Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old    kc700            10-10-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
Im looking into picking up a Panasonic HPX170 but I wanted to get some thoughts from anyone who might have one.

Ive read some of the changes they have made since the HVX but id like to know if the extra money is really worth it or if I should just go for the HVX.

Im hoping some of the HVX users will weigh in on how significantly helpful the new changes would be....

Heres a list of most of them.
http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/hpx170/
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-10-2008, 10:48 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure the HPX and HVX are the same price.. and "yes" I think the new features would warrant buying it!

If I had an option I would swap out!

Let me know if you want to buy a HVX.. ;-)
Old    kc700            10-11-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
Everywhere I looked had it for a bit more. If thats the case then I guess it doesnt matter.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-11-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
HPX-170 @ Specialized Communications is $5199 w/ 16 GB Card and one of their Super-Long-Life Batteries

http://www.spec-comm.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=118_23&prod ucts_id=784

HVX200A is $5299 > http://www.spec-comm.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=118_23&prod ucts_id=737

I would also check with Tommy Mack at Express Video Supply in LA.. Their website price will be MSRP, but call him directly and you will get the same if not better pricing than SpecComm.. Just keep in mind that you probably won't get the extra battery like with SpecComm. Another thing to consider is that you only have to pay 3% tax since it's being used professionally..

So Extra Battery + Shipping & (possibly no sales tax since it's out of state) from SpecComm VS whatever Tommy @ EVS can come up with.

btw - Panasonic has 24 month lease-to-own with 2.99%.. Instant write off! Comes out to about $240/month

(Message edited by dcervenka on October 11, 2008)
Old     (coyotesexual)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-21-2008, 8:48 PM Reply   
where can i find that lease-to-own information?
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-31-2008, 7:42 AM Reply   
I just went to an HPX from an HVX.

Picture is great. Alot less noise. Better in lower light for sure. I like the added features- especially the manual focus assist and waveform and vectorscopes. Last clip delete is a savior, too. Metadata editing in the field is pretty cool.

However, I am not impressed w/ the fit and feel at all. It really seems like a "cheaper" camera. The build quality doesn't feel very "pro". Also, I wish they would have stayed w/ 82mm, instead of going back to 72mm- have to buy all new accessories. They say the LCD is better, however it seems pretty much the same as what was on my HVX. I still dont understand why they dont put better screens on these. I've got a super sharp LCD screen that blows away the HPX and HVX LCD's on my little handheld Sony HDD cam. I want that screen on my HPX, bad.

Definitely enjoying it so far and will no more after my first real shoot with it next week.

With that being said- the picture IS superior to what I was used to with my original HVX (not the A model)
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-31-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
I am excited to see this thing Ronnie!
Old    kc700            10-31-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
Awesome. Well ive considered all the facts here and Im going with the HVX. Gotta do it.
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-21-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
After my first real shoot with the HPX, I must say that it was a great step from the HVX. Very happy with it- especially coming from the original HVX. I havent compared it to a 200A. Being a pound and a half lighter- it was alot less fatiguing on a long day of shooting. Even got it to fit in my housing that I had for my HVX.