Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (saskrider)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-13-2012, 1:54 PM Reply   
Well the local boat show came and gone here up in Saskatchewan Canada, and the snow is quickly melting away. My girlfriend and I are wanting to buy our first inboard boat. We looked at all the new models at the show which were all very nice (Mastercraft, Malibu/axis, Nautique, Supra/moomba, Epic) but decided to buy used, because like many people we can't afford a brand new one.
After looking and talking we narrowed our search down to a few, the newer style X2, 04-07 X-Star, and would love a X-15 but most are out of our price range.
Moomba Mobius and Supra Launch 06-08
Super Air 210 04-08, i know they changed the hull in there but I dont know what year and what the difference is.

I am just wondering people's experience with these boats, what the pro's and cons are of each one and if there is anything special to look for when looking at them.

I know the MC's are more expensive but are supposed to be the best quality, The moomba's are more in our price range and seem to be adequate for what we need and the 210's are in between.

We board and surf recreationally and love just being on the water.

Thanks for your help
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-13-2012, 2:23 PM Reply   
The Supra 21V and 22SSV are a nice upscale boat and if you are patient they can be had for the right price. Check these out.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/2893307840.html

http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/showth...a-Sunsport-22V
Old    TN22            03-13-2012, 2:26 PM Reply   
Can't go wrong with a Moomba, they're a really good, solid boat for your first one. Hold their value well too.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-13-2012, 2:35 PM Reply   
I wouldn't buy anything with a girlfriend but that's just me... Good luck with the search.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-13-2012, 2:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalrider View Post
I wouldn't buy anything with a girlfriend but that's just me... Good luck with the search.
Maybe Sask Rider knows his girlfriend well enough to know that she's not telling him what to buy,just supporting his decision.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-13-2012, 3:09 PM Reply   
go get yourself a very slightly used Sanger V215 or V210. Rock solid boats, great wake, lower price.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-13-2012, 3:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
Maybe Sask Rider knows his girlfriend well enough to know that she's not telling him what to buy,just supporting his decision.
I'm thinking more about name on title, payments in support, ect... That would lead to future claim on the boat should things go wrong with the relationship. Cynical like that...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-13-2012, 3:29 PM Reply   
good choice on buying something used. It sounds like you are basically targeting the 06-08 range(maybe newer with the MoombaLSV). Those boats have already taken their large hit in depreciation and shouldn't drop much. I think any of those boats would be great. I probably wouldn't choose the Xstar just because it isn't really known as the most versatile boat around. It also has less room in the cockpit then the X2 or any of those other boats for that matter. It is probably the sexiest and has the most room in the bow though. Honestly between the Moomba LSV, Supra 21V(assuming that is the model you are looking at), SAN210(target07 and newer, that is when they changed), the X2 and the X15 I am not sure which one I would choose. I am not the biggest fan of the layout of the 210. The Moomba lsv would be at the top of my list if I wanted a less expensive boat that does everything pretty decently without all the bling or the X15 if I wanted the top notch plushness and a boat that does everything pretty well. The X2 would probably be my 3rd choice followed by Supra 21v, then 210 then the Xstar. Those are my personal opinions though. You need to look at each and decide if the added bling and plushness of the Mastercraft, Nautique or Supra are worth it over the simple utilitarian moomba.
Old     (saskrider)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-13-2012, 3:32 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys
@norcalrider, I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from, technically we are not married but we own a house together and are legally common law, we will get married some day,

On the other note, has there been any issues or things to look at on the moomba's?
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-13-2012, 3:33 PM Reply   
Test drive every one of them before you buy and have it inspected! Doesn't matter if it's a 10k boat or a used one for 50k.. Please spend some serious time (hours) in whatever you choose before you pull the trigger. Also make sure that whatever you buy can be serviced by a dealer you can trust.

Other things to consider:

On your lake or river is the water choppy at times? Some hulls will do better than others in chop.

It appears that you surf so your ballast setup needs to be expandable (deep lockers).

If you have a large crew, extra storage is helpful to keep things less cluttered..

My .02

-J
Old     (saskrider)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-13-2012, 6:44 PM Reply   
I forgot to add 05-08 Malibu wakesetters also
Old     (saskrider)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-19-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
Well i've been looking for the last couple months and have found a couple boats that we are very interested in. An 05 Malibu VLX and an 06 Tige 22VE.

The VLX has 500 hours, looks in good shape, stereo, 4 ballast tanks, wedge, the dealer says the tower is in good shape, 340 monsoon engine

The 22VE has 250 hours, also looks in good shape, has Taps 2 but no ballast, 340 vortec engine

I've read that there has been some issues with those engines in the Tige and having no ballast is would mean I would have to install. Also the boats are 5 hours away so service won't be done at that dealership and there is no Tige dealership where I live.

The malibu looks good and has the quad ballast. Is there any specific things I should check out for this year and motor? Have they had any issues?

Thanks for your help guys
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-19-2012, 12:23 PM Reply   
Unless the Tige is way cheaper to account for the fact you will have to install ballast and there is no dealer close by go with the Malibu all day long. The 340 monsoon engine is one of the best engines ever put in a boat.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-19-2012, 2:33 PM Reply   
do you have a set amount you want to spend, there are many great boats, but i would focus on what you intend to do with it, ie surf, board, ski and what % of the time. You cant go wrong with any newer vdrives, but you may be dissapointed if you have plans on doing one thing mainly, deeper v boats usually make a much easier surf wave, need less weight and cut rough water better than flat transom wakeboats, xstar's are an example of a great wakdboarding wake, but really struggle to produce a good surf wave. Just some food for thought. good luck
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-20-2012, 1:40 PM Reply   
I am in Manitoba and spent a good deal of time looking as well. I bought an 07 Epic 23v on eBay from Minneapolis. The best deals are in the USA, but travel and taxes add to the overall cost. There were a number of boats in Utah and California and I just about bought an MB and a Supra in Utah. Another Supra came available in Kewlona but I was a few days late to make an offer.

Most of the inboards share similar engines (gm marine small block) with different accessories and ECM modules. All parts are readily available on line or from a dealer in Saskatoon.

Most of the hulls are all well built, and do not usually require much repair. Gauges are another issue depending on how fancy it is. Faria gauges are pretty standard in a number of boats.

Ballast is something you might want to grow into. You probably don't want to slam it down right away. However, lots of bags on the floor is a PITA.

Lots of suggestions here. That Tige 22Ve is nice. If it is close and the price is right jump on it. If you want a ride in my Epic come on out to Winnipeg.
Old     (saskrider)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-20-2012, 2:37 PM Reply   
Thanks for info everyone,

Frank, I have been looking in the states as well, the price on this malibu is pretty good and only a 5 hour drive, no customs or anything to deal with. As far as the ballast I would want it for surfing and boarding, I am no pro but have ridden behind boats with ballast (stock or a little more, not 4K or anything crazy) and am comfortable with it, if the boat didn't have ballast it would just cost me more to put it in.

There is an Epic dealer here in Saskatoon, and we looked at a couple new ones but way out of the price range and they didnt have any used. I also have a friend who has one also but I haven't gotten a chance to ride it, so hopefully this summer I will get a chance.

I've ridden behind a couple malibu's with that hull and liked the wake, it is plenty big enough for me with the stock ballast and the boat is very comfortable so I guess the familiarity with it is a big plus for me.

The only problem now is I broke my leg playing hockey on monday and am in a boot for atleast 4 weeks before I can rehab and meet with the orthopedic surgeon in 2 weeks to see if I need surgery which would lengthen the time off by quite a bit so I'm gonna wait and see how it plays out before we do anything