Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-19-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
Has anyone had any problems this year. Last weekend, several of my friends cruised into hidden cove (the cove directly across from hula hut) with their stereo on and the cops were hassling everyone about the volume - as in, turn it all the way down so it can't be heard outside the boat. Apparently this is going to be a big deal this summer and they are really prepared to limit the noise/partying in the cove.

It seems like the do this every year - but do you think the cops will move on once the summer picks up? They can only be at so many places.

recession ---> enforcement - but I can see this negatively impacting lake austin. less dollars spent on ours lake all b/c a few home owner(s) is/are upset they bought a house on the only party cove on lake austin and then bitch about the same activity that's been going on for years before they got there. don't move somewhere and expect the neighborhood to change for you.

Thoughts?

Last edited by factorykitted; 05-19-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-19-2010, 11:39 AM Reply   
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-19-2010, 11:40 AM Reply   
I have been curious about it too. From what I have heard it is mainly the hidden cove. Home owners were complaining about all the noise. I think everyone should hit the 360 cove. But I have not heard about anyone having issues while riding.

You get your boat done?

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-19-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
why cant i send a PM on here??? i click "send a private message" but it doesnt work...
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-19-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
the rumor i heard is that one of the top Keller William's partners purchased the little grassy peninsula that is across from the cliffs. apparently they spearhead a movement to either a) rewrite the ordinance more strict or b) enforce the current ordinance more strictly. as it stands, i think the current ordinance is a 100 foot rule.

so will they move on? dunno. if some big wigs are tossing their weight around, the party will probably relocate back to the 360 cove.

how enforceable is it? dunno. i am quite sure i can hear just about any boat engine over 100 feet away, especially while under way. if they are enforcing it just while sitting they can probably get away with it. i am not sure how they can legally discriminate about noise type while underway.

i believe that the home/land owners have a reasonable expectation of peace and quiet as long as they were there before noise started happening. as such, KW is buying that land knowing that people make noise in that cove, and are expecting to change it...it should be "grand fathered", especially since it is public water... there was a law suit that happened in Devils Cove a few years back where a real estate agent was sued for not disclosing the nature of Devils Cove to his client before they bought land on said cove...
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-19-2010, 11:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
there was a law suit that happened in Devils Cove a few years back where a real estate agent was sued for not disclosing the nature of Devils Cove to his client before they bought land on said cove...

Seems hard not to know the nature of that place, and even more so not to fully disclose it. Regardless that sounds like a not so pleasant come to Jebus....
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-19-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
brian...are you using FireFox? I have to use Explorer to do all PM'ing. for some reason FF wont allow it...
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-19-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
I am using FF - i will try E
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-19-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
worm - i have heard the same about KW but wasnt aware it was the grassy area across from the cliffs - you sure about this? I believe another home owner is raising hell as well - the one under remodel in the back of party cove.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-19-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
B--- all hearsay at this point...friend of a friend kind of knowledge. i can understand the homeowners points of view...especially if they are not new. and then there is our point of view...my system boat is likely not as bumping as yours, but i do have about 3000wats at my disposal just in case hahaha.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-19-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
so that makes 8000 watts at our disposal - but i can also understand the home owners point of view

Last edited by factorykitted; 05-19-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-19-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
well, my 3k should be growing to around 5k by the 4th of July (re-construction starts after Memorial day!), so maybe they will understand, hahaha....
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-19-2010, 2:15 PM Reply   
It was only a matter of time. Not everyone enjoys lil' wayne on the weekends when they are out with kids on the boat. I sure don't. The main problem is that some owners have teenage to twenty something kids (or the owners themselves) that don't respect others on the lake, hence regulations like noise ordinances. Lakefront property brings a premium, and most people buying that premium sure don't want to hear the music and parties. Eventually they will get the police to enforce or have an ordinance created.

I can't tell you the number of times I've had to hear vulgar, lude, or offensive music while out on my boat in very inappropriate settings. Same goes for car stereos, harley exhaust, etc, etc. I usually just leave if I have my kids with me. Otherwise I look at the candy and drink beer.

