply   
I had the same problem so I took it to the shop and and they had to use about 4 tons on the shop press to get it out. They didn't charge me anything and said the puller would not have gotten it out. Don't forget to change all gaskets
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-18-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
Midwest Mastercraft told me this trick. Take the lanyard switch off (the red safety thing that stops the engine from starting) and turn the key every so quickly so the engine turns over a 1/4 turn. You may have to do this multiple times. Have somebody pulling on the impeller at the same time. If I got this to work on a V-drive with inches of clearance to work with, you should be fine.
Old     (hooterz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-18-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
Ron, what hold the pump on, I guess what I'm asking is how do you get the pump off. I think I'm going to buy a puller first.

Thanks
Old     (thedog01)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-19-2007, 8:03 PM Reply   
You can also screw a couple of drywall screws into the impeller and pull with pliers. It allows a better grip than pulling on the vanes