Wake 101
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (alanp)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-25-2012, 7:24 PM Reply   
my wife's engagement ring was stolen from our home. i was able to identify the thief and he since confessed to me about the theft. i turned over the info to the police and he is being prosecuted. we have also found the business where he sold the ring. the ring has been sold by the pawn shop to a 3rd party(who we have identified as well) am i entitled eligible to recover my wife's ring from the 3rd party? im in virginia.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-25-2012, 7:44 PM Reply   
I'm not a lawyer or knowledgable regarding Virgina Law, but in California you would be entitled to your stolen property. The police should recover the property and return it to you once the case is complete. It is up to the third owner, Pawn shop & suspect to work out who takes the loss on the sale of stolen property (not you)
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-25-2012, 8:17 PM Reply   
My BIL just had his chainsaw,tiller and power washer stolen.When the police in Hanover County Va. Found the merchandise they made the business owner return it or face prosecution.As you already know I'm not a lawyer.Hope everything works out for you Alan! I know I would want to get my hands on them before the police.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-25-2012, 11:30 PM Reply   
talk to chattwake, he's a lawyer but i don't think that this is his specific field.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-26-2012, 8:40 AM Reply   
Quickly (and I'm not going to research it further), yes, since the property is stolen, no later purchaser can take good title. The current possessor has a warranty of title claim against the pawn shop for their money back under UCC section 312

Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) section 2-312(3) (or R.S.Mo. 400.2-312(3), most other states having verbatim the same law), which provides a warranty against infringement wherein sellers warrant that the goods shall be free of the rightful claim of any third person including such claim as infringement or the like.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-26-2012, 9:12 AM Reply   
Your civil action against the current transferree (possesor) is one of detinue ??? and not replevin ?


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 5:16 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home


© 2016 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us