Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (mrboston187)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-19-2008, 12:24 AM Reply   
but whats the key to whipping a rider all the way around the boat, haha we tried a couple times unsuccessfully, ve seen it on videos and stuff, i was just wondering what the key was. I know it has to be more the driver than the rider, or am I wrong? i dunno, i just wanna try it but i dont wanna run over my friends
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-19-2008, 7:00 AM Reply   
try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtc-TJ_kyGs
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-19-2008, 7:03 AM Reply   
check this out
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11451&PN=1
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-19-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
this ones pretty good to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMNrHxazKKE&feature=related
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-19-2008, 7:26 AM Reply   
I watched the first one. I don't think you should be trying that
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-19-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
lmao, Go big or go home. Unfortunately, if you try that, you'll definitely be heading home, or the hospital.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-19-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
I think the key is a solom boat with no weight and more speed than typical for wakeboarding. It's a common element of ski shows.
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-19-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
We did a couple this past weekend at a local ski show.

Most of the time, people do this on skis, but it is possible to do it on a wakeboard.

If the rider is regular, start out going straight at 25-28mph.

Step 1. Make a steady right turn to whip the rider on their heelside edge. This should get the rider going at her/his max possible speed. I usually give the boat some extra gas when making this first turn.

Once the rider is at max speed, cut the wheel as hard as you can to the left, let the rider pass in front of the boat, then straighten out once the rider is behind the boat again. You will have to find out what works best for your boat. Some boats will not make the turn without letting off the gas. Some boats want a more rounded left turn, as opposed to what I described above. Try it a couple of times first without the rider to see how your boat turns around the fastest and keeps the most momentum.

During this whole time there is a good chance the rope will get slack in it. The rider should try to keep as much tension on the rope as possible while trying to stay afloat as long as possible. When you first start out, you will more than likely yank the rider. Keep working at it to try to get the rope tight through the entire turn.

I should mention that this is dangerous. Be careful. Use a long line at first (75'). I have seen people shorten the rope to make it more impressive (and less slack gets in the line), but I don't do it that way.

Drain all of the weight from your boat. Use a tower or a pole. Remove boardracks or anything the rope can get caught on. Use common sense.

Another thing that helped us when we learned this was to practice whips. Have the boat turn to the right as before, but when the rider gets at max speed, let them let go of the rope and drift as far as they can before sinking. You can also drift into a triple up to make it more fun.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Kyle
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-19-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
yeah no thanks
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-19-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
It is really not that dangerous unless you use a short rope. We never get closer than 50ft to the rider. Once you get good at it, you can keep the rope tight the entire time, which means the rider is 75ft from the boat at all times.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-19-2008, 5:20 PM Reply   
we have done it with a malibu vlx on wakeskates. we also had the titan tower on the boat so it helped the roap not to catch the tower. i would say it is about 90 percent driver and 10 percent rider