Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-23-2013, 11:44 PM Reply   
I've narrowed my search down to three boats that I think can fit my family and friends. We have 5 total in my family with wife and three kids 6mos, 3, and 6. We would normally have friends or other family with us with an average of 9 people. My budget was 30k but when i started looking most boats I found were ridden pretty hard and put away. Also, i noticed a lot of boats cannot put out a clean wake at 16-18 for kids and 19-20 for my wife. I ride at 23-25 so not too many issues for me. We also wakesurf so we want a nice wake for that. Wiith having a baby I want a boat that will ride smooth and handle rougher water, a deep freeboard is important too.

The three boats are:

2006 Tige 24 ve - tons of space and storage, great gas efficiency, TAPS, I like the walk through for the kids, from what i've read it rides and handles amazing for a 24ft boat. Downside is it does not have ballast but I'd probably just add sacs and pumps anyways, this is also the most expensive at $34k wtih 112 hours.

2005 Calabria Pro-V - I have not read anything negative but the sub floor ballast would be nice, I also hear they are huge inside and the fit and finish to great. Not sure of the hours yet but at $27k it's a lot cheaper than the Tige.

2004 MB B52 V23 - I hear the stock ballast is junk so I'd most likely be replacing pumps anyways. I've not ridden behind a V23 but I did a V21 and it took A LOT of weight and higher speeds to get it to clean up. The surf wake was nice but anything less than 23 MPH was all white wash. I hear the V23's are much nicer but i'm worried about the wake.

Is the Tige worth the extra money? and does anyone know how the wake is for kids?
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-24-2013, 1:18 AM Reply   
I would say keep looking. You don't appear to be thrilled about any of these boats. nor do I believe you have done proper research if you don't even know the hours on one of the boats you are considering. Just my opinion
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-24-2013, 4:17 AM Reply   
The Tigé is reasonable priced for the year and hours.The tigé wake won't be clean on both sides at 16-18,it will have a little wash.At 19-20 it will clean up on one side LFF riders HS.You have to go at least 20.5 to get a clean wake on that size deep v boat.The Tigé wake is adjustable with the Taps 2 on setting #1 it will be a mellow wake with a long ramp.Don't know your budget,but a 2006 with only 112 hours is not easy to find.Most wakeboat owners will put that or nearly that many hours on their boat in a year.Good Luck!
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-24-2013, 5:49 AM Reply   
From the sounds of it the 24Ve will perfectly fit your needs except the clean wake at slower speeds. Thats tough period. Most boats just won't. There are a few that will but they aren't on your list. When you are looking at these big boats they need some speed.

I too started with that 30K budget. I showed my wife enough of those trashed boats and she eventually made the decision we should buy new. We are very happy with our decision. Its amazing to me what these boats cost new, and how they end up trashed only a few years old.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       02-25-2013, 10:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
I too started with that 30K budget. I showed my wife enough of those trashed boats and she eventually made the decision we should buy new. We are very happy with our decision. Its amazing to me what these boats cost new, and how they end up trashed only a few years old.
Man I screwed up! I should have only shown my wife pics of trashed out boats when we were shopping. Coulda got a new one!
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-24-2013, 6:23 AM Reply   
The only boat I found in the 23+ range that has a good wake at slow speeds is a 03-05 MC X-30 but my wife does not like them for some reason. The sanger 2155 was good as well but I was not impressed with the quality. After looking at multiple boats I already know I dont want a centurion, sanger or supreme because I dont feel they are the same quality as others. I showed my wife a nautique 211 and 226 but they were too narrow and she did not like the layout of the cockpit. The malibu lsv is of course amazing but those used are at least another $10k+. We found one malibu but it looked like the guy got a wrecked one nd half ass fixed it.... red flags went ip on that one and at 30k im a believer any deal too good to be true is just that. We also found an 08 tige rz4 with 280 hrs for 38k but the boat was used for partying so the tower was snapped, holes in the fiberglass near the rub rail, interior was destroued and they used the wrong interior cushions on the backing... yeah it was dirt cheap for what it was but spending a couple extra thousand in repairs not knowing what else may go wrong was alarming. One of my biggest fears is buyinga boat and having to put another motor in it, not sure why sooo many used boats have replaced motors with low hours that people are desperate to dump. I see tons of supremes being sold with new motors.

Maybe ill just stick with the tige due to the hours and condition. Pkus I never really see tiges with major issues besides interiors. Pretty much all the boats ive looked at had stress cracks, gouges in the hull, ripped interior, all but the tige. Its crazy growing up aroind boats my famikies never looked like that, I guess some people dont care enough to take care of what they have.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       02-24-2013, 7:44 AM Reply   
I've owned an 06 Tige and now have a 07 Calabria Team V.

