Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old    skeprico            04-09-2005, 6:47 AM Reply   
I'm installing tower speakers and I'm a little concerned about drilling through the gel coat for the speaker wire. My main concern is that the gel coat will chip when I try to drill through. Any suggestions?
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-09-2005, 8:45 AM Reply   
run the drill in reverse, sounds stupid but it works
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-09-2005, 9:34 AM Reply   
Put masking tape on the area you will be drilling. Here is a very informative website for do it yourself projects. http://bierbower.net/diytower/home.htm
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-09-2005, 10:35 AM Reply   
And don't forget to countersink it and sand it smooth after you drill the hole!!!
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-11-2005, 8:26 AM Reply   
Mask it, mark it, and run the drill in reverse all the way through the gel coat. You'll be able to tell when you're through by the color change. Then put your drill in forward and finish the hole.
Old     (emay)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-11-2005, 9:01 AM Reply   
Sometimes that drill bit will try to slip around too, a little tap with a hole punch in the the spot you want to drill will stop that noise.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-11-2005, 10:06 AM Reply   
These are the drills to use. I have drilled probably 30+ holes in different boats and have never had a problem chipping the gel or anything. They make a super clean hole. Just take it slow going through the gel.
Old     (hoser325)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-11-2005, 10:44 PM Reply   
I wasn't too excited about having a hole in my gel coat (or in the boat for that matter), so I ran the wires through the tower tubing (obviously), then removed the nearest tower mount and drilled a tiny hole in the center of the mounting location.(w/masking tape and a sharp bit of course) Pulled the wires through, re-mounted the tower, and wa-la. No exposed holes, or wires.
Old     (nc05lsv)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-12-2005, 2:31 PM Reply   
I agree with the prior post.....makes sure you go slow and counter sink if applicable and you should have no problems. I have never had to drill in reverse but sounds logical.