Last edited by olskooltige; 05-19-2010 at 2:22 PM.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-19-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
Who brings their kids into a party cove and expects not to see/hear this kind of stuff though?
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-19-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
just playing a little devils advocate, but where are the noise ordinances for ACL, SxSW, and every other venue that is allowed to play [any] music in an outdoor arena? if you tie it back to the city makes money off of it, i will guarantee you that the city makes money off of LT and LA also.

anywhoo, i agree on one thing, loud exhaust is the most annoying sound of all (on boats included). it is beyond me why you would intentionally make your exhaust louder just so you can annoy yourself more when driving...if it was really that great, then wouldnt you turn on an audio file on your home stereo of some really loud exhaust just so you could fool people in to thinking your receiver has a lot of horsepower?
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-19-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
they likely have a permit
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       05-19-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
Yeah I am guessing those music events have permits that exclude them from the noise ordinance laws.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-19-2010, 9:07 PM Reply   
My thoughts having moved to a private lake and not knowing jack about Lake Austin.

I have a decent stereo. One of the few wakeboarding boats on the lake. I love riding to rap and 80% of my tunes are just that. However you can bet my stereo is G rated 100% of the time I am rolling on the private lake atmosphere with it loud enough for the rider behind the boat. I don't tune it up till 11ish in the morning............. if I am out earlier the towers are off. You can bet if I hear some guy blasting a bunch of in approprite tunes I will say something. It's a private lake community. Have some damn respect to the people who live on it.

On the other hand huge public lakes............... no houses.....party cove..... different story. Party cove is like the designated spot to pretty much let loose in my opinion. It kind of like going to a bar/concert/ venue. I just don't see how a legit party cove is in an area with houses. Houses came later? Is LA a smaller type lake?

Imo there is a fine line on what is just too much if. After seeing some of the stereos here on WW where do you really draw the line? Most states have laws on a cars for a noise disturbances. I can only bet that more of these types of things will be going on lakes nationwide........ simply due to the fact of those few who ruin it for everyone acting like jackasses with no respect or concern for others.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-20-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
LA is a 20.6 length of the [Lower] Colorado River that is controlled by dams. Probably varies between 200-500 yards in width. It is a public "lake" that runs just to the outskirts of downtown and is bordered by our "mini" mountains for its entire length. As such, it is a HIGHLY valuable area for very wealthy people to call home because of 1) location, 2) views, and 3) its constant level year round. Notables that own homes and land on LA include Michael Dell and several other Dellionaires, Sandra Bullock, and Jean Paul DeJoria (of Paul Mitchell and Patron tequilas fame). Properties approach $15 million.

And therein lies the rub. The amount of $$$ and influence (especially from those that pay $50k plus alone in property taxes) from those types is hard (impossible) to battle against.

I live close enough to the waterfront to know how annoying we can (boats and stereos) can be when trying to relax. That being said, I think there should be a middle ground, which this ordinance lies on the opposite side of. In my opinion, the ordinance should look like this:

1) Party Coves should have a time window for noise...1200 - 1900 sounds reasonable to me (and I would also consider them open to noise only Friday - Sunday and holidays)
2) Any music that is labeled with parental advisory should not be projected
3) While under way volume is fair game...my engine noise travels farther than my stereo does (parental advisory rule remains intact)

Access to the lake comes at a cost from a tax and a launch perspective, and I am sure that those whom were not landowners were severely underrepresented when the architecture of this ordinance debated.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-20-2010, 7:25 AM Reply   
xstarrider - i agree with everything you mentioned

LA is a smaller lake - more of a dammed river instead. I wouldn't say houses came later - lets call it neighbors who came later. I have a friend who sold his house and now the current owners are making it a point to shut down the party. I dont necessarily blame the NEW home owner for doing what he is doing but all im saying is i would never buy a house on Devils Cove, Lake Havasu or any party cove and try to change things that have been going on there for years.

