Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    upupnaway            02-09-2003, 9:05 AM Reply   
Everyone on this board seems to have their perfect set up as far as ballast goes. Is there anyone on here that just uses the stock set-up?
If so, what kind of boat is it?
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-09-2003, 9:53 AM Reply   
From what I've read, the two boats that seem to get closest are the Malibu Wakesetter VLX with Wedge and MB Sports B52 with 2,000 lbs. stock ballast. MB Sports doesn't seem to be much of an option unless you're on the west coast.

I plan on keeping 400 lbs. of lead in my VLX, and I expect to be very happy...
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-09-2003, 10:11 AM Reply   
I have a MB Sports B52 and I run it stock. I have put 200 lbs in the front before but I run it stock.
Old    wakelvr            02-09-2003, 11:02 AM Reply   
I took a SAN (air 210) out yesterday for a demo. We didn't add any extra weight to it. It bucked me higher and farther than some boats I've riddden in completely weighed down. Is that enough.... probably not! I'd still add a little weight to it. But the wake was NICE without it as well.

Just my 2 cents....
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-09-2003, 12:31 PM Reply   
A majority of the time I run just my stock ballast (2001 MC X-10 w/ Triple KGB). With ppl and gear I am satisfied. I do have about 200lbs in the boat in cement for balancing purposes, but this remains in the boat all season so it is like having a extra person or two, not setup to alter the wake any!
Generally I don't add weight but if I do, it is just a 350lbs sack in the bow, and that is it.

KG
Old    jdr            02-09-2003, 3:25 PM Reply   
I run stock KGB on MC S-30, but I suck.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-09-2003, 3:58 PM Reply   
Here's a shot of a SAN TE with factory ballast only....

Disclaimer: I did not take this photo and I cannot confirm that it is factory only, just what I have been told!
Wow
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-09-2003, 6:26 PM Reply   
Darren - maybe at about 20 miles an hour with stock ballast. I'm curious to know what the speed was.

Stefani - How did you have your x-9 weighted? I ride with a guy that has one. It's nice with just the stock plus one in the back. I want to know what you run.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-09-2003, 6:39 PM Reply   
Thane, those guys don't ride at 20. I used to ride with them in NorCal.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-09-2003, 6:40 PM Reply   
stock is ok if you have 8 or 9 people in the boat :-) i have not quite 600 lbs of lead and it's still nice to have 4 or 5 people in the boat...
Old    wakelvr            02-09-2003, 7:01 PM Reply   
Thane Dogg: We've had several different ways of weighing it down. In addition to the ballasts, we usually do the same as you plus one up the front. Or, 2 fat boys besides the engine and one up the front. That one is my favorite, prepare for launch....

The x9 handles like a dream being that it is a DDrive.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-09-2003, 9:10 PM Reply   
that sounds right. that's what I wanted to do. Stock plus one up front, and a fat buddy on each side of the engine. We'll try it next time. Thanks Stefani.
Old    wakelvr            02-09-2003, 9:18 PM Reply   
Try one fat boy on each side of engine, and one up the front. You'll fly:-)
Old    akman            02-09-2003, 9:40 PM Reply   
Thane, I was running my Prostar 209 with a total of 2400lbs, the wake is SWEET!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-09-2003, 9:51 PM Reply   
Gramps - Seriously that much weight? Wake must be massive. I think Jeff (the guy with the x-9) told me something about you having a tank in the rear locker that you built yourself or something. How's yours set up? Must be pretty anxious waiting for that new boat huh? Congratulations. Chris at the Wakesports in OC has one on the way too. SWEET BOAT.
Old    akman            02-09-2003, 10:15 PM Reply   
Thane,
Stock ballast 900lbs +
500lb sack in the rear locker
200lbs of lead under the bow seats
80lbs of lead under the locker sack
250lbs of lead along side of the gas tank under the rear locker
150 sack behind the engine in front of the back bag
full tank of gas 245lbs

Wake is nice and big, I never heard anyone complain.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-09-2003, 10:56 PM Reply   
Gramps, did you take the lead out of the 209 to keep for the Super?
Old    norcal_99            02-09-2003, 11:22 PM Reply   
I have an X-Star and only use the factory installed ballast.