The tige is a massive boat. If it has the 340hp Marine Power your only choice for speed control is the tige speed set. Perfect pass doesn't work with that motor. Fit and finish was really good and they handle well in chop. The deep freeboard adds to the safety peace of mind for the kids. Absolutely love my 06 20i and only sold it to get something bigger. Also like the reversible rear corner cushions that keep people from stepping on the vinyl. I know people say if you can't afford the has you shouldn't own a boat but.......it's huge, heavy...and if you add ballast it's going go through a lot of gas. If your putting it in your garage don't only worry about the length..make sure it'll get throughout the door because it's tall too.

I sold the tige and got the 07 Team V. Best of both worlds if you ask me. 21 ft boat that seats the same as a 23 footer. The only things about the 05 that don't care for is the fixed wake plate and boss tower (unless it has the newer cal air tower) The pure vert ballast system is awesome....not to mention the forward mounted 65 gallon tank that acts as forward ballast and reduces bow rise. The storage in the rear compartments is massive and continues forward under the rear seat without obstruction.

Can't comment on the MB other than I don't care for the interior.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-24-2013, 8:14 AM Reply   
I was about 6hrs shy from buying a team v in folsom a couple weeks ago, beautiful boat decked out but I couldnt get off in time from work to make it. Im glad to hear you really like it.

Ive read from boat tests that the 24 ve only burns around 4-5gph and ragboy from wake9 was saying he buns about 4.7 with ballast and family. The x-30 I drove I noticed how fast that gas gauge was moving and it had a BIG tank.

My personal favorite wake to ride is a supra 21v but once again my wife its too small. A 24ssv would be amazing but thats a lot more $$
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       02-24-2013, 8:27 AM Reply   
Was it the yellow one with black tribal flames? if so that's the one that I bought.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-24-2013, 10:58 AM Reply   
YUP thats the one! You got a good deal on that boat as long as it was in good condition. I was next in line if you decided yiu didnt want it.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-24-2013, 11:23 AM Reply   
(I only have experience with the MB hull in which you are asking about)
-Do you have a link to the MB? I have a 06 Team, (same hull). Very happy with the WB wake, but we surf 100% now...and with a little extra weight I am very pleased. Head over to MB owners and there is a ton of info on the MB WB wake and the surf wake, somepeteguy on MB owners had a similar hull and had a great surf wave (with ballast)
-When I was on a similar quest a few years ago I couldnt find anything with the same features, shower, heater, PCM motor, and have a great stock surf wake and WB wake other than a MB for the price range.
-The hull you are looking at is a great one. As for appearance, is it the tribal flames?

Last edited by WakeDirt; 02-24-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-24-2013, 11:33 AM Reply   
Here is a pic of 100% stock surf wake, 1K port. Only driver 180lb, observer 130lbs, and a ratty McNab 35lbs.
This was when I was trying 0 bow weight.
Attached Images

Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-24-2013, 7:57 PM Reply   
I just realized the MB is actually a 21ft B52 V3, not a 23ft.... so that boat is out of the question. That pic of your wake looks phenomenal.

I think I'm going to stick with the Tige since it's the largest of the bunch and has the walk through, transom activity center, lowest hours, and i've already looked at it and it's in Excellent condition compared to the other boats i've seen.

Now I need to find some new board racks and order some 1100 lb sacs.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       02-24-2013, 11:09 AM Reply   
The interior just needed a good cleaning along with a set of tires for the trailer. Other than that it's in fantastic condition. Unfortunately I may be selling It already. Five days after I got it home I was unexpectedly offered/ requested to apply for new job up in Portland. I should know in the next few weeks if it's a done deal. If so it will be back up for sale.

I'll be buying a second house and need the $$$. Terrible timing but can't pass up the new position if it works out.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-25-2013, 10:50 AM Reply   
Right on!! I'm not stupid all the time!!!

Goride I think for your situation the 24V will treat you well. There is a trade off for that size and rough water ride and its low speed wake. But like Thrall said, kids don't care if the wakes clean. By the time they start caring they will be riding faster. We as dad's want to have a clean wake for them more than they want a clean wake.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-25-2013, 8:35 PM Reply   
I'm sold on the Tige.

Now I need to figure out what ballast bags to order, im thinking of two 1,100lb jumbo sacs and two seperate bags for the front. I'll use a tsnaumi pump for now until i get some more funds to plumb the boat. I found some custom sacs that hold 1200 and 1300 lbs but my wife does not want to loose all storage under the seats so I think that idea is out.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-26-2013, 4:00 AM Reply   
Don't worry you'll figure everything out. Just remember if Momma's not happy,who's going to pull you?LOL I learned that the hard way.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-26-2013, 10:43 AM Reply   
Goride head over to tigeowners. Lots of good advice on that boat and what you will need for sacks.