This cove is really only 1 of 2 spots to stop and tie up to have a good time. My fear is that these spots will be policed where people will just throw in the towel. I think the real show down will Memorial day - there will be a lot of pissed off A-holes when they get the thumbs down from the lake patrol. I mean, how is the lake patrol honestly going to tell 50-100 boats to turn off the tunes - I dont see it happening unless they sit in the cove the entire day. Tear gas?? At that point you think they would have more important things to take care of like drunk wallys, holiday boaters and making sure everyone is safe on the main body of water.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-20-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
my suspicion is that they will have a couple extra cops on PWCs on Mem day. much easier to police the lines w/ a PWC than w/ one of their center console boats...

at any rate, they wont be telling you that you cant have a good time, they will be telling you that you can have a good time, just not at 150 db....
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-20-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
^ true and true
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-20-2010, 8:22 AM Reply   
the home being remodeled has a full time police man on the dock. he was there all day yesterday - i caught him sleeping
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-20-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
Looks like we need to just hang on derty this summer boys
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-20-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
lady bird lake it is - make sure you bring your oars and trolling motors
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-20-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
no you didnt shay....
Old     (tigepigeon)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-20-2010, 5:33 PM Reply   
Yeah, we used to own that blue house. The guy knocked on our door and gave us a no brainier offer. Unfortunately, he said he is going to stop the noise pollution. I am really going to miss girls asking where I am from, and answering by pointing to where I sleep. wow….I love Austin…alot
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-20-2010, 7:20 PM Reply   
Ben - is it true Gary Keller bought the old house? Your Charlie's son i take it...?
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-21-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
I'm pretty much done with Lake Austin on the weekends anyway. All the new developements with vertical retaining walls are killing the lake. 2 boat pass by and the water is crap for the next 15 minutes.
Anyway, I've been out there and had people standing on their docks yelling at me to turn my stereo down. This one particular incident, I didn't even have it up loud but I was sitting filling up ballast. I turned it down then told the lady that they shouldn't live on the lake if they didn't like music.
I'm not shocked that this is becomming an issue, especially with APD policing the water now. There's too much money on that lake, espcially in that particular area, and some of those people think they own the world. I can understand the complaints because some of these stereo systems are insane and some people like to play their crappy music WFO just to show off. It's really a no win situation for all paries involved. It kills your day to be harrassed by cops and have to play your music so low that you can't hear it, but the people that own the homes want peace and quiet too. Oh well, it is what it is. I haven't even put a system in my new boat yet because I'm trying to figure out a balance. I want it loud enough for us to enjoy, but not where it's obnoxious. I don't think I'll have tower speakers on this one. I really didn't care for them on my last boat and found that it was just too loud inside the boat to enjoy it if the rider really wanted to hear it.

See you on the Perd, I'll be out there Sunday.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-21-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
I see and live on both sides of these issues. I own lakefront and ride in boats with the 3000 watt stereos and pretty much side with the landowners. I mean the landowners pretty much leave the boaters go by in peace, but the boats that go by with the high dollar stereos pretty force the landowners and other boats to listen to their music whether they like it or not. Yes when I was younger I thought it was cool to freely share my musical tastes with all around but eventually got over myself. It is straight up unadulterated selfishness to crank a stereo when you know someone else dosn't care for it and there is no ethical justification for it.

For me personally, it doesn't bother me to hear the tunes on the weekends from the boats as long as they are at reasonable hours and keep it somewhat clean, but know it doesn't work with some of my neighbors and yes it is kind of cool riding and hearing tunes, but out of respect for them do not crank the stereo.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-21-2010, 9:39 AM Reply   
i guess i'll be ordering my 2011 stereo delete
Old     (tigepigeon)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-22-2010, 10:55 AM Reply   
Haha yeah the transom of my boat now says 'Gary Keller is not a cock guider. '
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-23-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
group buy on these? i kid i kid...
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       05-23-2010, 5:52 PM Reply   
I talked to the police today and got the actual run down:

While boating/under way, they cant do anything to you....the noise ordinance does not apply

While parked (like in a cove), audible over 100ft is too loud. I asked them specificially how much the tickets were when they are issued, and both police officers told me no one has written one, and that the fine is determined by the judge.

