Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (mike_baione)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-03-2005, 7:19 PM Reply   
Wends. a.m i am going to work on backrolls. Mentally i have it but unsure which to try 1st. Backfliping is no problem for me and my toeside w2w are clean. thinking TS?
Old     (board22)      Join Date: May 2005       10-03-2005, 7:35 PM Reply   
I think you should go healside but thats me
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-03-2005, 7:45 PM Reply   
TS BR was the first flip I rode out of.

Concentrate on pop, and on keeping a lot of line tension. You need to take a short approach to the wake then edge hard all the way up. Definitely a progressive edge trick. If you come in with a bunch of speed, you'll get no height. Also, make sure you don't throw it to early.
Old     (mike_baione)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-03-2005, 7:55 PM Reply   
How were the falls on your TS BR? Am i safer overrotating?
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-03-2005, 8:14 PM Reply   
I just started my ts backrolls and it feels like I'm doing a ts tantrum...if that makes any sense. I think it's easier than the hs backroll. Still haven't rode away with the rope but I'm close.
Old     (mike_baione)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-03-2005, 8:32 PM Reply   
TS tantrum, now im really confused.Do you land your hs backrolls?
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-03-2005, 9:03 PM Reply   
yeah I'm landing my hs backrolls. When I do my ts backrolls It feels like I'm doing a tantrum. except that I'm edging in toeside. That's the only way I can explain it. I get the rotation and I'm usually holding the rope but I let go either 3/4 the way around or after I've landed...???? I think it's a mental hang up. I did a pretty good toe pick that rung my bell so I've been a little reserved the last few times I tried it. Look on the instructional section of wakeworld and it has a vid clip of the ts backroll. Hope that helps
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-03-2005, 9:19 PM Reply   
The crashes look worse than they feel.

Concentrate on timing and pop it good. The worst thing you can do is though it early. Early = no pop = catch your edge on the second wake = smack.

I actually left my boots loose for this one. If you do catch it, the board releases and you'll be fine.

Though the motion might be the same, the TS backroll cut is completely different from the tantrum. It's the opposite. Let the boat pull you back in, then edge hard in the last 10 feet.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-03-2005, 9:20 PM Reply   
Yes, over rotating is better than under
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-04-2005, 5:19 AM Reply   
I land my HS backrolls alot. TS backrolls and HS backrolls are not similar in my opinion. J-Rod I was coming in with too much speed and yeh I caught the other wake like you said. BAM! Lets just say I do not do it as fast now! Good luck Mike.
Old     (mike_baione)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-04-2005, 8:44 AM Reply   
Ok. Got out there this morning, 6 attemps HS each consistantly in a layed out position eyes open looking straight up into the sky counting the seconds before i land on my neck and back, landing in the flats. I know i have to slow down!
Where should i keep my arms/elbows and should i keep both hands on the handle? (i do not want to go mexican) I think my arm position is the answer.Going out again Wends. A.M. Thanx for the help.
Old     (mike_baione)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-04-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
Is there any comparison to HS backroll and Raley???
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-04-2005, 9:27 AM Reply   
what do you mean by "comparison?"

Some believe the HS BR teaches you the edge for the raley. I have seen guys accidentally learn the BR while trying to learn the raley.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-04-2005, 10:20 AM Reply   
Mike, on the HS BR, keep your handle at your hips, with both hands on it most or all of the way around. I know that most of the times I case a HS BR it's because I've let the handle get up or out from the hip area. When I focus on keeping the handle down there and close...the rotation happens and then it's just a matter of not landing in a slide.
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-04-2005, 10:53 AM Reply   
HS back roll you should have the handle at you waste level with your elbows bent at a 90 degree angle and keep them at this spot all the way through the rotation. Think about touching your right ear to your right shoulder if you are regular and left ear to left shoulder if you are goofy. Imagine going under the rope. Spot your landing...not spot the sky!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-04-2005, 12:20 PM Reply   
TS backroll to revert was the easiest invert I ever learned. I still have trouble getting good pop on a regular ts backroll.
Old    alanp            10-04-2005, 12:49 PM Reply   
leo try taking the ts backroll away (edge hard and away once inside the whitewash) from the boat more and youll flip around no problem and most likely overroate at first.
Old    jamesboardr            10-04-2005, 6:37 PM Reply   
J-ROD. that is completely how i learned the backroll. i dont really wakeboard. i switched to wakeskating back in january. but anyways. i went for a raley type cut and BAM. threw the biggest layed out sweet backroll. hs backroll is more letting the boat and wake pop you around. there really is no need to throw any rotation cause the pull of the rope does it for you. easier than ts backroll by far, in my opinion.
Old     (mike_baione)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-06-2005, 1:29 PM Reply   
Took all advice thanks alot!!!Went out yesterday i put the board on the water 8 out of 8 times lost the handle every time because i was leaning back to far , board hits then my ass. Guys said i was out in the flats every time, I could see the water on my way down ( or until it got dark) all cheers from the boat.... I will do this over the weekend. Any tips on how to get more vertical on my landing?
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-06-2005, 1:40 PM Reply   
Hit the wakes - I'm having the same problem you are...I'm landing on my heelside edge, then slipping out on my butt. I've always heard that how you land is how you took off...so maybe that's our problem. Maybe we are not standing tall enough and are instead leaning back too much on take off. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm throwing a Mexican backroll rather than a progressive. I need to fix that and commit to trying the progressive...Mexican is really hard to spot the water...I see the water coming really late in the rotation, whereas on a progressive backroll, I think you should see it much earlier.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-06-2005, 1:44 PM Reply   
mike did you go TS or HS?
Old     (mike_baione)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-06-2005, 1:45 PM Reply   
HS.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-06-2005, 2:49 PM Reply   
In all the video clips on the net it seems like the rolls that really look smooth are the ones where you start your edge really close to the wake and then smoothly land on the downside of the other wake. I too end up in the flats, but think that's because we're charging a little hard.

When I try to come into a HS BR with too much speed, it ends up out in the flats and the g-forces tend to open me up/pull the handle up or out from the hips, whih kills rotation. Better to just start in closer and think about going up while keeping handle down low.

Ps. From all the sliding out, have you racked your nutz yet? A series of failed attempts taught me to get some of them under-armor butt-hugger shorts to wear under the shorts. No more painful hobble.
Old     (mike_baione)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-06-2005, 3:28 PM Reply   
Yeah man. i racked em. except for it getting dark out it was my second reason on calling it quits yesterday!!!!!!! have to slow down , thanx for the tip..
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-06-2005, 3:30 PM Reply   
Derek...hahaha...sounds like you know about have your boys slapped on the old slide out. That crap hurts like hell. I'm tired of having to bounce myself on the swimdeck afterwards to get everything right again. Sounds like the sliding short looking things are the way to go...going to get a pair of those before going out again.
Old     (mike_baione)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-09-2005, 8:55 PM Reply   
Buzzkill! rained out all weekend.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-09-2005, 10:30 PM Reply   
That's okay, I'll pick up tomorrow where you left off :-)

On the other hand, did you see the thread about TS BR to compound fracture?
Old     (mike_baione)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-10-2005, 7:21 AM Reply   
He was working on TS FR. still makes me nervous though. How the f--k did that happen, its just not right....
Old    muckno_rider            10-10-2005, 7:37 AM Reply   
If you try letting the handle out from your hips just as you spot your landing, it should slow your rotation and prevent you from sliding out.

I started doing that this summer and it helped alot.

Don't do it too soon though, cause you will under-rotate and thats just nasty.