Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-07-2015, 12:38 PM Reply   
With all the controversy on judging the WWSC 2015, I was wondering what everyone thinks about this so called super sticky punt wax.
If you use this, should you be scored a higher intensity score because it is easier to get it to look like big air? (board stuck to your feet). I've heard some say its like cheating. Just wondering what others might have to say about this......
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-07-2015, 2:47 PM Reply   
where can i read about said controversy?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-08-2015, 9:01 AM Reply   
James walker blog page on FB
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-08-2015, 10:05 AM Reply   
interesting reads.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-10-2015, 8:48 AM Reply   
Cheating is an act of dishonesty or unfair action to gain an advantage. Wax, not just gooey enhanced wax is available to everyone. All surf style wax will enhance your grip to the board. Properly placed and groomed 'normal' surf wax can be just as grippy as sticky alternatives. Each wax company sells a sticky version with many using different formulations to achieve various grades of 'stickiness'.

Big air is big air, whether wax assisted or not. Big air is really all about leverage and flexibility, the ability to bring your legs/knees to your chest. Long, lean, stringy and springy riders tend to launch higher airs than short, squatty riders. Same as small light weight youth literally get thrown into the air much higher that older heavy set adults. So, should we handicap riders with less genetic ability.

Nick
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-12-2015, 10:45 AM Reply   
I agree Nick, I was just asking the question because a couple riders I know that use the stuff actually said to me, that it's like cheating. LOL. I personally don't like it that sticky, and how sweet would it be to be young again!
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-12-2015, 11:06 AM Reply   
Yes yes, where is that fountain of youth again??
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-12-2015, 1:43 PM Reply   
One thing that I think it kind of interesting about punt, is that it is so sticky, it hinders you on other tricks that require you to move your feet around. So it boosts your airs but can really screw you up on other stuff. I see a lot of riders that used to use it heavily, now only use it a bit, or much less. In the end, technique is the best way to get the biggest airs, and requires a lot of practice, shortcutting that may get you some good pictures, but in the end won't make you more competitive IMHO.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-13-2015, 3:05 PM Reply   
Ya, that stuff is way too sticky! I could not move my feet for anything, the one time I tried it LOL