The reason I dont have much of an issue with this law, is because of the fact that when i'm tied up, it's with several other boats. They can tell us to turn it town I guess, but they dont really know "for sure" who's boat it's coming from. I also was told that the first time you get "caught" it will be a verbal warning... second time or if they return they will issue the citation.

Hope this helps.
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       05-23-2010, 5:53 PM Reply   
PS - i was firing off my system today (4 pro485's) and had no issues, as I was passed by 2-3 lake patrol while underway.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-24-2010, 6:28 AM Reply   
I got to thinking that half the time we are in the cove there are only a handful of stereos that are really rocking at one time. Most of the time, the noise is people that are talking louder just to be hear and be heard over other people. Think about how much noise a a crowd of people just talking makes...then enclose it in a small party cove, like the one by hula hut, and it creates an echo chamber, which only causes people to talk louder. Really, just voices makes a stadium or a basketball arena deafening, w/o even being amplified. Telling people to turn the volume down on the stereo really isnt going to make it that much quieter when you have a 1000 people all shouting at the top of their lungs...

I say we fight fire w/ fire. everyone needs to download crowd noise mp3's on their Ipods and play that at full volume hahaha...the po po wouldnt know who to cite!
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       05-24-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
PS - I'm all about moving the party to bull creek cove, but that's just me... more room, less houses
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-24-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
We were out there for a little while Sunday and there was music playing. It wasn't crazy loud. but easy to hear throughout the cove and the Po-Pos didn't say anything to them. Funny thing is, people on my boat were complaining about the loud music the other boats were playing. It wasn't because it was loud, but because it was crap music. It's one thing to be loud, it's another thing to be blasting garbage that everyone hates. Sorry, but really, who the hell actually listens to techno?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-24-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
That's the whole effing point! Other peoples' music sucks, and you shouldn't be forced to listen to it. I could've been out there blasting George Jones!
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-24-2010, 8:47 AM Reply   
I've never blasted crap music and I definatly have never audiolly assaulted someone to get the out the the channel
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-24-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
i am not sure what you guys are talking about. everyone loves the blue grass that i play...
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-24-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
what do you consider 'techno'? what you heard likely wasn't even what you so call 'techno'.

good to know about the cops were relaxed about this past weekend. know lets see what happens this weekend...?

Last edited by factorykitted; 05-24-2010 at 9:16 AM.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-24-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by factorykitted View Post
what do you consider 'techno'? what you heard likely wasn't even what you so call 'techno'.

good to know about the cops were relaxed about this past weekend. know lets see what happens this weekend...?
I actually refer to it as microsoft music. A generic beat that was made on a computer with lyrics from some horrid pop song dubbed over it.
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       05-24-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
+1 brian
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-24-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
IMO, like anything else it only takes a few to ruin it for everyone. I don't live on LA, but I can see this becoming much more commonplace due to some inconsiderate 'audiophiles' on the lakes nowadays.

Perfect example: I was out on our dock this past weekend (a busy Saturday) and couldn't help but think about these types of ordinances. A wakeboat clear across the lake had no rider in tow but his tower speakers were cranked. At over 1300 yards (I google-mapped it) I could hear every single word. That's roughly 3/4 of a mile. Granted, he was blasting Buffet and not something R-rated, but I can seriously understand the issue people have if broadcasting at those volumes. Then the other 1/2 of me wanted to know what brand.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-24-2010, 4:16 PM Reply   
hmm microsoft music?? maybe appleton or traktor. what you described is not techno.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-25-2010, 6:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by factorykitted View Post
hmm microsoft music?? maybe appleton or traktor. what you described is not techno.
Who cares, it still sucks. It takes no musical talent at all to make that garbage.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-25-2010, 7:25 AM Reply   
So what kind of music do you approve of? I certainly wouldn't want to broadcast something that you don't want to listen to.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-25-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trace View Post
So what kind of music do you approve of? I certainly wouldn't want to broadcast something that you don't want to listen to.
When did i say anything about approval? I was merely stating the facts. That's like saying you have competiiton slalom boat when in fact you have go fast Baja of some sort. I never approved or disapproved of this so called techno. I appreciate all genres of music - just not all artists.

