Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-12-2008, 5:43 PM Reply   
http://www.humanoidwake.com/artlab/

There are some graphic ideas posted up and Voting is open now. The site is still welcoming more designs. i know there are some of you with great talent, remembering other contests (ronix's for example) and past WW posts. Some of you may not know about it so here I am letting you know ;)

i submitted a couple designs myself, but already i am feeling Mighty humbled from the other designs (as few as there are from the first day or so) i see.

http://www.humanoidwake.com/artlab/
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-12-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
Looks pretty neat! I'm excited to see a board company built upon the idea of creativity. Can't wait to see some product...
Old     (mikegh)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-01-2008, 7:42 PM Reply   
I'm new to Illustrator... How can I get their templates to work like normal paths? For instance, if you try to select one of the board outlines, you get everything, including an invisible square around both outlines. I would not even be able to fill one of the shapes with a solid color.

Any help is appreciated.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-01-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
I dont have nearly the artistic skill to attempt that, but Jeremy, I really like your 8 ball design (5 stars). Great concept too.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-01-2008, 9:24 PM Reply   
Michael,

It has been years since i used illustrator so i am new too. In the end i just let things overhang outside the outline. For the submission one i copied and pasted a shrunken version of the illustrator design into paint. i opened another paint program and opened the file for the template. I painted all around the template a random color (making the board a window basically) and then in turn copied and pasted that on top of the design i had pasted earlier in the other paint page. then i repainted the random colors around the outside of the board back to white and thus deleted all of the design that went outside the boarders. ;)

hopefully that makes sense

Ben, Thanx
The bottom design is a modified oracle bone with ancient Chinese oracle script. The emblems spelling out "HUMANOID" are also genuine ancient characters that i chose because of their resemblance to the english letters (Cauldron, Basket, Rain, Fish, Knife, Sun, Person, Moon). Then for the top i chose a more unlikely candidate for an "oracle" or future-telling-tool the 8 ball with a dice spilled out of it showing the Humanoid logo. There is actually a lot of symbolism in that design in relation to the name of the board that could be summed up to "the oracle/future is Humanoid". I am pretty sure it is the only design that has to do with the name of the board... not that it is required, i just wanted too, and my knowledge and love for Chinese led the way.

My design of random robots being demolished against a brick wall by a catapult is doing better in the votes though ;)... But at the same time i don't understand why some of the designs are voted as low as they are. There are some really good ones that barely have 3 stars or less. I really like the one with the face on it and the colors radiating out of it (3rd to the last)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-01-2008, 9:26 PM Reply   
still have about 2 week to make a submission (or more) everyone!
Old     (mikegh)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-02-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeremy! I really appreciate it.

-Mike