Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    rocktonic13            06-24-2004, 4:07 PM Reply   
been thinking about doing something like a semi-auto ballast system like a few of you have, but i honestly dont really want to take water from the engine water intake, and i deffently dont want to drill new holes into the boat... basicly i was wondering if i mounted the pump in a stury place, that if i could use a tube(maybe vacum tube) and throw it over to fill/drain, just like regular fatsac pumps... then i wouldnt have to mess with the intake, but i would have access to filling like 3 or 4 sacs from one switch and just throwing a tube over... what do you guys think...
Old    jeefy            06-24-2004, 4:12 PM Reply   
MIGHT work... Not sure if the pump will be able to pull the water in and over the side of the boat. Heck's its worth a try at least, if it doesn't work then you still have other options like teeing into the intake or hull-thru. Not sure why you have a problem with the intake though... Its been working well for many us of with no issues.

-Jeff
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-24-2004, 4:35 PM Reply   
Drilling the hole in the boat was no big deal.

Just keep the following in mind:
1. When you put the thruhull fitting in, put it in a place that will not interfere with trailer, perfect pass or another intake.

2. Measure 5 times with reference to another thruhull fitting so you hit the right spot.

3. Make sure you have clearance inside the boat for your thruhull fitting, and the sea-cock valve.

4. Mask it off both inside and out. Drill a small pilot hole. If you're off a bit you can recover.

5. Using a hole saw, go for it.

6. Coat the inside edge of the hole with marine adhesive / sealant. I used 3M 4000.

7. Coat the edge of the fitting all the way around with the sealant too. Get a nice snug fit and tighten it down.

From there you're golden.
Old    nautiqueboarder            06-24-2004, 4:40 PM Reply   
I was thinking of coming up with a way to use the drainplug with a threaded tube of some sort. Needs some research to work but atleast your not drilling holes in your boat!! YIKES! No matter what, you cant throw over a tube while you are moving in your boat, it wont stay in the water. Just like a fat sac.

Also, I dont see an issue with using the water intake, I guess you still have to go idle speed though if I remember correctly. I just went and bought a bigger pump. Takes like barely 5 minutes to do each 650lb fat sac.
Old    rocktonic13            06-24-2004, 4:44 PM Reply   
i dont want to drill a hole in the hull, period, dont want to do it, dont want to void any warrenties or anything... other thing with the intake, 1. i dont know if that will void any engine warentty and 2. in my v-drive its almost impossible to get to. i mean i would prefer not to even mess with anything if throwing a tube over would work, i could careless about waiting time in idle... i guess what i would really need to do the intake way is someone who really knows what they are doing, because i honestly dont trust myself enough to just cut into the intake tube(not to mention my parrents flipping when they see me towing the boat to the dealership after i messed up the intake... if tube over the side would work, thats the way i would like to go...
Old    steveb7            06-25-2004, 8:28 AM Reply   
you could use the T handle plug already in your boat. Replace it with a 1" to hose barb and use that for your intake
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-25-2004, 8:35 AM Reply   
I first tapped off the raw water intake. There was two problems with that:

1. The bags filled very slowly and you have to do it at idle.
2. The engine temperature got too hot and I didn't like my motor temp approaching 200 when I normally run about 150.

I would contact your dealer and see if they will put the scoop on for you while still preserving your hull warranty if you're that worried about it. In the end, going with a thru-hull is the right way to do it.
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-25-2004, 8:52 AM Reply   
Use the drain plug in the bilge if you have one. That is what I did and it worked perfectly so far.

Daniel
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-25-2004, 9:04 AM Reply   
Just have your dealer install the thru hull fittings if you can't do it. It should not void anything if done correctly. A new SAN has over 14 Thru-hull fittings!
Old    matt_karl            06-25-2004, 10:44 AM Reply   
Andrew, Your idea will work just fine, that is what I did in my boat. Using 1" pvc pipe I plumbed in 2 large sacks in the back locker area of my boat. I also mounted the pump back by the motor. Depending on what type of a pump you get it should be reversable by polarity of the switch. I used a switch that has two directions, one for fill and one way for empty. It does work very well, all you have to do is throw the hose over the side, open valve and flip switch. Make sure to use a hose that will not colapse under preasure.
Old    yellowdog            06-25-2004, 12:43 PM Reply   
Andrew,

I T'd into my raw water intake using a Jabsco Ballast Puppy and on several occations have filled and drained the entire system while running at 25-30 mph. . . The temp gauge doesn't move at all. I am right there with you on the through hull fitting. No matter what anyone says, I am just too much of a wimp. However, with the raw water intake, if you screw something up with the hose the worst case cenario is you have to put on a new raw water intake hose. I assure you as I'm sure Jeff and Tom will also, it is more then worth it to not have to mess with the hose over the gunnel!

Good luck
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-25-2004, 1:39 PM Reply   
If you decide to try to use your drain plug, which I think would be difficult since it's probably a 1/2 inch fitting, I would recommend putting a bronze valve there in the event the rubber hose bursts or comes loose. You don't want to be in a position where water is coming in and you have no way to stop it.