Since your so concerned about whats broadcasted- i guess Austin should shut down ACL, SXSW and various of live music events that dumps millions of $'s into our city annually.

Lets get back on topic now.

Last edited by factorykitted; 05-25-2010 at 8:57 AM.
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       05-25-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
Who cares guys. Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one... Play what you like, it's your boat. If you dont like what someone else is playing, put in your ear plugs, or move your party. I'll never understand why people are so uppity over music.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-25-2010, 8:20 AM Reply   
My post was tongue-in-cheek. What gives me the right to choose what you have to listen to?

It's simple: your rights end where mine begin. If your boat is the source of obnoxious noise pollution, why should everyone else have to leave the area? Who is the real problem?

Last edited by trace; 05-25-2010 at 8:24 AM.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-25-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
Almost forgot....

The new Backyard is about 1/2 a mile away from my house. I can hear the bass inside my house and literally could hear the song "Tush" by ZZ Top - word for word while walking the dog in my front yard at 10:30PM. I thought that was pretty cool. But i guess they should probably go ahead and shut that place down too huh?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-25-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
I'm on the fence and mostly just playing devil's advocate. I love loud music, but not always in the mood for it and find myself annoyed by others' tower speakers sometimes. I'm generally against additional restrictions of any kind, but the few morons always ruin it for everyone else - blasting houses in a cove at 1am, obscene lyrics with families around, etc. Restrictions are unfortunately always written to be easily enforced, which usually means they hurt the people that were already using common sense.

Nobody should be surprised by this turn of events, and if we'd done a better job policing our own, it might not have come to this.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-25-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trace View Post
I'm on the fence and mostly just playing devil's advocate. I love loud music, but not always in the mood for it and find myself annoyed by others' tower speakers sometimes. I'm generally against additional restrictions of any kind, but the few morons always ruin it for everyone else - blasting houses in a cove at 1am, obscene lyrics with families around, etc. Restrictions are unfortunately always written to be easily enforced, which usually means they hurt the people that were already using common sense.

Nobody should be surprised by this turn of events, and if we'd done a better job policing our own, it might not have come to this.

Quoted for truth
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-25-2010, 10:07 AM Reply   
^agreed
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       05-25-2010, 4:41 PM Reply   
I'll try not to offend anyone this monday. Come introduce your self if you see me...
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-25-2010, 5:36 PM Reply   
you'll be in the borat suit, right?
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       05-25-2010, 5:53 PM Reply   
You'll be lucky if i'm wearing anything at all.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-29-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
alright kids, i expect a full report this afty...we are doing DCs today and LA tomorrow...
Old     (floatingguru)      Join Date: May 2010       05-30-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
That particular cove has always had homeowners that call the cops and lake patrol for every reason. Noise, wakes, people, parties, and sex...yes sex.

These homeowners in that region even got Chuy's to stop having bands on the patio after 10pm.

I used to ride that area with legend Jimmy Redmon behind his Mako center console. Even though it was different then because ballasts and blaring music was not around in boats yet...we still got pulled over, boarded, and checked.

Deputy dogs that try to be dicks, homeowners, and phone calls to the mayor are all real things when you own a wakeboard boat. Enjoy the lake anyway and always make them tell you to turn it down. It still drives them nuts.

Todd
my blog: http://thirdcoastyachtsales.blogspot.com/
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       05-30-2010, 10:19 PM Reply   
so how was it?? I'm loading up and getting ready to venture out tomorrow...
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-31-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
it was business as usual...even w/o music blaring you still had to yell to be heard....