Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (wakebud3389)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-16-2005, 6:44 PM Reply   
What is the purpose of a non USCG approved vest? USCG approved vests are for flotation but what about non USCG approved approved?
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-16-2005, 7:29 PM Reply   
pretty much they are just there to wear...they dont float you at all...IMO i like them a lot better..
Old    norcalbrdrydr            10-16-2005, 8:41 PM Reply   
Dont say that they dont float you at all... They float you, but instead of your head being out of water, you would have to have lungs full of air to keep your head out of the water all the time. Non USCG approved jackets are basically so that you can ride comfortably and so that the sherifs think that you are wearing a USCG approved vest....
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-16-2005, 8:57 PM Reply   
nuscga just means it hasnt been approved by the us coast guard. technically it could have more floatation but this is usually not the case. Also you could make a est out of paper and it would be a nuscga vest. So basically witha uscga vest you are getting a guarantee that if you are unconscious and youre lungs fill up with water your friends will be able to find your body and hopefully save your life. A USCGA VEST IS NOT GUARANTEED TO FLOAT YOU FACE UP. also uscga vest must have two or more buckles so if you see a vest with one buckle its nuscga.
Old    jay_23            10-16-2005, 9:32 PM Reply   
what do you guys think about the liquid force impact vest??????????????
Old     (wes_can_riders)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-16-2005, 10:04 PM Reply   
its super sick.... I got to try kevin henshaws back in 04 before they got released and it was soooooo perfect... The mesh stuff is great

but I would suggest you check out the Xcel Infinty vest... www.xcelwetsuits.com
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-16-2005, 10:12 PM Reply   
cga guidelines mandate there must be 3 attachment points. hence >3 straps on the foam vests, and a zipper and two buckles on neoprene vests.
Old    wakeceo            10-17-2005, 9:50 AM Reply   
The LF Impact Vest is super nice. Really comfortable and also really affordable. The LF Team is also really good.

Check it out:

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=282
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-17-2005, 10:06 AM Reply   
"cga guidelines mandate there must be 3 attachment points. hence >3 straps on the foam vests, and a zipper and two buckles on neoprene vests"

If that is the case then how can those lame orange ones be CGA?
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-17-2005, 10:24 AM Reply   
I'm usually comfortable with my JetPilot Stance, but this weekend I had my first scare in which I wish I had a CGA vest. I had my lead foot come out of the binding on a crash and the board slung around and hit me in the head. If I wasn't semi-submerged and the water slowed the board down it probably could have knocked me unconscious. Since then (Saturday) I've thought more about getting a CGA vest.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-17-2005, 1:16 PM Reply   
Has anyone ever been busted for wearing a NUSCGA vest?

Pete
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-17-2005, 10:54 PM Reply   
OK, maybe someone can clarify for me...

I understand that there has to be a CGA vest for every person on the boat. I was told that the rider can have any vest, as he is not a passenger on the boat, but in the water. So, he can be wearing a NCGA vest while boarding, but once he is on the boat, there has to be a CGA available for him.

Am I correct? I am lazy since I am at work, and don't want to take the time out to research (at least I am honest!).

Also, is it diffrerent from state to state? Do come counties have more restrictive ordinances they have adopted? I don't get out of my area much.
Old     (mattprt)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-18-2005, 6:19 AM Reply   
Had a water fuzz come up beside me on the jet ski and ask me about my vest and said it looked nuscga but then said, "Oh ya that looks good enough" and kept on going. BTW I had an Oniell Outlaw on hahahaha. I like the fact that I can go underwater if I want too avoid props %---------.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-18-2005, 9:27 AM Reply   
Buzz:
It depend on what state you are in.
Some states in has to be on, others just in the boat. If you ever ride behind a PWC, you better have a CGA.

Many years ago I got a $100 ticket for a non USCGA vest in Colorado.

(Message edited by Shredhead on October 18, 2005)
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-19-2005, 5:57 AM Reply   
"I like the fact that I can go underwater if I want too avoid props %---------"

Come on Matthew, you can't be serious are you? Which do you think is more likely A) you fly off your jetski and either get the wind knocked out of you or worse, you are knocked unconscious or B) you have to suddenly dive underwater to avoid a boat prop? Now assuming you picked A, which if by far highly more probable, what type of vest do you think would be better for that scenario?

I know NCGA vests are more comfortable, but do you really think it would be any consolation to your family to hear, "Your son/daughter drowned at the lake today, but he/she was very comfortable when they passed"? Come on people, that added little slice of comfort isn't worth your life.

Jb
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       10-19-2005, 7:11 AM Reply   
Josh I agree. Wakeboarding is dangerous enough when you follow the rules. To wear a life vest that you wont float in is just not smart. A life vest is made to save your life if you hit the water hard and got knocked out.
Would you ride without a vest at all if you could without getting a ticket?
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-19-2005, 7:28 AM Reply   
Yup I agree. And I have the ticket to prove it. In IL All vests on board need to be NCGA approved. At least that is what they said. We had enough vests for everyone on board but one was not approved so we got ticketed for not enough vests. It sucked. And though I have ridden with an approved vest, better safe than sorry.
Old     (mattprt)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-19-2005, 4:18 PM Reply   
I know Josh and I dont use it everytime I was just being a smart ass. Nobody should promote a NUSCG approved vest. Its like using a motorcycle helmet or wearing your seatbelt, you know it will save your life but its a risk you take when you dont use them. Hey at least its better than nothing
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-20-2005, 9:02 AM Reply   
If anyone is thinking of getting a nonUSCG and is used to the USCG I strongly recommend really really demoing one first.

I tried an A-10 on the water and liked it but never had any hard falls. When I finally got one and hammered myself a few times it wasn't nearly as cool. The worst was getting one foot partially out of my binding. The vest provided such little flotation that I kept having to take a breath, stick my head under water and make adjustments, then come up for another breath. There really is a difference in freedom and comfort though.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-20-2005, 9:06 AM Reply   
No doubt Josh. I have a BG Transform and the freedom is outstanding. I used it when I was just starting out, nothing more than standing on the board. The first big fall changed that and now I only throw it on when I drive a PWC but thats it. Had the same problem trying to get out of my binding after a fall.