Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-23-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
anyone have any experience flying this airline? I was planning on flying to oregon to see my folks and bring my 3 year old along. found some really good deals on the days I can fly. I have heard they charge the bejeesus out of you on surcharges and luggage though.
anyone have any personal experience? good or bad?
would love to hear about them.
thanks
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-23-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
Only good experience here and flew with them several times from Mesa, AZ to Medford. Only bad thing is their luggage fees are steep, but I always took one carry on. Also, don't pay to upgrade your seats, just select when you get there. I was always able to get the emergency row since I am 6'5" that was huge. Only bad is the seats dont recline on those rows. Over all just good experiences with them.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-23-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
Just booked some flights....pretty brutal. Pricing goes something like this...

Copied from confirmation. ( 3 Adults)

AIRFARE:
$323.28

SEGMENT FEES:
$22.20

PFC:
$27.00

911 SECURITY:
$15.00

PREPAID BAGS: We have 2 bags each as we are golfing
$330.00

SEAT SELECTION FEE:
$83.94

PRIORITY BOARDING:
$29.94

CONVENIENCE FEE:
$42.00

TRIP FLEX:
$47.94

TOTAL:

$921.30

What starts out cheap isn't so cheap by the time your done.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-23-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
That's just stupid. 3x what it started at!
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-23-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
We do a lot of there maintenance but I have never flown on them.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-23-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
I have flown on Allegiant Air 17 times from Mesa, AZ to Peoria, IL. I usually fly for $78 with no luggage. I send my clothes FedEx...
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-23-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
I used them a couple of years ago. They used to have a rate from Chattanooga to St. Pete, that was 29.00 one way (not counting the fees) and my wife and I were able to fly roundtrip for about 200.00, with bags (one suitcase and one golf bag). It was a pretty good experience, no inflight complimentary beverage or snack, though. It looks like they've increased the rates.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-23-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
It is the confirmation above that scares me. I am flying LAX to Medford with a three year old. this means, stroller and car seat. I can get away with one suitcase and a carry-on, but am afraid I am going to get raped with that stuff. plus, with a small child I need to make sure I have the seat next to her. ugh. might end up being cheaper at $400 pp with alaska or united.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-23-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
I've gone to Orlando from Appleton, WI... $127 round trip... I just had carryon and UPS'ed my wakeboard down.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-23-2010, 11:22 AM Reply   
I don't know what flights are like out of LAX, but out of Mesa they let adults traveling with kids board first without charging and they seat you together. I also noticed that most flights are not too full and the people are usually really good about letting people sit together. Yes their luggage fees do suck, but if you can do like some have and Fed Ex your luggage that may save you some$$
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-23-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
I went ahead and booked it. round trip for under $500 for the both of us. I unchecked the "checked bag" box since they are charging me $40 per bag right now, but if I decide to check a bag when I get there, it will only cost me $35. I did a screen print of that page to bring along with me. I am going to look into fed exing our luggage up though. all of the fee's they add on are lame though. I am going to cross my fingers and hope someone does not mind switching seats to let me sit with my own kid though. hopefully no one busts balls too hard over that.
I can't imagine many people are flying to medford on a monday morning anyways.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-23-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
I think you will be fine. How far are you from the airport? When I flew to Medford, My flight left at 5:00 p.m. and I used to go by the Airport at 9:00 a.m. that day to get my seat and boarding pass. I think they have a 24 hour policy, so you might go by the day before and try and pick your seats. Just make sure you go an hour or so before another flight leaves, because they do not always have someone at their counter.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-23-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
my parents are about 40-45 minutes outside of medford. getting to LAX in the am will be the tougher part of my trip. probably have to leave an hour earlier than normal to make sure I am there in plenty of time.
thanks for the tips guys.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-23-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
I fly them ALOT out of Springfield, MO... They run killer specials to Tampa St Pete and Orlando Clearwater. I've flown one way before for $14.99. on average though their flights are in the $49-$89 each way range. Always had good experience. Easy flights - their extra fees are a little bit much but I usually overlook them when I'm getting flights cheap cheap.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-23-2010, 3:31 PM Reply   
I've flown them quite a few times from FL to MD. Actually just few back to down last night with them. Their prices are pretty good and you can remove all the seat assignments and priority boarding fees when you are booking it. They'll just assign you a seat when you check in, I've been assigned an exit row a few times which is nice.

The bad though is that as least for the Sanford FL/Hagerstown MD flight their on time record is horrendous. I was delayed over an hour each way this past trip and have had delays in the 4 hour range with them before. For the four hour one they did call my cell phone and let me know ahead of time. But this last trip was $88 round trip with all the fees included, for that price I can deal with some delays. But if I had to be there on time I would find a different airline.