Everybody I've ever pulled liked the wake.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-09-2003, 11:30 PM Reply   
Rene, no offense, but again, they're not going to tell you that they don't like your wake. And of course they liked the wake...you always have 15 people in your boat!
Old    norcal_99            02-09-2003, 11:41 PM Reply   
I know what you're saying about them not telling me the wake sucks, but their actions speak clearly for them. In the morning there's four or five boats sitting there, and they all jump on mine because everybody wants to ride behind it. That's the reason I have that many people on board. I’m sure it’s not to hang with a knucklehead like myself.

Even on the midweek morning trips to lake Calero with only three people the wake sets up large, firm, and steep.
Old     (pjdave)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-10-2003, 12:52 AM Reply   
In our 2003 san team we run stock tanks with 200kls of lead in the bow with 4 people, It is a really big wake without having to stuff around with fat sacks.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-10-2003, 1:08 AM Reply   
Rene, I'm just givin' you crap, 'cause I've never ridden with anyone that was happy w/ just the factory ballast.
Old    upupnaway            02-10-2003, 2:05 AM Reply   
How about boats in contests.... how are they set up?
Old    aircanada            02-10-2003, 2:09 AM Reply   
Rene,

Thanks for the pull last week, I forgot to tell you we had a great time, but the wake sucked. I think that might have been the reason I wasn't getting any height on my wake 2 wakes.

Joking aside, with 4 of us in the boat the wakes on Rene's X-Star were great. It was the first time I had been behind an X-Star with the tanks filled and I was impressed with the wake. I'm no expert by any means however, just my personal opinion. I had ridden behind an X-Star before for some lessons I took, but they would not fill the tanks... The bastards!

I have been running my X-10 with stock ballast since I bought it and very happy with the wake. Of course I've now got 3 sacs to play with. I plan to only fill them once or twice a week to spice things up a little or when riding with only 3 people. I think I've still got a lot of work to do before I can fully capitalize on a larger wake and I don't want to end up replacing proper technique with a bigger wake!
Old    akman            02-10-2003, 8:50 AM Reply   
Joe, I did keep the lead and I plan to run the Super Air with 600lbs of lead and the ballast for starters.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-10-2003, 9:25 AM Reply   
Gramps, I did not know you were running with 530 lbs of lead in the Prostar. That's encouraging, since I am thinking of adding another 100 lbs of lead to the 425 I have in the Bu, but am hesitant because of the trailer.

Since when does gas count for ballast??? LOL I have never seen that. I have never counted gas. When people "quote" the ballast they ride with, do they normally include gas? I have never done so. And, how much does 35 gallons weigh?

I can vouch for Gramps' wake though. It was big and firm. It had to be about the best overall setup for wakeboarding in a direct drive anywhere.

Here's a little info for all you boat owners out there. Nobody is going to come right out and tell you if they don't like something about the wake behind your boat.
Old    norcal_99            02-10-2003, 10:24 AM Reply   
I agree with you Andre, Most people wont come out and tell you if they didn't like something about your wake, but I'm sure they'd suggest something in a round about way like "have you ever tried using sacs," or "I have some sacs do you want me to bring them?"

For the record, I am looking into getting some lead, but I'm waiting until I have a better tow vehical. Which by the way, I'm flying to Texas to pick up next Monday.

Old    akman            02-10-2003, 7:44 PM Reply   
When they give the weight of a boat, it is DRY weight. I always count the weight of the gas in my total weight for ballast.

I think gas is 7 or 8lbs a gallon.

In the Super Air I will start with 600lbs of lead and decide after we tweak it a little if we need more.

I have never been afraid to trailer up to an hour with the lead, the trailer can handle the weight no problem. The thing to worry about is the weight bouncing around in the boat.

Most tube or channel trailers are built to handle 5000lbs of total gross weight. Tires might be another concern too.

Old    norcal_99            02-10-2003, 8:48 PM Reply   
Sir Gramps,

Does the rider who goes first have the better wake, and does the rider who goes last have the lesser wake of the day? How much does the wake differ from the first to last rider of the day?

Can I go first?
Old     (jimcampbell)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-10-2003, 10:58 PM Reply   
Mike,
Dave,s boat was used to pull the Australian planet X games. The riders where going huge.

ITS ALL GOOD
Old    cluster_01            03-26-2003, 1:16 AM Reply   
MB Sports B-52 series come with 1,600 or 2,100 lb. ballast tanks. They have been a west coast boat, but will be showing up east of the Mississippi this year.