Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (markp)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-14-2008, 10:42 PM Reply   
I need some help from you guys. I am looking to buy a used boat that I can take the family out and have some fun with, wake/ski. I have three kids 16,19 23. Total combined weight for all 5 of us is 750lbs. I am getting so overwhelmed by all this research.
There are just to many direction to go, inboard, outboard, etc, size, hours. Let alone which make. I have about $9000 saved. Thanks or your time.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-14-2008, 11:20 PM Reply   
Mark, you need a boat that's at least 19' but not over 23'. That size eliminates an outboard. Bigger is more expensive to buy and operate. It also takes up more room for storage. Smaller is just more cramped. Remember that many I/O's have the length of the swim deck included in the overall length so they have less space than an inboard boat of the same length, usually. Get an open bow because at those ages you are going to have friends riding with you and you will appreciate the space.
Your kids are going to be really active in the boat at those ages so think about the total cost to get them, and you enjoyment. I would not worry about the hours on a boat as much as the physical condition and appearance. Even rebuilding a motor is much cheaper than reupolstery.
A tower is nice but you don't "need" it and you can add one if you have too. You'll want at least 200 hp but more is always nice.
I hope that narrows you down some. Good Luck.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-14-2008, 11:31 PM Reply   
Sounds like your getting worked up about it, Mark. I like to have fun with it. This is a toy afterall. Enjoy the process. Test drive an I/O, an outboard & an inboard. Bring at least one of your kids along & have them ride or ski while you drive. As long as you tell the seller your intentions & offer to reimburse them for gas, most sellers are fine with going out for a test ride.
While your having fun with it, pay attention to how the seller gets the boat on & off the trailer, starts the boat, drives, etc. He will have a routine he follows everyday. Everyone's routine will vary but includes the same details. You will learn a lot the first few times out.

If $9k is what you want to spend for that size of crew, most any 19' - 20' boat will be fine. Or it could be a downpayment on something nicer. If your kids are serious about their riding, even potentially serious, then an inboard might be best in the long run. If you think this first boat is something you might want to run for a couple years, then upgrade if you get serious, an I/O will probably fit the bill just fine. Outboards are not typically used for ski/wakeboard boats.

Relax & have some fun with it. Come back with some more specific questions & I'll give you my 2 cents.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-15-2008, 5:24 AM Reply   
your kids are up there in age .....how into wakeboarding or skiing are they? 9000 down payment or 9000 for the boat? How much use do you think you will get?is it your first boat?

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on February 15, 2008)