Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (quick)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-31-2009, 6:09 PM Reply   
I am looking at getting a new board this coming month. I am unable to demo the Company boards and was wonder what your thoughts were on the two? I am 6'0 and 185 pounds. I currently ride the 08 Ronix Covin 138 and love the board but I am ready to try out a flex board. I was looking at the 138 Severance or 139 recruit. Any inside info, reviews, etc. would be helpful. I just don't want to make the wrong decision on such an expensive board.

Thanks,

Quick
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-31-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
If you are wanting flex, then severance. I'm not sure I would consider the recruit a flex board. I had a chance to demo the severance and loved it. I'm currently on the Ibex but looking to get the severance as soon as I can. Have not rode the recruit, but was told it doesn't have the flex of the severance. Maybe someone else can chime in on the recruit.
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-31-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
I demoed both boards and really like the Recruit. The Severance was a little too loose for me. The Recruit has three fins nose and tail, the Severance only has two. Take a look at the Company website and check out what the pros are riding. Most are riding the Recruit.

The Recruit is super fun to carve on and do surface tricks. It has great pop off of the wake, soft landings, and is really light in the air making it easy to spin on. The Recruit is my next board.

I met Randall Harris and another owner at Brostock this year and they are very serious about the product. They spoke with me for close to 30 minutes about the technology and direction of Company and that alone convinced me to try the boards. I'm glad I did. They also threw down some killer flex fit hats and stickers for my family. No other wake companies were promoting their product like they were. They have my business. Now they just need to make a junior board for my son who cannot take that Company hat off of his head.
Old     (cshell)      Join Date: May 2009       07-31-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
My buddy use to ride the Ronix One and ended up getting a Company 38 Severance, and loves it and has been riding so much better. I would say go for the 42 Severance cause your a little bit taller. You won't regret it.
Old     (quick)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-31-2009, 11:46 PM Reply   
Is a 142 too big for me? I rode a 140 shane and it seemed like a boat compared to my covin. I would contemplate the 42 but I HATE HATE HATE the color yellow. I am not sure why, but it makes me sick. Not to be a person who has to have something that looks cool, but if something is so ugly that I can't bear to look at it, I won't buy it. Like a car or home. Does anyone know when the 2010 product will come out. Does the recruit flex a lot? I love the feeling of the roam. I can get good pop with it and don't really mind how loose it rides. If I can get something that is a mixture of my covin and the roam that would be perfect.
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-01-2009, 12:01 AM Reply   
CQ,

I think the best one of our boards for you would have to be the Recruit 139. Coming from a Covin which is a continuous rocker the recruit will be the fastest transition for you. Advantages of the recruit are: Very fast due to the continuous rocker. Lands very soft due to the rocker line. But the best part about the recruit is, when you learn how to load the tail properly it pops as hard as a 3 stage board without loosing the advantages of a continuous rocker. You could also go with the 143. Due to the very thin tip and tail the board will not feel like a tank in the air. They have very little if any swing weight. Hope this helps. Thank you for your support in Company.
Old     (quick)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-01-2009, 12:16 AM Reply   
Bizz,

Thanks for the info. Do you think that the 139 or 143 would be a better option? Would it be a noticeable difference from my 138? How would the board ride if I eliminated the center fin?

Thanks!
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-01-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
CQ,

The size difference is a personal preference. If you are currently use to riding a 138 I think the 139 would be perfect. I prefer to ride a bigger board because I like the way they pop and the way that they land.

As far as riding the recruit without the center fin, it rides great. Eddie Valdez and myself ride our recruits without the center fin. It gives it more of a snowboard style feel. Where as Gregg Necrason and Randall Harris ride the recruit with all three fins cause the like a more locked in feel. Either way the board is extremely fun. Enjoy.
Old     (quick)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-01-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
I am sold! Thanks!
Old     (quick)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-10-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
I got my recruit 139 today! Yay! It appears to be very quality construction and I am stoked to ride it......

BUT...

..it did NOT come with any fins??????

I called Wakeside, which is who i ordered it from, and they did not know when they would be able to get me any. They said they forgot and that they did not have anymore. They said they would be in touch.....

I kept asking for a time frame to expect them and they kept saying it could be a few weeks....really??

ummm...wtf? I don't know if I can ride this board without any fins at all...

Stoked but annoyed!!!
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-10-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
yea i havent heard a lot of good things from wakeside. what kind of a company ships a board without fins i mean come on. They ran out i dont buy that bs. When they got the board from company i am sure it had fins so what happened to the ones it came with.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-10-2009, 10:53 AM Reply   
Sounds like somebody robbed Peter to pay Paul. I, like Jeremy, would think the fins came with the board from Company.

I can say that I have nothing but good dealings with Wakeside.com in the past though.
Old     (jambor07)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-10-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
Send an email to info@companywake.com and I'm sure they'll get you some fins ASAP.
Old     (quick)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-10-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
I just sent Company an e-mail. I still have no call back from Wakeside with an update on what the deal is.

It really is not Company's problem, as I am sure they intended the board to have fins when it was shipped to me, but Wakeside is dropping the ball here. "We don't know" is not an acceptable answer.
Old     (quick)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-10-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
Company responded right away and my fins are on the way! AWESOME customer service!!!! Just so everyone else knows.....they DO come with fins!