Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (hypo303)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-29-2005, 3:39 PM Reply   
I have a 1990 mercruiser 350 5.7 ski
Where can I find information on converting from
a mercruiser filter (35-802885T) to a fram or another after market filter?
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-29-2005, 3:43 PM Reply   
just go anywhere and ask for a small block chevy oil filter there all the same thing
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-29-2005, 3:44 PM Reply   
It should be a TG-5. (Fram "Tough Guard") This is what my 94 Merc. 5.7 uses. There is a shorter version too if you don't have room for the long one, but always use the biggest filter you have room for.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-29-2005, 3:48 PM Reply   
"there all the same"... not true.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-29-2005, 4:39 PM Reply   
There have been many filter discussions and most come to the same conclusion that fram filters are probably just about your worst choice.

You might want to look into a Wix/Dana/Napa or a Delco filter.
Old    mendo247            10-29-2005, 5:50 PM Reply   
frams are sold at kragen for a reason.. cause there cheap!
Old    waterdog2            10-29-2005, 6:46 PM Reply   
go to napa and ask for the gold series
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-29-2005, 10:29 PM Reply   
Well I don't know how many engines Mikeski and Fearless (LOL) Richard have torn down and rebuilt, but I've done more than a few in 30 years of wrenching and NEVER had a problem myself or seen any problems caused by Fram filters. I know of some isolated stories but this is going to happen with any mass produced item. Ever watch NHRA Drag Racing? Ever notice what brand filters are used most in Top Fuel? Fram.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-29-2005, 10:49 PM Reply   
There is a quality difference in oil filters, but the difference is probably more peace of mind than anything else. The basic Fram filters don't have anti-drainback valves or high strength construction of the better filters from Mobil1, Amsoil, Purolator, etc.

Somehow I don't think the filters used in NHRA top fuel cars are the same Fram paper filters you buy at the local chain store. Those filters have to withstand insane pressure changes. The Fram filters at the store will collapse or fall to pieces under those conditions. But your boat isn't an NHRA dragster running the 1/4mi in 5 seconds either.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-30-2005, 7:11 AM Reply   
I had the same mercruiser oil filter and I switched to a Napa Gold 1086 or Pennzoil PZ-3.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-30-2005, 8:15 AM Reply   
Fram Tough Guard does have an anti-drainback valve and yes they are the same filters.
Old    mendo247            10-30-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
i just prefer not to bolt a cheap filter onto my engines.. ive read a few articles and seen the cut away comparisons and performance tests and like anything else in this world you get what you pay for! maybe i havent had to rebuild an engine because i spend the xtra couple bucks and get the good stuff..
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-30-2005, 9:37 AM Reply   
You ever even changed a filter? They screw on ya know.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-30-2005, 11:49 AM Reply   
I have used fram oil filters all my life never had a problem. Every thing from street rods to boats. Me personaly I've never seen a motor that needs a rebuild because of an oil filter. Sounds more like opperator error than oil filter!! Some times it's not about having the best it's knowing how to use what you have. Hypo my 99 launch has the 350 vortech with a carb it uses the short filter wich is the Fram ph30. the longer filter would be a ph5. hope this helps you.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-30-2005, 12:45 PM Reply   
You don't need an oil filter, so Frams should work fine. After all a VW engine doesn't use a filter

Do you people know how they get longer oil life out of semi truck engines? If you said filtration you are 100% correct.

So as I understand it the only Frams to use are the HP version, but even still you can never go wrong with factory which is what I prefer. Trying to save $4.00 on a $6000 motor, in a $40,000+ boat, is rediculous.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-30-2005, 1:11 PM Reply   
WOW!! Semi vs a small block chevy or ford gas vs diesel not very fare. I had a 97 z-71 with a 175,000 miles on it and it ran strong when I sold it. Fram filters and castrol oil all it's life.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-30-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
Aaron, do you understand the difference between a full flow oil system and a bypass system? What sytem does your Chevy use?

Diesels create much more contaminants, that enter the oil much more than a gas driven engine. Propane runs so clean the only thing you will find in the oil is water. so why is this important? When we look to find the best system available we need to look to the harshest conditions...diesels. If they can get longer life out of the oil, with over 20K oil change intervals, just how do you think they are doing it? Why isn't that considered important? Not sure about the diesel "fare"; what does that have to do with anything?

Sometimes one of the simplist things you can do to add longevity to a mechanical component is to just install a magnet in or on the system.

I ran my 454 with A/C Delco filters and Castrol oil its entire life and guess what? It looked great inside the motor at 160K or so when I finally changed the valve cover gaskets. Now I change my 496 ci oil with Mobil 1 and A/C Delco filters. Why use A/C Delco? Because I am not cheap enough to risk my $43,000 truck to save less than $40 in the years that I will own it! I use Mobile 1 because the rig gets extenended oil change intervals.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-30-2005, 2:35 PM Reply   
You say why try to save $4.00 on a $6000 motor in $40,000 boat. Why try to go 20,000 miles on a motor between oil changes. I change mine every 3,000 miles or three months.Cost is not my point. The point is my fram did just as good as you're a/c delco. YOU CAN NEVER CHANGE YOU'RE OIL TO MUCH!!! This thread is getting way of the point. Hypo needed help. Does any one else have a part# for him and a filter other than my fram #s
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-30-2005, 6:03 PM Reply   
YOU CAN NEVER CHANGE YOU'RE OIL TO MUCH!!! So true. Aaron, Hypo did ask for a Fram number and we gave him that. With the Fram number, he can convert that into whatever brand automotive oil filter he wants, he couldn't do that with the Merc number. I am also a firm believer in every three thou. I change my tow rig every two thou and the boat every 25 hours and the tranny on the tow rig every third oil change. $20 and fifteen minutes means nothing to me. I am not, and will never be a proponent of extended mileage oils. Maybe it's old school thinking but I've seen the results. Frequent oil and filter changing is key to an engine lasting. That and keeping em' cool!
Old     (hypo303)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-31-2005, 4:00 AM Reply   
thanks for the info,i ended up buying the upper line Purolator ,it just seems that the mercrusier filter was cheap..
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-31-2005, 4:11 PM Reply   
Sparky Jay,

I used to pit on a blown gas flat drag boat and have torn down my fair share of motors. I am an engineer for Chevron. But in reality it's just my well informed opinion.

Use what you want in your boat, you won't see a Fram on mine.
Old    mendo247            10-31-2005, 6:54 PM Reply   
wow! this guy has too much time on his hands..he tore apart dang near every filter made.. and what was his conclusion.. the same as ever other test ive ever seen... frams are the lowest quality filters made! even the tough guards stink.. fram must pay a ton of to money all those nhra teams to use their product huh sparky..

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-31-2005, 8:16 PM Reply   
Great article Fearless (Richard), the Fram Tough Guard is on his "recommended" list.
Old    mendo247            10-31-2005, 8:23 PM Reply   
yeah barely! he states its at the bottom of the list as far as barely passing his test.. im sure the nhra guys love the cardboard end caps and cheap pressure relief valves! if someone this smart wont use it neither will i.. but youve never beeen one to listen to anyone elses opinion.. my point is proven im outttaaa here!!