Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-02-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
I checked stop 2. Hardly anyone is riding over there, even many of the Ausies. What is up? I think changing up the dates may have had an impact. I heard last year was awesome. Why can't wakeboard or
Old     (lachie_mew)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-02-2008, 5:04 PM Reply   
watkins is having a year off and so is ike. scotty broome's out with a knee injury as is mitch langfield. chris o'shea didnt ride the second stop but did the first. and dean smith and harley clifford have come 1st and 2nd at each event. i dont know what else though. i reckon the top US riders should go over and ride the tour. watson and lyman did last year and apparently loved it. the aussies dont have a winter so why should the us riders
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-02-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
This time of year a lot of the US riders are committed to representing their sponsors at the Boat shows and such.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-02-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
Yeah I was with Watson and Lyman all day at the Dallas Boat Show and they are doing the boat show circuit this year.
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-03-2008, 1:55 AM Reply   
Its so badly scheduled, the tour spans over four months with only 4 stops, one stop is in new zealand. most the guys like ike, sanders, watkins are having the season off. they've been competing non stop for around 10 years now.
adam errington went to the first stop. lyman, watson, shane etc. have done some stops in the past.
poor event planning has let us down :-(
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-04-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
I know Lidberg and Hair were there last year and some other Americans. I heard they had a great time and traveled like a caravan from one stop to the other. They had 4 stops in 5 weeks so the Yanks could do a 5 or 6 week trip and hit all the stops plus some other stuff.

Why do organizers shoot themselves in the foot. No disrespect for Dean and Harley but the level of competition seems very suspect- throw in Smeele and you have 3 riders and only 2 are pro men at the last stop. It looks like less than 20 even rode.

The pro Ausies probably hate it. They have no break leaving US in October and starting there in Novemeber. A 5 week tour allows the boys to get some rest. Will they go back to a 5 week schedule next year?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-04-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
Dean Smith got injured.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-04-2008, 5:21 PM Reply   
Harley Clifford beat Watkins and Ike on the weekend at the wake slam jam on the gold coast! You can't say that he and dean dominating the pro tour isn't legit when he's just beaten two of the biggest names around...

I think it's generally agreed that the planning of the aus pro tour dates was pretty poor this year.. . hopefully they've realised their mistake and will put them closer together next time.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-05-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
Alice- No offense- Aussies have killed it for years, but I would not call this year's tour legit. Now Dean is out? So Harley and Brad are the only 2 that anyone has heard of? 2 name riders? The APWT deserves better than that.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-05-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
Roger, your forgetting about Ike, Watkins, Chris O'Shea & Jeff Weatherall I would count them as "name riders" all finished in the top 27 for king of wake.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-05-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
Dean is supposed to be back riding before the next pro tour stop.

Randy, of those riders you named, only o'shea is competing in the APTW this year, but my point was that harley kicked the asses of those same big names this weekend (in another pro contest - unrelated to the APTW), so that proves that the level of riding in the APTW is up there, despite not having as many big name competitors as usual.

Roger, I definitely agree the APTW deserves better than that. I'd say that by now the organisers would have figured out that they need to have the stops closer together in order to attract the big name aussies along with overseas riders. or at least, I hope they have - it's pretty damn obvious! :-)
Old     (lachie_mew)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-05-2008, 9:10 PM Reply   
alice i think your talking about WakeWars, harley won that. or the wake slam jam which he also won
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-05-2008, 9:20 PM Reply   
Didn't Ike, Watkins, Chris O, & Weatherall all ride at Adelaide, I thought that was part of the APWT?
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-05-2008, 10:06 PM Reply   
no, adelaide is wake wars - not part of APTW.

yes lachie, i know harley won the wake slam jam - i was there.
read my post this time to get what i was actually trying to say!!
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-06-2008, 3:13 AM Reply   
I think we all agree- Go back to the old schedule. Do people who put on wakeboard tournaments all go to the same event organizing school? If so that explains a lot.