Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-12-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
What happened to Exocet, Surflite and Goode Wakeboards.

All of these companies had technology that allowed for boards to be under 4 pounds. What happened to them and their technology.

I know goode is still around making waterskis, but why did they stop making wakeboards and why is no one making boards like theirs? In 1997, they made a board that was the strongest, stiffest board I have ever seen and it weighed only 3.8 lbs (I weighed it myself).

I'm just curious if anyone knows what happened to these companies.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-12-2007, 3:06 PM Reply   
Is this the same Justin Harrelson that went to Texas A&M?
Old     (young)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-12-2007, 3:16 PM Reply   
how much did they cost?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-12-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
Those boards were made using aluminum honeycomb and were glassed very thin, they used acarbon top sheet for stiffness. They were not the most durable boards in the world. The materials are incredibly expensive as well, combine the durability issues and high costs with the fact that these are waterski companies with a limited production capability probably spelled the end of their mfg boards. Plus there was a backlash from the trick skiers towards Russell Gay for making Exocet wakeboards. They were pissed for him "selling out". The technology is there, just really expensive. My uncle is a ride designer/builder for Disney & he told me of a paper based composite that was 1/2 the weight of aluminum honeycomb and with similar flex qualities, pretty cool stuff. Oh also, those boards were 14 inches wide in the middle and had a lot less material than current wider shapes, that helped the weight.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-12-2007, 3:32 PM Reply   
Also because a couple pounds is insignificant, except as a marketing gimmick.
Old     (young)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-12-2007, 3:36 PM Reply   
Tim - I beg to differ, but you are entitled to your opinion.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-12-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
Justin, I was part of Surflite back in the day. Jerry was into skysurfing and I was on the wakeboard side. He passed away doing what he loved skysurfing. Losing him his wife let the business go. Also like Big H said the materials were very expensive. Its was like 300 in materials and then took about 10 hours to make one. So there wasn't a huge profit. It allowed us to do what we love. Its kinda why I am such a whore I like to see how different boards ride. Jerry had me on a different board like once a week looking for that perfect rocker.