Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (spf2275)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-26-2011, 7:49 PM Reply   
Looks like my son has knee surfin dialed in. Time to stand.

http://youtu.be/PcCgWTws0JY
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-26-2011, 8:06 PM Reply   
cool little surfer dude!!
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       06-27-2011, 6:52 AM Reply   
that is so cool!
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-27-2011, 8:00 AM Reply   
COOL!

looks like a great way to get them started!

how do you start him in the water?
Old     (spf2275)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-27-2011, 8:56 AM Reply   
He starts on his belly and we pull real slow so he can get into the pocket then he just crawls up to his knees. Once he's on his knees the Cruise is set at 10.6 mph. Very simple. We started him this way so he could learn how the wave works and feels. It's hard to tell in the video but the wave is actually taller than him.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-27-2011, 11:28 AM Reply   
That is very cool for your son! It is exciting to see them progress.

My 8 yr old finally was able to get up on the surf board this last week all by himself without us being in the water helping him manage the board.

It does make me wonder though how much carbon monoxide exposure your son is getting being that close to the boat while still very low to the water. I think I would want FAE on my boat if I was going to have my kids learn like that. Totally not trying to rain on your parade....just asking a serious safety question.
Old     (spf2275)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-27-2011, 12:29 PM Reply   
I think that is a great concern actually. The boat is low emissions certified which I'm sure helps to some extent. Riding like this definitely shouldn't be the norm but an effective way for a child to find the sweet spot. Should only take once then move them up to their feet.
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-27-2011, 3:15 PM Reply   
This is awesome. Thanks for sharing, Joel. I have been wondering the easiest way to get my kids started. They arlready knee board (and start on their stomach, then get up to their knees). So this should be perfect for them! (and I have an FAE already)
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-28-2011, 12:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnate View Post
This is awesome. Thanks for sharing, Joel. I have been wondering the easiest way to get my kids started. They arlready knee board (and start on their stomach, then get up to their knees). So this should be perfect for them! (and I have an FAE already)
Wake9 has some great hints/videos on how to get the little ones started. Ragboy has taught a ton of people to wakesurf.