Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (vguy75)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-21-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
Greetings,

I'm looking at upgrading from my '79 Mastercraft Skier and am considering the following boats in a direct drive configuration:
1. '92 - '95 Mastercraft Prostar 205
2. '94 - '99 Supra Sunsport (love the older ones, but don't have time to deal with a floor / stringer replacement)
3. '96+ Malibu Sun/Wakesetter
4. '96+ Prostar 205

My budget is around $12-13k, which might put the later 90's models out of the equation, but I may save more and buy something next year instead. Haven't really given much thought to Correct Craft or Sanger as they are rare in the NE.

Considerations are:
1. Room for family and friends - 2 couples and 2-3 small kids and dog

2. Good ski wake (ski 75% and beginer / intermediate wakeboard 25% of the time)
- '92 - '95 Prostar 205 would likely win this

3. Good ride in a 2'+ chop - yes, I know they're ski boats, so they won't ride like a i/o deep vee, but anything better than my '79 would be an improvment)
- based on the drop keel, I'm thinking the Supra would have the upper hand here and the '92-'95 205 would come in last.

4. Handling - like the responsiveness of my '79, understand a bigger boat won't handle quite as crisply

5. Freeboard - really not interested in burying the bow and/or having kids / dogs jump/fall out
- I think the Supra would win in this category, but are the others okay? From what I've read, yes - basically depends on the driver / conditions, and they're all better than something like a Conbrio / Mariah, etc.

6. Quality - I know this gets kicked around a lot here, but maybe more than quality I'm thinking durability - i.e. stitching, upholstery resistance to cracking / bleaching, do the gauges still work after 15+ yrs, durability of floors (does the core material fail - even though they are all "non-wood" construction, do seats / hinges, etc get loose and/or are prone to having screws / bolts loosen / strip, etc

If different engine packages were available, what should I be looking for (ie. carb vs fuel injected in Prostar 205).

I'm leaning towards trying to find a clean '92 - '95 205, but like the look of the Supra and figured that the Sun/Wakesetter with Diamond hull and '96+ 205 might provide a better ride at the cost of a skiwake. Bonus with Supra and 'Bu would be HP, unless I went with LT1 in 205, but I'm in brackish water sometimes, so wasn't sure how well the aluminum would hold up.

What are your thoughts on playpen bow vs benches? What about L-shape seat like the Prostar vs bench like the Malibu?

Any feedback will really be appreciated - especially if you've ridden in 2 or more of these boats I'd love to hear from you so I can begin to get a better sense of how they compare. I'd go test drive them, but they are quite rare in Nova Scotia, so I think it will be a matter of choosing one and driving 10-12 hrs to Maine / Vermont / New Hampshire / New York to get one.