Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-04-2012, 6:05 PM Reply   
Just started trying this the other day. Anyone that can do one have any advice? I'm guessing that keeping the handle in close will definitely help, but anything else?

Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-04-2012, 6:17 PM Reply   
I am no expert, but it looks like you aren't rotating far enough for the 180. It looks like you are only rotating to like 140 degrees or so. You may be able to fix that by ripping the handle harder earlier. You are waiting quite a while, it may help to start your back 1 sooner imo. The other thing I was noticing is you seemed to case the top of the wake a bit, maybe take the trick a bit farther out for a more solid landing?
Old     (hkysk8r187)      Join Date: May 2004       09-10-2012, 12:19 PM Reply   
The rotation on the backside 180 looks fine, it's not under-rotated really. The problem is you're landing over your heels instead of over your toes. You need to under-rotate the backroll a bit in order to land over your toes. You're spinning a full backroll rotation which is making you more upright on the landing. To ride away blind just under rotate the backroll.

Can you do HS Roll to Revert? It's the same idea, when you to a R2R you way under-rotate the flip and it gets you over your toes on the landing. To do the backside 180 it's the same as the R2R with the frontside 180. You still need to under-rotate the flip in order to get your body over the toe edge of the board on landing.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-10-2012, 2:30 PM Reply   
Yep, I can do a Roll 2 Revert. I was actually told the same thing by a friend who does some coaching...I'm over rotating the flip. Here's a few more attempts, but this was before I knew I was overrotating the flip. I hope to be able to go out and give it a few more tries in a couple days. I'm wondering that if I try to spin blind a bit earlier if it will help to slow the filp rotation?

from jay on Vimeo.

Old     (jsw)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-17-2012, 7:35 PM Reply   
i cant do them, but i'll throw out some advice. it does look good. from your video it just looks like you need a little bit more handle pull and head turn. you kind of let the handle out when you start the bs 1 portion. check this vid of jb and notice how he really initiates the bs 1 portion of the trick. jus my .02 cents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvkv74--ajY
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-17-2012, 11:45 AM Reply   
From what I see you need to keep the handle in tighter with your hips throughout the whole trick. This will make it easier to spin the BS 1. As the others have said as well, turning your head a little more will also help. The biggest thing that I see however is that you need to initiate the BS portion of the trick sooner. You're pulling it once you're basically done with the flip, and need to start the BS spin at about the 3/4 mark of the flip. Doing this, the flip will actually slow down and allow you to get on your toes easier on the landing. One last thing, make sure that when you are spinning to really get your hips around. If your hips don't make the spin, neither will your legs. Good luck.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       12-27-2012, 12:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkysk8r187 View Post
The rotation on the backside 180 looks fine, it's not under-rotated really. The problem is you're landing over your heels instead of over your toes. You need to under-rotate the backroll a bit in order to land over your toes. You're spinning a full backroll rotation which is making you more upright on the landing. To ride away blind just under rotate the backroll.

Can you do HS Roll to Revert? It's the same idea, when you to a R2R you way under-rotate the flip and it gets you over your toes on the landing. To do the backside 180 it's the same as the R2R with the frontside 180. You still need to under-rotate the flip in order to get your body over the toe edge of the board on landing.

^^^^ Great advice right there. I lost my roll2blind for a few weeks and a friend pointed this out to me. They're back now
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-19-2013, 10:16 AM Reply   
Your trying to initiate your spin to early. There are two ways to do R2B, early handle pass R2B or Late R2B and from the looks of it all of your attempts are a late R2B. Watch the video of JB above and watch how he completes the entire flip and then tugs the handle to blind. They call it late for a reason. When you tug late there is more tension on the line and it makes it easier to quickly spin that bs 180. In all of your attempts I watched it appears your are initiated the spin while there is still some slack in the line which causes you to under rotate the spin and land on your heels.

I will also agree with the advice above on under rotating your flip. The stall in your flip rotation will help you learn the proper time to initiate the spin as well
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-26-2013, 3:16 PM Reply   
I used to attempt these and it looked alot like that but when I tried under rotating the trick I caught several back edges in a row. I haven't attempted one since.
That was three years ago.
Old     (BuyWake_Rhett)      Join Date: May 2013       11-12-2013, 7:14 AM Reply   
Take a longer cut and try to throw the backroll "mexican". This basically means throw the roll edge-over-edge, not nose-over-tail. Instead of putting your chin on your front shoulder off the wake, try tucking your head. This will cause you to initiate the 180 earlier and you'll land with less line tension. good Luck!