Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (laxwannabe1)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-16-2008, 6:17 PM Reply   
So I'm stuck in a predicament. With some of the good ole cash I'm making from my internship this summer, I want to buy either a Canon EOS 40D, or build a winch. I won't have money for both, so I need to choose one. It's a tough choice especially since they are totally different toys.

I'd use the camera to get shots behind the boat, in the snow, whatever and wherever. But the winch would be handy to have and flippin' sweet! It would most likely get used in the winter too for towing into rails and the like.

What would you go for?
Old     (cwbx993)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-16-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
id go for the winch
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-16-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
Winch FTW
Old    kidrik            06-16-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
They'll always be someone else willing to take pictures of you ridin' your new winch.......

Is she cute?
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-16-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
a winch is unique.. cameras are a dime a dozen..
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-16-2008, 8:39 PM Reply   
camera...after using the winch a couple of times it will get old...the camera will catch some priceless memories.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-16-2008, 8:51 PM Reply   
Camera.... Take some sweet pic's, sell them, and then use that money to buy a winch.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-16-2008, 10:20 PM Reply   
Winch. Definitely. So many more cool things to do w/ it. Pictures are cool, but everyone's got a camera.
Old    murrayair            06-16-2008, 11:03 PM Reply   
Winch. Which would you rather have: way more riding time or way more pics of the little riding you would be doing? Definitely more riding time.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-16-2008, 11:49 PM Reply   
Camera
+ pics are great, useful always, memories!
- will keep costing money (lens' etc. etc.)

Winch
+ cool spots, snow/wake use
- need at least 2 ppl, hiking gets old, gas
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-17-2008, 5:52 AM Reply   
To add to Nick's great points, the winch will more than likely require regular maintenance as well.. I'd go with a really good camera that will last you a long time.
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-17-2008, 6:00 AM Reply   
Do you HAVE to buy a brand new camera? How about looking at good used 20Ds or 30Ds and still have money left over for the winch. Or.. find a buddy with some money burning a hole in his pocket and get him to get the camera and you build the winch.
Cameras are great to have because you can use them for anything, but like nick said, with a DSLR you are going to constantly be wanting to buy lenses for telephoto, fish eye, macro, landscape, then comes the waterproof housing for water shots, then extra batteries, memory cards, flashes, extenders, tripods and before you know it you have a full studio setup. Ok, partly kidding. Also remember that it doesn't take a great camera to produce great photos.. it just makes it easier.
Winches bring out the creative side of us in a different way than a camera does. When you have the winch ANY bit of water is game to ride on. You'll be driving down the road and be like... man I bet we could build a tiny rail and session it in that ditch over there. With a winch you can.
I've rambled enough and not helped one bit in your decision. Just wanted to give you some things to think about.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-17-2008, 6:04 AM Reply   
I 2nd find a buddy with a little cash. Once you get started winching, someone will want pics of it. let them figure that out and just keep winching.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-17-2008, 6:11 AM Reply   
winch
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-17-2008, 7:38 AM Reply   
Save the money.

Everyone has a camera. Cheap camera opportunities pop up all the time, esp used ones. DSLRs are a beating to haul around so most people that buy them offload them for a nice small point-n-shoot.

Winches are mechanical and require care (money) to keep em running right. The best winches in the world belong to someone else.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-17-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
winch
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-17-2008, 7:48 AM Reply   
Build a winch and buy a 10D off craigslist.
Old     (bcm4life)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-17-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
just skip a car payment and get both :-)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-17-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
I change my mind. I agree with Jason, save the cash.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-17-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
I wouldn't blow your whole summer savings on either. If you really want a winch, see if you can find 3 or 4 other people to split it with. For those kind of toys that you use every once in a while, it is never cost effective to buy it on your own. As far as the camera, other posts have offered other options. The DSLRs are nice no doubt, but do not make a lot of financial sense unless your are buying one for semi-professional situations or truly have extra cash to totally blow.